14MZ question posted where the users know the radio - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Aerobatics Scale Aerobatics/IMAC in Canada

Old 01-22-2015, 05:52 AM   #1
itizme
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Steve W.
Radio of choice:
notarectum

Total Props: 42
14MZ question posted where the users know the radio

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Two issues since indoor started this year as follows:

Random error that the rf module is not attached, would clear with one or two reboots, reinserting the module making no difference.

Then very recently there would be an error window in Japanese that would close and then the same rf module not attached error and very difficult to clear, once this did clear the other night the error did happen once again but never when I was trying to get some pics or vid of the error.
Futaba in Illinois said that this has been seen and this is followed by the main board death. Send in to be checked ( it had a clean bill of health, new switches and screen last year). BTW, main board $780 US = get it there and back and labor.....

On line I could find some things related to the CF card and the small error window, I am using a top quality Scan Disk industrial card, Omron cards do not work, tried that first.
I wanted to get more info by capturing the error windows but since Monday night indoor I can not get it to happen again. Tonight I did another update to the radio and changed the CF card in hopes it is simply the card.

Does anyone know if I am barking up the right or wrong tree? I really don't want to buy another radio and most certainly am not going to spend a grand to repair a radio.

Update, I just noticed while backing up my files that the card I was using is a Lexar 4gb and not my normal ScanDisk 1gb Indutrial, don't know if that makes a difference
itizme is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:51 AM   #2
Billpilotca
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bill T
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Total Props: 21
Re: 14MZ question posted where the users know the radio

Wow, not a happy scenario.

Have never seen the error you are describing. Just trying to understand the relationship with the CF card. Does this only happen when you are using a model stored on the CF card vs radio memory ?

The only thing re the cards is they must be formatted FAT and not FAT32 to work properly in the 14MZ. I know the radio tends not to like larger GB cards but I have generally found they work as long as formatted FAT vs FAT32.

Worrisome if Futaba Hobby Services is saying that often followed by main board death. I tend to trust those guys but $800 for a new board is way too steep.

Just another thought, might be worth trying another RF module to see if it is the module vs radio.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:20 AM   #3
itizme
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
notarectum

Hi Bill
Ed says I can try his spares to see how I make out. It's not so bad for indoor fun but that's my trust limit right now, if we were not talking 130-150 gram foamies I'd have no test bed.
Unfortunately I wasn't smart enough to see into.my future when Dave had his broken screen MZ for sale.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:55 AM   #4
Billpilotca
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bill T
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Total Props: 21

Man this is not nice for sure. They are great radios and I hope you find a cheaper solution. I have never had a problem with mine except when I broke the original touch screen. Fully understand re the trust thing.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:18 AM   #5
Eye Can Fly
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Brent S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 12

I've often wondered if using a high output/input radio device in an reflective (cement, cinder brick...) environment causes overload to some components. Hope you don't have to replace the expensive pieces.
Eye Can Fly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:57 PM   #6
NDW
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Nelson D
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 10

Steve..... Never had a problem with my Spectrum.... .....Just say'n See ya next Monday night.... My time in the penalty box is over...

D.
NDW is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:07 PM   #7
itizme
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
notarectum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye Can Fly View Post
I've often wondered if using a high output/input radio device in an reflective (cement, cinder brick...) environment causes overload to some components. Hope you don't have to replace the expensive pieces.
Just to my chocolate bar.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:07 PM   #8
itizme
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
notarectum

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDW View Post
Steve..... Never had a problem with my Spectrum.... .....Just say'n See ya next Monday night.... My time in the penalty box is over...

D.
Monday for sure Dave!!
Old 01-22-2015, 05:17 PM   #9
VA6WGO
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Will
Radio of choice:
Futaba 32MZ
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 15

Hi Steve,

I am not convinced that you have an RF issue, flying indoors shouldn't cause an RF module to fail. I used my old 14MZ for years indoors, in my living room, I have set up my planes with the radio on the table and never had an issue.
It sounds to me that your CF card might be the issue. I had a bad SD card in my 18MZ once and it took for ever to boot up, once I pulled the card out, all issues went away.

A card that is 1Gb is more than sufficient, actually a 256 is all you need for the 14MZ, also make sure that is a dedicated card just for the radio.

I hope that solves your problems.

Cheers,

Will
Falcon Props
VA6WGO is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in