ronnieo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19
Cool Online..."reference only"

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi guys...I recently ordered some stuff and a good deal on an ARF from a western dealer. The order was placed online and I made a "copy for my records" as stated after the order was placed. It arrived and an additional $60 was added to the credit card for "shipping". As I have ordered from them before and have received free shipping as stated in the MAAC mag, and the invoice showed no charge for shipping for my records, the order arrived and it had the shipping charge to my credit card. When I inquired as the the charge, I was told that shipping is not free for planes, only parts etc. Although the email invoice showed free shipping, I was told that the website is "for reference only" and the final total will be in the order invoice.... and I received an apology for the "misunderstanding" that my copy of the invoice showed.
In all the 5-6 years I have ordered online, I have never seen this. The order that is received by email always matches the order received (except for certain scammers). When I called an East Coast dealer, I was told the same thing...planes are NOT free shipping.
Not to bash the dealers, but everyone should be warned...the invoice you receive MAY not be the total that you receive on your package when you get it.... and .......

PLANES are NOT free SHIPPING!!...despite what your copy of the invoice says..

Last edited by ronnieo; 08-25-2010 at 10:34 AM.
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
dean2287
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dean M

Total Props: 8
Re: Online..."reference only"

Thanks for letting everyone know. I've ordered a lot from the same "on-line retailer" (un-named ) and have considered buying planes from them. The MAAC ad I think says there are some exceptions from the free shipping deal but doesn't say what they are. Good to know!!
fly2bfree
dean2287 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #3

Total Props: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnieo View Post
Hi guys...I recently ordered some stuff and a good deal on an ARF from a western dealer. The order was placed online and I made a "copy for my records" as stated after the order was placed. It arrived and an additional $60 was added to the credit card for "shipping". As I have ordered from them before and have received free shipping as stated in the MAAC mag, and the invoice showed no charge for shipping for my records, the order arrived and it had the shipping charge to my credit card. When I inquired as the the charge, I was told that shipping is not free for planes, only parts etc. Although the email invoice showed free shipping, I was told that the website is "for reference only" and the final total will be in the order invoice.... and I received an apology for the "misunderstanding" that my copy of the invoice showed.
In all the 5-6 years I have ordered online, I have never seen this. The order that is received by email always matches the order received (except for certain scammers). When I called an East Coast dealer, I was told the same thing...planes are NOT free shipping.
Not to bash the dealers, but everyone should be warned...the invoice you receive MAY not be the total that you receive on your package when you get it.... and .......

PLANES are NOT free SHIPPING!!...despite what your copy of the invoice says..
Ron I know where you order from out west and I assume its Hobby Wholesale. The owner Linden used to be 100% involved but he seems to have others do most of this now. I have had issues along the same nature where the advertisement in the MAC mag states FREE SHIPPING and those kits are plainly in that add with no clear disclaimer to the contrary. On my recommendation a new member ordered a complete trainer package as advertized in the add. He even added his name to our club list with his new MAAC number. He was charged extra for shipping which was not mentioned in the conversation when ordering. I mentioned he should ask for Linden when ordering however he ended up with someone named Gary who claimed to be a manager.

I have made a habit of asking the total price out the door for anything mail ordered. That way I have no surprises when it comes.

At the bottom of the add it reads “Customer must request MAAC deal at time of purchase. Wood and fuel are excluded from free shipping offer. Some size and weight restrictions apply. Insurance extra."

Very specific about wood and fuel being excluded but the disclaimer could be much clearer than it is about larger items being excluded as well not just ambiguous size and weight restrictions. They could be up front about your item not elegible for free shipping at the time of ordering and give you a chance to change your mind.

I don’t mind paying shipping cost if they are up front about it but it seems to me to be kind of sneaky to tack it on like that without warning you in advance.

I now recomend a trip to Prop Shop Hobbies in Warren Michigan instead. Its a 20 to 30 minite trip and the pice you see is the price you pay and you only pay the taxes at the border. It still works out for the most part cheaper than the mail order plus shipping.

Dennis

Last edited by Guest; 08-25-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:17 AM   #4
ronnieo
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Angry Re: Online..."reference only"

I could have gone to Prop Shop and saved $56, but the invoice said free shipping...I'd paste the invoice up here that I received, but it would do no good.

The invoice even has all the MAAC number, club etc as well too for the free shipping discounts and club paybacks.

Lesson well learned. Yes, I did find it sneaky...and the guy read me back my invoice and noticed that it does say "0" for shipping... and apologized for the "misunderstanding."

What you see is not what you get I guess.Not my way of doing online shopping.When it is a secure site with credit card info and print a "copy for your records" I consider it a somewhat legal document and to alter it after without anyone's knowledge upon delivery constitutes fraud in my books...but I will stop short there....

To make matters worse... Canada Post left the whole $500 package outside on the sidewalk in the drizzle...and not a soul around.. the dealer said that's no problem..it's insured!!!??

Last edited by ronnieo; 08-26-2010 at 06:32 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:22 AM   #5
1THEPALMER
RCC Contributor

I am: fred f

Total Props: 2

You can enter a dispute with your CC company as the invoice they emailed you is different from the final charge on your card. Might get the shipping charge back.
1THEPALMER is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
russ
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: russ h
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0

Start with these guys/gals...

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/Consumer_Info.cfm
russ is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:41 AM   #7

Total Props: 57

This is why I rarely buy anything online, I make a phone call, place my order, get the total, I can be told up front if something is unavailable or on backorder instead of finding that out when the order finally arrives etc.
There is one store that I'll use the online order form with and that's Dreamworks from Florida.
The one and only time I tried HobbyKing I got screwed. Otherwise, it's a phone call and go.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #8
ronnieo
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Red face Re: Online..."reference only"

Thanks guys for the advice for the future....When I made a secure order with them...I was not aware that it was just a "QUOTE".....

....and a good warning to all I hope!!
Old 08-26-2010, 11:19 AM   #9
channel38
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Doug W

Total Props: 1

When I ordered a plane from out west I was told on the 'phone that there would be an additional $40 for shipping.
I should have waited and gone to my LHS but this was a Sunday and it was closed. Anyway he is 120 km. away so I sure would not have saved much.

dj
channel38( on FM anyway ) lol

"Keep your stick on the ice, I'm pullin' fer ya", R.Green
channel38 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:08 AM   #10
ronnieo
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Wink Re: Online..."reference only"

Well I went snooping at Tower Hobbies in the states and seen that the plane was on the list for a $25 rebate from June 1ST to Aug 31... found it out myself....so I got some of the shipping cost back......hhhhhooooooooooray.

FYI..Dennis got a call from the dealer that I still unnamed cuz they read this thread and he was told that planes are not shipped free and I must be "confused"...but my invoice still shows "0" no matter how you flip the page.

Last edited by ronnieo; 08-30-2010 at 09:07 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in