Old 12-26-2004, 04:03 PM   #11
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Wayne wrote: "Hope this helps."

Excellent and very thourough explaination Wayne! I continue to be amazed at the knowledge base found here on RCC and the great folks who will take the time to offer a detailed probable solution to a problem!!

Permatex is great stuff and works about the best that I have personally found. I purchased my tube at Canadian Tire in the automotive section FYI.

Bob Hudson turned me on to the stuff when I had an exhaust leak in my Saito 1.80 ( the header pipe kept working loose ) while at an IMAC event in Northern Ontario. Solved the problem quickly and completely even in this high heat area! The price is very reasonable and one tube will last you for years! Everyone should have a tube in their flight box.

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-26-2004, 04:59 PM   #12
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Thanks

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your vote of confidence, it is especially meaningful since I've followed your excellent advice to others and was impressed.

I was hoping to meet you at the K/W Scale Rally, but missed you. Hopefully we will meet at one of the upcoming events.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:39 AM   #13
Ed Smith

Total Props: 0
With reference to air leakage, the condition of the front bearing will have no effect at all on the running of the engine. In our racing engines some of us remove the bearing seal or shield. This allows fuel to be forced through the bearing thus providing lubrication at the high rpms. This also shows that the crankcase pressure will push out not suck anything IN through the front, including dirt.

With an older engine there is a possibility that the clearance between the crankshaft and the case has worn excessively. This would create an intermittent fuel supply as the inlet window in the shaft will not close as precisely as it should. Even this type of wear is doubtful, if the bearings are in good shape they will limit the amount of contact between the shaft and case, thus preventing the type of wear that so many talk about.

The type of problem you describe can usually be traced to the carburater. In a crash the carb takes a pounding. This usually elongates the hole in the case causing leakage. The needle could be bent, the seat could be damaged and on and on. The carb has to be disassembled and checked thoroughly.

Think about this. Fuel can enter the engine only through the fuel line and spray bar, nowhere else. If there is leakage then excess air is getting in not fuel. This would cause a lean run not a rich one.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-27-2004, 01:25 PM   #14
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

That is exactly the type of info I was talking about and taking the time to thouroughly and understandably explaining it! Thanks Ed!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:35 PM   #15
plowboy
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: al h
Radio of choice:
futaba
# of RCs: 20

GMS 47

We had a problem with the same motor, a little different but the same, a new motor that was almost thrown out before we found that the bolt that holds the carb worked better when it was put in from the other side of the housing, and sealed as well. Sometimes even new has problems
Al
plowboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:11 PM   #16
Ken E
RCC Contributor

Thanks, I'll also give that a try. Ken
Ken E is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in