Het l-39 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
Bob Byrnes
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Robert B

Total Props: 1
Het l-39

I have ordered up a HET L-39 to go with my new Stu-Max fan to run on 10 cells. I wanted the Jet-Teng, but, it was just a bit more than I wanted to spend. The feedback on the RC Groups thread on this plane seems very positive and for me to move up from the 90 mm foamies it represents good value. I was going to wait for the Hobby King Hawk, but, who knows how long that will take. I have, and still am selling off some of the other planes I have collected,but, for right now will keep my Fly-Fly Sabre. I am not quite like the "Vettster", in so far as I don't want one of each R/C jet. I'd like to try to get a little more "focus" in my participation in the hobby now that I have acquired some experience with EDF. I see Ken Park up in Ottawa is getting one also, so there should be some Albatross formation flying in Ottawa next June. Anyway, Christmas has come really early this year, now the wait for the packages. Best Regards you guys.
Bob Byrnes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #2

Total Props: 57
Re: Het l-39

Way to go! Bob. Its a beutiful jet, and Im sure youll love it.

And BTW...Im not the only one that wants everone of them...ask DaveCrash
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
lilphil26
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: The cookie monster
Radio of choice:
Futaba baby!!!
# of RCs: 911

Total Props: 7

Bob, I just cut the grass in the pouring rain just for you, so no excuses, get out there and show us how she flies!!
Old 10-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
Bob Byrnes
RCC Expert Contributor

I just ordered it, I havn't got it yet. I'm thinking it will be a "winter" assembly project by the time it gets here. It should be a tad quicker than the F-86. Why are you cutting in the rain? OOPS, I guess with the forecast for the next few days you have little choice. Don't forget the meeting season starts on Sunday.....
Old 10-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
lilphil26
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: The cookie monster
Radio of choice:
Futaba baby!!!
# of RCs: 911

Ah ok well i will try to keep the grass short over the winter for you then. I wont be around for this meeting but maybe the next one.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
Bob Byrnes
RCC Expert Contributor

Got a big box in the mail today. I decided to go with the Breitling Jet Team scheme and it looks pretty good. Everything was well packaged and is damage free. The shrink wrap on the wings is the most wrinkle free I have ever had on an ARF. It looks to be a straight forward build, but, I plan to take my time and try to do all the assemblies properly instead of rushing throught like I typically do. My stuff came from HK too, so I am well supplied with wires, coneectors and all that stuff. I just have to figure out an "anti-spark" system since that is highly recommended for the 10 cell set-up. I am only short a servo for the elevator and I plan to use a good one since it is a single servo design. Anyway, I'm out of excuses and will have to make a start.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #7
davecrash
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: David R
# of RCs: 99

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
Way to go! Bob. Its a beutiful jet, and Im sure youll love it.

And BTW...Im not the only one that wants everone of them...ask DaveCrash
I can think of 1 or 2 I don't want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Byrnes View Post
I have ordered up a HET L-39 to go with my new Stu-Max fan to run on 10 cells. I wanted the Jet-Teng, but, it was just a bit more than I wanted to spend. The feedback on the RC Groups thread on this plane seems very positive and for me to move up from the 90 mm foamies it represents good value. I was going to wait for the Hobby King Hawk, but, who knows how long that will take. I have, and still am selling off some of the other planes I have collected,but, for right now will keep my Fly-Fly Sabre. I am not quite like the "Vettster", in so far as I don't want one of each R/C jet. I'd like to try to get a little more "focus" in my participation in the hobby now that I have acquired some experience with EDF. I see Ken Park up in Ottawa is getting one also, so there should be some Albatross formation flying in Ottawa next June. Anyway, Christmas has come really early this year, now the wait for the packages. Best Regards you guys.
Where did you get the Stu-max? I have been looking around for something other then a HET\Wemo. I ordered the HK Hawk and something like that would be awesome, I haven't found any local dealers yet.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:35 AM   #8
Bob Byrnes
RCC Expert Contributor

I ordered it from USARCJETS. That Billy "D" chap you see on RC Groups. He is in Ohio and put me on a list for when he got them in stock and I got it right away. I know the sound is great,but, I will be amazed if it is really worth 8 times the price of a HET fan.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:08 AM   #9
ken park
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ken Park

Hi Bob

Got Started building the HET L39 this weekend.

Started with the Rudder - Carefully cut the Rudder from the vertical stab with a sharp Xacto blade - Got Balsa into the hollow rudder in 3 places so hinges would have a place to hold. Used 1/4" block balsa glued ontop of open end of the Rudder and sanded it round. I then had to remove a 1/4" strip from the sides of the vertical stab on each side to accomodate the rounded balsa of the rudder so it would remain flush. Mounted wood into the vertical stab to accomadate the hinges. I then capped the open area of the vertical stab with 1/32" ply. I hope to finish up by hinging the rudder to the vertical stab with 3 Robart hinges using gorillia glue.

This is my first experience with fiberglass kits - I think I should lightly glass all the exposed balsa part before I get things hinged.

It looks like the next big step with the rudder is getting the servo installed in the vertical stab.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:00 AM   #10
Bob Byrnes
RCC Expert Contributor

I think I'll do the same modifictaion. I have been in the hobby for years and have hardly ever had a plane with rudder, but, I guess I might as well. My others fly just fine with aileron and elevator only.. I think I would use a little finishing epoxy or even a bit of water based polyurethane on the exposed wood to give a base for the paint you will have to touch up with. I received some new servos yesterday and found a source for the "thermal grease" required in the assembly of the Stu-Max fan, so I am out of excuses and will make a start today. The elevator horn on mine was stuck by the over application of resin during construction. I had to cut it out and free it up, so I have a small re-finish job to do on the underside of the horizontal stab. No big deal, but, you buy ARF's to avoid this. I am still very keen to get this one going. Overall the finish on this jet is very good. The wing spars seem a little puny, but, if that "Victor" guy that flies for Electric Jet Factory hasn't torn the wings off his I guess they're OK if you get them stuck on properly. I like his addition of some balsa in the base of the vertical stab for more glue area since that's a big stab with only a small "lip" to attach it to. I'm going to go slow and try to do this one right without getting my typical glue finger marks all over it. Life is better with toys.
Best Regards
Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in