Apprentice S 15e - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 10-19-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
Richie80
RCC Noob

I am: Richie
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 0
Apprentice S 15e

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have never flown an RC aircraft so i need a plane that is more user friendly. I was reading some other posts and people seem to really like the Apprentice S 15e. From what I have been reading, people say the Apprentice is very user friendly. I was also told to look into the "Sport Cub S RTF with SAFE by HobbyZone". Some people have said it is better than the Apprentice. I am leaning towards the Apprentice but was wondering if anyone had any experience with both of those aircraft and which one they prefer.
Richie80 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
bigdbc
RCC Contributor

I am: Dean A
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 4
Re: Apprentice S 15e

My first plane was a apprentice, old version (no safe). In my opinion it is a awesome plane. I highly recommend it, also recommend some stick time on a flight simulator before taking to the air. Your best chance for success is learning from someone with experience. Good luck n have fun.

PS Altitude is your friend, it allows you time to recover.
bigdbc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:10 AM   #3
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

The new SAFE technology uses a 3 axis gyro for stability. It's the same technology in the cub AND the apprentice. So the only difference is the flight characteristics of the plane.

Both are GREAT fliers without safe. But if someone came to me and asked the question before the arrival of SAFE, I would see what kind of flier they are first. NEW flier all by himself? Flying in Parks or Flying Club? Will he be flying with an instructor?

The answer is simple- Parks and Alone = Supercub
Club fields and instructor = Apprentice.

Now safe makes the playing field equal. So remove "alone" and "Instructor" All you are left with is WHERE?

Parks and small fields= Supercub
Large fields & open spaces= Apprentice.

Does that help?

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last edited by Max; 10-21-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
Wizzard
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Wayne S.

Total Props: 6

Keep in mind the Sport Cub S is a micro plane, 24" wingspan compared to the 59" wingspan of the Apprentice, and is somewhat limited by windy conditions of course.

I would suggest the Apprentice as it is a 4 channel plane and you will advance a lot further with it as you learn as it will fly inverted, knife edges etc.

The Super Cub with Safe is a 3 channel and you are limited to learning just basic flight with it.

Like Max had mentioned above the apprentice should be flown at a club, which is a great idea as most clubs are a great place to learn even more about planes and flying....
Wizzard is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:36 AM   #5
Richie80
RCC Noob

I am: Richie
# of RCs: 1

Max, that has to be one of the best ways to explain it.

Looks like I am going to get the Apprentice!
Richie80 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:22 PM   #6
Randall C
RCC Noob

I am: Randall C
Radio of choice:
spektrum dx6i
# of RCs: 3

Hi Guys,
I'm also a newbe and haven't completely decided on which plane to buy. The ApprenticeS 15e is diffidently on my radar. I've done some talking with the guys at my local hobby shop and the Alpha 40 is also something that I am looking it.

I think I have decided which local RC club I'm going to join, and will have to confirm with them which aircrafts I am allowed to take my wings exam with. The Phoenix flight simulator has both Apprentice. The new one with SAFE and the old one without. Now if I could learn to do a flat figure 8 I have more crashes to my name then I want to admit.

RC
Randall C is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:57 PM   #7
cicopo
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Larry
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 42

Since I'm local & know people at all the local clubs I can say that that all of them are great organizations to get you flying. The major differences between the Alpha 40 & Apprentice are that one (the Apprentice) is an electric foamie & therefore lighter (more easily affected by the winds) & the Alpha is a wet fuel balsa / plywood aircraft which can be repaired once you learn how. There is however the Alpha ARF which can be "assembled" as either a wet fuel or electric aircraft. Do you have any preferences on how you want to power the planes down the road. Electric is QUIET, and seems to be the future for planes under 72 inches in wing span but larger & heavier gets more expensive (or less practical) to power electrically.

Edited to add

Your sim is the best tool you have to get you ready to fly. It will teach your brain to react quickly when you hit the opposite command to what you intended, & how to realize it's coming at you & that everything is now opposite to when it's flying away from you. It will save you a lot of money just like it has for me.

Last edited by cicopo; 10-22-2014 at 10:07 PM.
cicopo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:31 PM   #8
Randall C
RCC Noob

I am: Randall C
Radio of choice:
spektrum dx6i
# of RCs: 3

Hey Larry, Thanks for your comments I really appreciate them. I am really leaning to the Alpha 40 (ARF) as I already have my radio (Spektrum dx6i) I hope we will get a chance to meet sometime. ........????????

Larry is it possible that we have already met? I was with a lady photographer out at Stetson. We were discussing Shutter Speed, and some other stuff. You mentioned that you take a lot of Photos for different events in different locations. Maybe about 3 months ago

Last edited by Randall C; 10-28-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Randall C is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:27 PM   #9
cicopo
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Larry
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 42

If you attend any of the local Fun Fly events next year & see an old guy on the flight line photographing the action there's a good chance that's me & I'm always happy to talk to everyone.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:50 PM   #10
balbir
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: balbir s
Radio of choice:
Futaba 10J
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 2

Hi Richie.
I started flying with the Apprentice 15 S this summer. It is an absolute delight to fly. It is very sturdy, i have crashed it a couple of times (my fault too much wind for a rookie is not good), but it is very sturdy, and a well balanced plane. Its easy to fix. Depending on the type of radio you have, you can program up to 3 different sensitivity levels for the ailron, rudder and elevator. I would highly recommend this plane as a trainer. Good luck and have fun. Balbir
balbir is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in