Radian Pro servo noise - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Sailplanes / Electro-gliders Discuss quiet flight in Canada.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:20 AM   #1
qwertydog
RCC Noob

I am: John S.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX6
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0
Question Radian Pro servo noise

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi everyone, I have recently bought a Radian Pro and have a weird problem with it. After assembling it on the dining room table ( Too big for my hobby table ! ) I went through the binding to my Spektrum DX6 and then adjusted all the surface travel and trim as per the instructions. However, with it sitting there with the Tx an Rx turned on there is a loud high pitch whine coming from the aileron servos. ( It wasn't coming from the wife, as she said it was OK to use the table ) I disconnected the push rods from the servos and that did not make any change, the whine is still there, it only stops when I unplug the servos from the Rx. I have not flown this baby yet as I would like to resolve this issue before it takes to the wind. What should I do ?
qwertydog is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:26 AM   #2

Total Props: 57
Re: Radian Pro servo noise

Hit it with a hammer! Kidding!!!

I have seen this happen when the servo has some tension (resistance) on it in the neutral position. As you have probably noticed, the hinges are foam and taped. You might try un-doing the control rod and manually work in the hinges.

My Son-in-laws aileron control surfaces make an odd noise, but we flew it anyway. I say go fly it, but hopefully others more experienced will chime in here.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
qwertydog
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX6

I disconnected the push rods, so there was no load at all on the servos and they still made that noise. That is the real puzzle to me, I could understand it if they were loaded up with a bit of resistance from the hinges.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:09 AM   #4

Total Props: 57

Move out to where there isn't a chance of other electrical interference, like outside, and try it with your Tx further away from the plane.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:41 AM   #5
ddruck
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Dan D.
Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

Total Props: 5

Work the servos for a while, Parkzone servos are not particularly quality servos but they work and are known to be noisy. My Stryker servos are always buzzing for the last year, but have not failed yet and yes it is a centering issue.
Dan
ddruck is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
Helno
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Ryan D

Total Props: 45

I looked it up and the Radian pro appears to come with digital servos. These make far more noise than conventional servos because of how they operate.

Analog servos have an Op-amp that determines the drive voltage to the servo motor so the further off position the servo is the more voltage it applied. In a digital servo any position error causes full voltage to be applied, this is why they make so much noise but lso why they have a large amount of holding torque.

Nothing to worry about. Ignore the noise and enjoy the performance.
Helno is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
qwertydog
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX6

Thanks for all the advise guys ! I have not had this problem with any servos on other planes so this was making me nervous. I had visions of my new toy doing some wild and crazy stunts before the inevitable high speed crash landing.
So now if the weather will cooperate with my work schedule, raining when I work and dry when I'm off, I will give the Radian it's maiden flight. I will let you know how it performed.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #8
rcmarky
RCC Noob

I am: Mark B.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX-7
# of RCs: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertydog View Post
Thanks for all the advise guys ! I have not had this problem with any servos on other planes so this was making me nervous. I had visions of my new toy doing some wild and crazy stunts before the inevitable high speed crash landing.
So now if the weather will cooperate with my work schedule, raining when I work and dry when I'm off, I will give the Radian it's maiden flight. I will let you know how it performed.
Hello!
I also believe that this is due to the servos being digital. My servos chirp like magpies in heat on my Radian Pro. I have Hitec 7966's on my Trex 600 NSP that are very loud, but are still running perfectly after 2 years of 'chirping'.

Good luck on the maiden.

Cheers.
rcmarky is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:11 AM   #9
Heliboy
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Rob S
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD 10
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 2

I also have a Radian Pro and yes one of my aileron servos is making that same high pitch whine...The plane flies quite well and I've not really noticed a significant premature battery drain nor any degree of in flight glitching.
Heliboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:43 AM   #10
Hughes500E
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 16

I too own a Radian Pro. I believe the servos are digital!

Great glider!
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in