cncarinspector
RCC Apprentice

I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0
Which Magazine

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Okay Guys,

Since I am returning to flying from some years ago, I need your help. I am the kind of person who likes to read magazines for the articles and adverts. What I would like to know is: I want to subscribe to a couple mags. Which ones offer the best bang for your buck? i.e. Model Airplane News, Sport RC etc. As always any info would be good, maybe even the best beginner websites would also be a good idea.

Thanks Guys,
Ron

Go Riders!
cncarinspector is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:04 AM   #2
mtnflyer
RCC Senior Contributor

Re: Which Magazine

Just an opinion. I like Flying Models the best, for the N.A. market. They often have center-folds and they always have a lot of really good information. British mags offer alot too, although they are expensive.

Fly R/C promised some builder stuff when they started, but, have since recanted and are mostly an ARF venue. Model Airplane News has followed the same direction. I subscribe to neither.

I'm a builder, and want to see content with reference to that quickly dwindling aspect of the hobby.

I've spent most of my money and time on model airplanes, mean women, and beer. All the rest was just a waste.

MAAC 51187
mtnflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:23 AM   #3
cassat
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics Aquila,Taranis,DX7
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 11

Hi Ron,

Sending you a private message

Dave
cassat is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:41 AM   #4
Arceenut
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Roy H
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 46

I read 'RC Report Magazine' on the net. They are not yet set up for Canadian subscriptions yet but e-mail " Julia H Coberly" <juliac@rcreport.net> and sign up in the interim.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:19 AM   #5
Cricklewood
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Chris K.

Total Props: 4

My favourite is RCM&E out of the UK. Much more indepth articles with honest comments on the goods and bads of what is being reviewed.
Cricklewood is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:40 AM   #6
Nuker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

I second the RCM&E, it's a well done mag.

Bob
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #7

Total Props: 57

I read FM, MAN and RCM&E (sometimes QEFI (Quiet and Electric Flight International).

The latter two often have free full-size plans of unusual aircraft (got a TSR-2 in the planning stages using a pusher, but may decide to go with the Mig-15 predecessor or the PushyCat.)

Have to agree that MAN does really cover the ARF market but they still ahve good electric/EDF coverage and the British magazines have different content (and the local magazine outlets charge for it.)

Also, hang out on RC Canada, RC Groups and RC Universe..... guaranteed laugh-fest when March and the inevitable cabin fever feeding frenzy kicks in.

Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:51 PM   #8
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnflyer View Post
Just an opinion. I like Flying Models the best, for the N.A. market. They often have center-folds and they always have a lot of really good information. British mags offer alot too, although they are expensive.

Fly R/C promised some builder stuff when they started, but, have since recanted and are mostly an ARF venue. Model Airplane News has followed the same direction. I subscribe to neither.

I'm a builder, and want to see content with reference to that quickly dwindling aspect of the hobby.
Fly RC would gladly put more plans in the mag - but there is this one issue.... No one wants to design and submit planes anymore. Its like when guys complain about content in the MAAC magazine, when no one wants to submit stuf to print.

I like Sport RC Flyer, I like Mike Hoffmeister's writing and he does great reviews. Flying models covers a lot of ground, if you like that. If you are more into sport RC it may seem a little dry, as they still have coverage on a lot of other disciplines.

The best idea I can give you is to buy a few copies of each at the magazine rack, and read them. Then subscribe to the ones YOU thought were best. Everyone has a different idea of what they think makes a good RC magazine.... yours may not be the same as mine, or the next guy.

AJC
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in