EDF Avro Arrow - Page 26 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #251
cicopo
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Larry
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 42
Re: EDF Avro Arrow

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
NIFTY. Looks like something that needs a bit more experimentation but is worth the time.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #252
davecrash
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: David R
# of RCs: 99

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrocat View Post
It came down to the Safety Code and one key item: will not fly an aircraft at a pubic event, or something similar to that.

http://www.maac.ca/docs/2011/the_maa...rev_jn2010.pdf
Actually, it's Article #1 I shall not operate a Model in competition or in the presence of spectators until it has been proven airworthy and/or safely operational by a previous successful test.

Probably sounded like a great idea at inception but no one applied the sanity check before sending the paperwork to MAAC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutkoski View Post
Well, that's too bad in a way, I guess you could not get around that rule, unless, perhaps it was not open to the public, only participants and there was no fee. Then it would be sorta like just testing a lot of planes......with a lot of guests.....
Hi Bob, That is how the event was run last year. Only pilots were invited, One flight at a time with a spotter. No competiton or prizes. It was a great way for guys to have their planes checked out before flight by other pilots too.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #253
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Dutkoski
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 11

Well, not only does the new bungee work great, I installed the old motor from my doomed Styker hoping it would have enough power to get it back to me. Not only that, the darn thing flew really good, scooted right along and it was slightly windy to boot. It actually did all that was asked of it, rolls, loops, hovered, inverted and lands very slowly. Of course the motor was definitely working hard for its size. A slightly more powerful motor would certainly improve the performance.

The chaps at the field were so impressed that I got orders for 4 of these foamies and they didn't even ask for the price. So, I'll consider this first batch to be beta kits and see how it goes. I'll use the master plugs as vacuum molds for the tail cone, nacelles, turtledeck and canopy section. I might even make a hard mold for a nose cone.

Want to keep the costs down to around $90.00 to $100.00 retail.
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #254
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Talking Re: EDF Avro Arrow

Worth the time, maybe, so far, I have orders for seven copies. SO, I did use the master molds or plugs of the canopy, turtle deck fairing, the two nacelle intakes and the tail cone ( which I might not use now, will make a substitute mold ) to make vacuformed parts. Doesn't look great but not too bad. Made a bunch of hot wire templates to cut the foam to shape so it'll be not only quicker to assemble but stronger airframe and more scale looking.

Oh, I tested a few cheap motors from Hobby King, didn't like the performance, so strapped on a Mega ACn 22/30/2 motor (I just had it on the shelf looking for a home), a 20C 5000 mah 3 cell battery and a 80 amp ESC. Using an ACP 9" - 4.5 electric prop. Well, what a difference, hovered around 630 watts of power at 58 amp on full throttle. Plus, the whole package is only 42 oz.....

Was going to go the field this morning to give it a toss, but woke up to grey skies and some rain, perhaps a bit later in the day.

If this works out, I'll have to start another thread in the electric power section being this is the ducted fan forum....oh boy, another kit, another manual to make....
Old 05-11-2012, 09:56 PM   #255
davecrash
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: David R
# of RCs: 99

Total Props: 6

Are you going to bring any of these to Ottawa?
Old 06-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #256
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Yep, I have 6 foamie kits in the box and I am fiberglassing like crazy to get 3 composite kits of the Arrow. I hope to have at least a Banshee II and a Mig-17 kit ready for sale as well.

Here is my next winter project, I figure a couple of really powerful 70 mm's should do the job, well, maybe not......the project is so old I had black hair back then....... It was going to be powered by a pair of Dynamax 5" fans and O.S. 91DF motors. But now, a good strong turbine will be the order of the day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Arrow and John0001.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	153949  
Old 06-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #257
DW_Crash
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Dave K
Radio of choice:
Airtronics / Aristocraft-Polks
# of RCs: 25+

Total Props: 3

Quote:
Yep, I have 6 foamie kits in the box and I am fiberglassing like crazy to get 3 composite kits of the Arrow. I hope to have at least a Banshee II and a Mig-17 kit ready for sale as well.

Here is my next winter project, I figure a couple of really powerful 70 mm's should do the job, well, maybe not......the project is so old I had black hair back then....... It was going to be powered by a pair of Dynamax 5" fans and O.S. 91DF motors. But now, a good strong turbine will be the order of the day.
Hello Dutkoski,

I love what you have done in the larger Arrow. I have several turbine aching to get into an Arrow frame that size...Are you Kitting? how much? Will you ship to Edmonton? Is it single tailpipe or bifurcated?

Love your Arrow,
Dave
Old 06-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #258
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Talking Re: EDF Avro Arrow

It'll most likely be a big single with a bifurcated tail pipe. This will keep the cost down, the weight down and most important, the complexity down so even I could figure it out. With two engines, you duplicate virtually all of the equipment so weight is a big issue considering the design of the main landing gears.
Kitting it, well that goes without saying, gotta make a buck. How much is the million dollar question, no idea, I will have to have the two main landing gears and retracts custom made, no CNC for such a small production run so they will be hand made. I hope to be able to use some off the shelf retracts and just modify them to fit and they'll be electric. So it'll all depend on how much it'll cost to have custom item like that done.
I was told the working drawings were complied from actual Avro drawings supplied by Jim Floyd so they are about as accurate as you can get now a days.
When I start the project, again, I'll post it in the jet section.

Also, I'll ship to the moon if needed, Edmonton is not a problem.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #259
DW_Crash
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Dave K
Radio of choice:
Airtronics / Aristocraft-Polks
# of RCs: 25+

Total Props: 3
Thumbs up Re: EDF Avro Arrow

Quote:
It'll most likely be a big single with a bifurcated tail pipe. This will keep the cost down, the weight down and most important, the complexity down so even I could figure it out. With two engines, you duplicate virtually all of the equipment so weight is a big issue considering the design of the main landing gears.
Kitting it, well that goes without saying, gotta make a buck. How much is the million dollar question, no idea, I will have to have the two main landing gears and retracts custom made, no CNC for such a small production run so they will be hand made. I hope to be able to use some off the shelf retracts and just modify them to fit and they'll be electric. So it'll all depend on how much it'll cost to have custom item like that done.
I was told the working drawings were complied from actual Avro drawings supplied by Jim Floyd so they are about as accurate as you can get now a days.
When I start the project, again, I'll post it in the jet section.

Also, I'll ship to the moon if needed, Edmonton is not a problem.
Dutkoski,

Keep in touch....I definitely want one of these Arrows for a Turbine.....I have 4 turbines looking for a home.

Dave
Old 06-11-2012, 05:22 AM   #260
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Maiden the prototype #2 Sunday, The new bungee trolley worked fantastic, the Arrow launched beautifully, nice and smooth takeoff and a smooth no problem liftoff. On the first ass, it was a hands off level, no trim needed so the CG was right one the money. Ted did several passes and different speeds, a very nice roll that was pretty quick, reported the controls were very good as well. Slowed the model down and reported the controls were a little sluggish but still maintained good control but perhaps the CG could be moved slightly aft as he was on the elevator all the time now to keep it level but not much of an issued. I was a very happy designer......
Decided to setup for landing, started slowing down on the downwind leg just and just before turning crosswind, crap happened, the motor went silent. The model was descending and now with no thrust, was loosing speed. It was obvious the model was not making it back to the field so Ted kept it wings level and landed it in the corn field. Well, it was kinda muddy retrieving it.
As we got close, we could smell the electronic burn, the ESC had fried itself and stink it did. It was a Turnigy 100 AMP that has worked many times before, so why now, who knows. Ted felt quite upset over this but it certainly wasn't anything he did, after all, he saved the model from being totally destroyed.
The Arrow suffered some minor damage to the main fuse but the front nose section was a mess. Fortunately, I had a molded nose section in the garage at home. So, once home, I stripped the electronics out, washed the mud off the model and removed the crushed forward fuselage. I then fitted the new section and will have this Arrow back in the air this week. Now I will have to hunt for a Castle Creation Ice 100 or 110 ESC .....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in