ATTENTION HK-450 scale fuse owners - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Helicopters Discuss scale helicopters, tips, tricks and scale construction threads

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232
ATTENTION HK-450 scale fuse owners

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
HK-450 scale fuselage alert!

If you have an HK450 scale fuselage, heed this warning!

Today I was flying around at lunchtime and noticed I was having trouble with trim. It kept moving fore/aft and left/right.

I landed several times to inspect and then continued test flying albeit gingerly and close by just in case. After landing again, I noticed the main rotor kept “settling” into the heli as I spooled down.

Removing the canopy, I inspected the inside and was shocked to discover that the glue joint on the entire left upper side of the mounting bracket has broken loose.

The lower right side was also on the verge of breaking loose and the upper right side was cracked and also doomed to fail.

Unlike my align EC-135 fuselage that required me to glue my mounting bracket together, using MY building skills and MY glue, the HK scale fuse comes with the mounting bracket already pre-assembled. A close inspection of the adhesive used makes me realize it is not the best quality glue. Cheap glue and an anonymous assembler can mean the joints could be a failure waiting to happen, as it did with mine. Also, my heli did not display any unusual vibration, it was quite smooth; just what you would normally see in a 450 heli.

SUGGESTIONS FOR CORRECTION:
EPOXY 1/4" Sq Triangle stock into each joint of the frame. This should provide more than enough strength to the existing glue joint.

I will have to dis-assemble the heli, remove the frame and then fix it all up.. Better now than to have a catastrophic failure while flying
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232
Re: ATTENTION HK-450 scale fuse owners

Oh- I forgot to mention that I have only had less than 10 - 10 minute flights on this heli with this scale body before these cracks/breaks appeared.
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in