1st. RC plane.What do I buy ? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 02-12-2012, 01:18 AM   #21
Edmond Y
RCC Apprentice

I am: |Yuk Choi Y

Total Props: 0
Re: 1st. RC plane.What do I buy ?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Thanks Maxx.

Edmond
Edmond Y is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:38 AM   #22
spog

I am: Sean C

Total Props: 7

This is year 2012. A high wing trainer is what i would recommend 20 years ago. If you have the self discipline to put 100 hours air time on a sim, you can skip the trainer and get any plane you want.
spog is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #23
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboojohn View Post
I`am thinking on getting a RC plane. but I don``t know zip. on this. any help. from the PRO`S.
Welcome to RC Canada John! As you have noticed by now, ask 10 people and you will have 12 different answers! Same thing at the flying field or the Hobby Shop! But they all have good intentions even though it's pretty confusing. If you will forgive me I will add both of my opinions!

#1: Find someone who is flying what you want to fly where you want to fly to mentor you. Treat him like gold & listen to him excusively!

#2: Flight simulators are an excellent learning tool & take up very little space. But even they need someone experianced to trim & adjust the planes to get the best learning value!

Old 02-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #24
Argus
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Wade Z

Total Props: 4

Welcome to RCC John.

Best suggestion would be for you to get in contact with one of the r/c clubs in your area.
The easiest way to find local clubs are: 1) contact your local hobby shop that sells r/c aircraft. They should be able to point you in the right direction; 2) Google MAAC (Model Aeronautics Association of Canada). Check for clubs in your zone (BC is zone C) pick ones in your area.

Make contacts and discuss what you want to try. Club members can help you with choice of aircraft, radio, even learn how to fly.

Wade
MAAC #57828
Living dangerously in the Low Fly Zone (seakings overhead !!!!)
Aircraft Maintenence Engineer-Structures apprentice
Argus is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #25
msdumo
RCC Apprentice

I am: MikeD
Radio of choice:
DX6i
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 1

There are pros and cons to joining a club.

Some of the cons:
Travel time to the club field
Cost (club fee, MAAC fee, travel cost)
Rules and some restrictions flying
Time to learn to fly ( lucky to get 1 hour a week )
Not really parkflyer/micro friendly depending on club

Some of the Pros
Depending on the club members can be a good social outing
Some solid experience you can learn from
Good facilities depending on the club
Some competitive events and exposure to some pretty nice planes

I myself decided to go with micros and have progressed from a 28-Trojan->Sukhoi 26XP->Polecat->Beast 3D. With my heli experience I skipped the Champ which is the most recommended micro trainer.
The micros are very tough, fly anywhere, go anywhere and with the new AS3X technology in the new Beast 3D and now the Carbon Cub can now handle wind like a much bigger planes.
I would have had to spend more than $200 for club fee and MAAC annually.
I have a 1 hour drive one way to the nearest field. A Parkflyer/Micro is very low on the food chain in a club atmospere.
I would have had to buy a recommended trainer (another $400) to learn to fly and would have taken all summer to learn at 1 hour per week.

So I bought a DX6i and used Phoenix Simulator to develop some reflexes and instincts. I found a field next door and was RTF.
Oh, I crashed my UM T28, picked it up, had to repair sometimes and within a week I was flying. Now I fly 3-4 times a week; have modified my micros with 5043 prop and hyperions and enjoy them all. I now consider myself an intermediate flyer and with a little more experience with my Beast 3D and recent 2S brushless upgrade on my UM-T28 I'm having a great time.

So in summary either find a local field where you can fly, buy a simulator, a good radio, and a micro and go and learn on your own or go the club route, develop some relationships and take your time learning with an instructor.

Neither are wrong and go with what works for you!

Last edited by msdumo; 02-14-2012 at 06:09 PM.
msdumo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #26
MarkCrowe
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Mark C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7
# of RCs: 6

No club here to help, but the folks on RC Canada have helped me tons! Started a little over a year ago and still flying- just not as much as I'd like. Shift work, 2 kids and pets, and the joys of being a homeowner don't always mesh with living here in the mountains. As someone who is still a beginner, I'd second the HobbyZone SuperCub (Yes, it's big. But the wings are held on with elastics, making it easy to reduce it's footprint; combine that with some ceiling hooks and your storage problem is solved!); mine's taken a TON of abuse, and aside from some new engine cowls and a gearbox (one REALLY hard nose-in!) it's still flying. Tuck Tape and Foam-safe CA are your friend!

I've also got the Micro Trojan- it's taken a lot of abuse but is still flyable, but I don't fly it much. Too easily blasted by our mountain winds, and too fast to fly in the parks here for my skills. The Blade SR is a good heli to play with when the wind isn't terrible.

Get a good sim (I'm partial to Phoenix RC) and practice on that LOTS, get a good transmitter- the Spektrum DX7 (or the newer incarnation is likely lots better) is good and reliable; it also connects to the computer for the sim. I'd guess that the FlyZone Champ or other 3-ch planes like it would work as well as the SuperCub, provided you can fly in no wind conditions or indoors...

Welcome, and enjoy!
Seagull Models Decathlon .40 ARF
MarkCrowe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #27
fly4fun2
RCC Noob

I am: Fly 4 Fun
Radio of choice:
dx6i
# of RCs: 20+

Hawksky four channel was my first plane, pusher motor is on top so no breaking props on landing. Also the wings pull apart and that makes it easy for storage.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy892...y-rtf-24g.html
fly4fun2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in