Scale Aerobatics Scale Aerobatics/IMAC in Canada

Closed Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 06:41 AM   #11
LEE
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Lee P

Total Props: 9
Extra Extra!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaleguy
Ahh Lee the 300L means LOW Wing not 2 seaqter. The original 300 is a two seater. the 330 is differnt from the 300 in that the elevator has servo tabs on it. The 260 and the 300 have a straight accross elevator. This is where Aeroworks takes some poetic license with their version of the 260 in that they include the servo tabs which are NOT part of the stock 260 design.
Sorry Jim but the L designation is for length and refers to the two seaters. The 300 series are all low wing. From the Extra web site
"The EA-300SP is Extra’s single-seat version of the EA-300LP" The 330 designation is not an Extra aircraft designation but was added by the first pilot to put in the 330hp Lycoming. You're right about the elevator tabs, and this plane is constantly changing.
Isn't this fun

Lee
Team Canada IMAC Worlds 2014
LEE is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:25 AM   #12
Rick Kroeze
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Rick K

Total Props: 0
My plane agrees with Lee. 330L is the 2 seat version. Wish it had the extra horsepower he is refering to.
MAAC#70373 IMAC #4460
NC Region Judging Instructor
They say trees are 90% air. Personally I think they are 100% tree.
Rick Kroeze is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:37 PM   #13
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kroeze
My plane agrees with Lee. 330L is the 2 seat version. Wish it had the extra horsepower he is refering to.
But your also has lower wing position then the original 300 shoulder wing.
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:27 PM   #14
Raysun
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Ray S.

Total Props: 4
OK guys, I just got reamed for not replying to your inputs ( even though I did reply) so here goes....

OK u crowd I guess Ihave to 1. leave my wing alone, 2. add a second seat.

Well sorry I asked!!

Thanks again,

Ray.

Oh BTW Jim, if I put a big round cowl on it woiuld it be a Yak 300L?
Raysun is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #15
Rick Kroeze
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Rick K

Quote:
Oh BTW Jim, if I put a big round cowl on it woiuld it be a Yak 300L?
Or is it ExtraYak? Jim has/had lots of extra yak's
MAAC#70373 IMAC #4460
NC Region Judging Instructor
They say trees are 90% air. Personally I think they are 100% tree.
Rick Kroeze is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:42 PM   #16
Sonic Boomer

Yakkity yak are you trying to hiyak Raysun's Extra thread ! Now do what you mom said and don't talk yak

Boomer
Sonic Boomer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:28 PM   #17
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59
OK Lee I visited the current Extra 300 web site and they do not even mention the ORIGINAL Extra 300 but found this photo on the web.

So we are ALL correct :P :P :P :P :P

See it's a plain old Extra 300 and it is 2 seater and shoulder wing the 300L is 2 seater but low wing as well and the 300S and 300SP are single seat low wing.

Rick I wish I had Extra Yaks just laying around but I currently only have one.
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:13 AM   #18
hillmanr2
RCC Supreme Contributor

Re: Wing location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysun
Just thought I would pick some expert brains here...

I have an older Extra300s model in progress that will see flight this spring..its wing is located quite low on the fuse and looking at new IMAC Extras, all seem to have the wing right up top in line with the prop shaft and stab.

Is it worth the effort to relocate the wing higher seeking axial and more coupling free aerobatics? Mod not hard to do on this one. BTW did the prototype design really change or is this an IMAC thing?

Its more of a fun/practice/backup plane as I will be flying a Fontana 100 in Basic this year..just starting out really.

Ray
The L is a two seater airplane. The wing was placed lower to accommodate comfort on longer flights between events and so the wife could come, no joke.
Either way, it only makes a difference to full scale. Perhaps an argument could be made about rudder coupling and mixes but it is entirely dependant on your preferred cg. Where you put the CG on your plane determines everything from thrust line, to differential, to mixes. The Sukhio's have low wings as do some yaks and all Caps. Edges have a mid wing as do some Extras. It is all setup!!!!!
Leave the wing, learn trimming!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf pgoldsmith_20on_20trimming_770.pdf (56.2 KB, 27 views)
http://www.duralitebatteries.com/
PTA Hobbies
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:38 AM   #19
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Randy Brown

Re: Wing location

"The new Extra 300L (low wing) has received FAA and Transport Canada certification in the normal and aerobatic categories. Similar to the 300, the "L" model has the wing lowered for improved visibility and ease in the installation of full IFR instrument panels. The main fuselage structure, wings, tail etc. are similar to the current 300 which is still in production. The seats in the 300L have been redesigned to increase comfort and may be covered in leather as well.
A number of small improvements are also incorporated in the design including all composite side and belly panels. Flight characteristics are similar to the current 300 in all respects. The 300L displays improved snap roll characteristics, both inside and outside, and the rate of roll is slightly faster than the current 300.
"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillmanr2
The L is a two seater airplane. The wing was placed lower to accommodate comfort on longer flights between events and so the wife could come, no joke.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:49 AM   #20
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Randy Brown

Extra 300
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

An Extra 300L in Perth, Western Australia
An Extra 300S racing
The wing of the Extra 300L is set lower on the fuselage.
An Extra 300 of the Royal Jordanian Falcons display team taxis for take offThe Extra Flugzeugbau Extra 300 is an unlimited-level aerobatic two-seat monoplane aircraft. It was designed by Walter Extra, a retired aerobatic pilot, in 1987. The Extra 300 was developed from the early 80's Extra 230 but the wing is no longer made of wood. The aircraft is based on a welded steel tube fuselage covered in fiberglass and fabric. The mid-set wing has a carbon fiber composite spar and fiberglass skins. A symmetrical airfoil, mounted with a zero angle of incidence, provides equal performance in both upright and inverted flight. The landing gear is fixed taildragger style with composite main legs and fiberglass wheel pants. The powerplant is a fuel-injected Lycoming AEIO-540 which produces 300 horsepower (224 kW).

The Extra 300 is stressed for +/- 10 G with one person on board and +/- 8G with two. Some Extra 300s are registered as Experimental Exhibition aircraft in the U.S., while others are certified in the Aerobatic category[1].

The Extra 300 has given rise to several models: the 300S, 300SH, 300SHP, 330, 300XS, 300L, 300LP, 300SP, and 300SHP.

The Extra 260 was based on the Extra 230 with a a 260hp AEIO-540 engine, a 300-like wing, and the predecessor to the 300. Only a few were made.
The 300S is the (S)ingle-seater version, with a wingspan reduced by 1 ft 7˝ in., and fitted with larger ailerons.
The Extra 330SX was a custom development of the 300S with a wider-chord rudder, a larger elevator, and a more powerful Lycoming AEIO-580 powerplant producing 330 hp (246 kW). Some 300S were sold with the "bigger tail" of the 330SX
More Extra 300L ("L" for low wing) aircraft have been produced than any other model. Its wing is mounted at the bottom of the fuselage, with its span reduced from 26 ft 3 in (8.00 m) to 24 ft 3 in (7.39 m). Improved ailerons boost the 300L's roll rate to 400 degrees per second. All 300Ls are fully certified under FAA and European Joint Aviation Authorities regulations.
The 300LP ("P" for performance) is a reduced weight version of the 300L, re-designed for better performance in competitions and airshows.
The 300SP is a performance version of the 300S single-seater. Weight was reduced, and the tail of the 330SX installed [2].
The 300SHP (HP=High performance) is a yet-uncertified version of the 300SP with an AEIO-580 engine.
The Extra 300SR is a modified aircraft using a specially designed high-lift wing for the Red Bull Air Race World Series. It made promising debuts in July 2007.
The Extra 300SC will be a modified 300SHP which will use a new wing with better roll rate and easier roll stops, designed specifically for competition.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in