Our Hobby Has Great People - Thanks KWFD! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 09:24 PM   #1
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 9
Our Hobby Has Great People - Thanks KWFD!

Hi,

The KWFD (Kitchener Waterloo Flying Dutchmen) have just recently participated with two great events. I wanted to take the time to list, and thank all the members who helped put on the events, but everytime I started the list, I remembered someone else who I forgot, so, I'm just going to send out a blanket thanks to all the members who attended and helped out with the events.

The first event was the annual picnic and funfly organized by Garry Mayhew and Tony Lockyer. The KWFD membership were asked to invite their family and friends. It was a funfly and "Pot Luck". We wanted as many people as possible to see our hobby first hand and enjoy the hobby as we do. We had many people who attended, but most important were the "little ones", who will be our future modellers.

There were games and prizes for the young and old alike, a "fly by" and "candy drop" with the Candy Machine, and a precision flying demonstration by Ivan Kristensen. The picnic is held annually and is always on the second weekend in August, on the Sunday, and it was a beautiful day for flying and for the picnic.

The first part of the day was geared towards flying and the latter part was geared towards socializing, playing games, spending time with the kids, and then finally enjoying the "pot luck" dinner. Everyone had a great time.

The best part for me, was watching the prizes being handed out. One little girl (about 4) had wrapped her arms around her colouring book and crayons very tightly and had a smile that just wouldn't quit - she was so pleased with herself and her prize! One comment was made that these people were our future, and one day, when our next generation of flyers will need a field, this little girl just might be on City Counsel and will remember this day!

I also spent some time at the meal talking to the kids, and asked them what the best part of the precision flying was - one little boy said it was the Candy Machine's candy drop (sorry Ivan), and wanted to know when it would be flying again.

This last weekend we put on another event and hosted the KW Accessibility Group to introduce them to our hobby. The event was organized, and put on, by the members of the KWFD, and this time was led by Chuck Snively. Chuck said this event was a very rewarding experience for all who participated. He showed the basics of flying on laptops with flight simulators, explained the hobby and had flying demonstrations. Randy Brown made a special trip up from London and we were very pleased that he was able to help out. Thanks so much for your valuable time randy, we really appreciated your help!

When modellers work together to make things like the above happen, I can't express how lucky I feel, and how proud I am, to be a part of this great hobby.

The people of the KWFD, and other modellers I've met, are just plan GREAT people, they are always willing to share, and are always willing help others whenever needed. How can you not help but to be proud of the people you fly with!

By the way, for the little boy who wanted to know when the Candy Machine will be flying again - it will be flying the Saturday and Sunday of the KWFD Scale Rally (second weekend in Sept.) Hope to see you there!

Thanks again to everyone who helped out at the events.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller, MAAC 6166-L
Pres. KWFD
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in