OS 46sf quitting when hot - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 10:06 PM   #11
leopard1
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Paul Petrie
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9cSuper
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 0
Smile Re: OS 46sf quitting when hot

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Here is a link to a manual for you:

http://thelukens.net/airplanes/Acces...n%20Manual.pdf

Print it out and you should be well on your way

Cheers,
leopard1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:34 PM   #12
Ramz
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mark Ramsay
Radio of choice:
Anything but Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics

Total Props: 20
Re: OS 46sf quitting when hot

What prop are you running?
Ramz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:14 AM   #13
floodwayroscoe
RCC Apprentice

Thanks for the manual leopard1! I am running a Master Airscrew 11x7. Too much prop???
floodwayroscoe is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:58 PM   #14
floodwayroscoe
RCC Apprentice

Well I picked up some 5% Omega with Castor, a few new #8 plugs and disassembled/cleaned the carb. Tried the settings listed by Cougar429(Thank you). Not sure what you mean by 'out 3/4'. If you turn in the idle mixture too far, it starts opening the carb-slide? Tried the 4D instructions but they made no sense(talked about tangentied???)Played around for about an hour and got it running alright and tried a flight. Thing deadsticked at low altitude and had to land downwind. Broken nose gear and wing tip. I read in another post about blowing in the carb,listening for air and such. Does anyone know a simple explanation of where the idle mixture screw should start out at? Thank you.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:03 PM   #15
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 9

Hi,

Note: The following is for a carburettor mounted on the front of the engine. If you have a rear mounted one (it has an extra fuel line connection from the back of the engine to the front) let us know.

The low speed mixture adjustment needle on a two valve carburettor is typically in the center of the throttle arm (the arm the servo linkage attaches to) and will have a slotted screw and is opposite the the high speed needle adjustment.

On the older carburettor the low speed mixture adjustment is done by an "air bleed screw". This typically has a screw and spring on the top of the carburettor.

Both types of carburettors usually have an idle stop adjustment as well, it is typically a screw, with a spring, on top of the carburettor and if backed out too far will allow the barrel in the carburettor to slide out - it is used to adjust the speed of the idle of the engine.

The adjustment procedure for both can be located at this thread.
https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/show...24&postcount=4

The pictures should be in your motor manual, if you don't have the manual, you can usually find them on line.

Most quitting problems in flight are caused by improper low speed needle adjustment.

Hope this helps.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne

Last edited by Wayne MIller; 07-21-2009 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Identifying front or rear
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:11 PM   #16
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 18

A good place to start.
Attach a piece of fuel line to carb. Adjust the carb idle stop so it just closes on a straight pin. Blow in the fuel line, adjust the idle mixture so a small bit of air is coming out with the throttle closed. open the throttle wide open, adjust the high speed needle so you can hear some restriction in the air coming out of the needle, you can stop blowing now! Run the engine and set the high speed needle a little rich. close the throttle, wait 20 seconds and pinch the fuel line. the engine should speed up slightly then quit. If it just quits then the idle is too lean, if it speeds up a lot then quits the idle mixture is too rich. This is the Duke Fox check. If you can hear air leaking beside the piston when you turn it over slowly the piston or cylinder is damaged. check the fuel line for bubbles when the engine is running. Good luck

Kip
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:32 PM   #17
floodwayroscoe
RCC Apprentice

Thanks, will try that!
Old 08-06-2009, 08:49 AM   #18
wymbly1971
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
Taranis X9E
# of RCs: 28?

Total Props: 4

It could possibly be too much prop causing the overheating.

I have a GP Cessna 182 with a Royal 46 (an OS 46SF knockoff). I used an 11x6 MA while I was flying on floats a couple weeks back. I found any throttle over 1/2 made no difference in airspeed at all and found the combo to be dangerously lazy overall.

It seemed the engine just didn't have any more power (and I know it's capable of pulling like a mule).

Without the floats, the plane flies like a dream. My float gear has as little drag as possible, so I'm thinking a 10x6 would work much better by getting the RPM's up a bit and getting some more pulling torque.

The test stand suggested is a VERY good idea and so is a tach. My Royal was a total bitch for awhile. I found the low speed set to almost closed (you can see it protruding into the carb throat) and the high speed initially set at 2 turns out made a good starting point.
MAAC #77168
Director - Lakehead Aeromodellers

Gravity doesn't Discriminate
wymbly1971 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #19
floodwayroscoe
RCC Apprentice

Thank you for the reply. Since the original post I messed around with almost all settings and combinations of this plane. I installed a 10x6 prop to bring up the rpm and it helped. I tried using Fox brand glow plugs and spending about 2 hours and a box of beer messing with the carb. Seems to run better until it has been in the air for about 10 minutes. As I described earlier it seems to blow alot of black liquid crap from the muffler and I think that it slows down the pumping action of fuel into the carb. When it dies, it will not start until I prime the motor with my hand on the muffler output. I am going to try a different brand of fuel next. Thanks again.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in