Looking for someone to re-cover a plane - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:03 PM   #11
chrispol
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Chris
Radio of choice:
18Mz
# of RCs: 8+

Total Props: 6
Re: Looking for someone to re-cover a plane

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I will just patch it up and strip it next winter, still have 2 arfs and a jet to finish for this summer. spent too much time flying this winter
chrispol is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:11 PM   #12
P51Paul
RCC Apprentice

I am: Paul W
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 1

Those is some nice skinnin fellas. Yas may have seen these elsewhere on here... Both TF 60's....Dego Red completely stripped and refinished... BIG BIG Job but looks great...very pleased. Hanger Queen for now...scared to fly it. Red Bull... well that started out with a little paint because I thought it would be quicker... sorta was but lots to learn there too...then ... I got more serious about fixing it up and tried to paint it whole thing less bottom of wings and then some stickers and then broke it ... fixed it .. tried some airbrushing and now waiting to take to the air again.. Loads i have tried to test different things ...the more I damage it the more I try on it. Soon it will be a flying brick or one ugly piece of art!

There is lots of stuff to read on the web ... I watched a bunch of videos and then read tins... then just gave it a go. So if not sure just start reading and then give it a go. Start small and then move on to bigger panels!
Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160101_144855.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	905226   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160328_140937.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	905234  
P51Paul is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:55 PM   #13
David_Durand
RCC Apprentice

I am: David
Radio of choice:
Spektrum NX10
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 0

I was given a plans built Aeromaster (sans engine and electronics) that, in its day was a beautifully built and covered biplane (both wings swept in this version). I am guessing that it has seen many owners and probably logged countless flight hours. I plan on totally recovering it and restoring it to its former glory but will need to deal with some oil soaked wood on the firewall, belly and and bottom surface of the lower wing.

Any suggestions for drying up the oil soaked (balsa and ply) wood or should I just cut it out and replace it?

Last edited by David_Durand; 09-27-2016 at 09:40 PM.
David_Durand is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:21 AM   #14
bbbair
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
Hitec
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Durand View Post
I was given a plans built Aeromaster (sans engine and electronics) that, in its day was a beautifully built an covered biplane (both wings swept in this version). I am guessing that it has seen many owners and probably logged countless flight hours. I plan on totally recovering it and restoring it to its former glory but will need to deal with some oil soaked wood on the firewall, belly and and bottom surface of the lower wing.

Any suggestions for drying up the oil soaked (balsa and ply) wood or should I just cut it out and replace it?
David;
the accepted method of getting rid of oil in balsa wood is to pack the affected parts in kitty litter and wait a week or so - SOME of the oil is soaked up and off you go (there are lots of threads on this topic)

BUT!
Ultimately once the oil is soaked into the wood it isn't coming out... so if you REALLY like the plane I would suggest that you cut out the oil soaked pieces and replace them with new ones.

A lot of work - but it is worth it!

Happy Landings
Old 09-26-2016, 10:39 AM   #15
David_Durand
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spektrum NX10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbair View Post
David;
the accepted method of getting rid of oil in balsa wood is to pack the affected parts in kitty litter and wait a week or so - SOME of the oil is soaked up and off you go (there are lots of threads on this topic)

BUT!
Ultimately once the oil is soaked into the wood it isn't coming out... so if you REALLY like the plane I would suggest that you cut out the oil soaked pieces and replace them with new ones.

A lot of work - but it is worth it!

Happy Landings
Thanks Rob,
That's kinda what I expected to hear but was hoping someone out there in cyberland would have a "miracle" (read as "lazyman's") solution.
Surgery will be performed.....
Dave
Old 09-26-2016, 04:12 PM   #16
michaely
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis, Horus 10x and Aloft Hobbies single stick w/FrSky X10s parts
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 83

Here a link to a thread on topic from a control line stunt flyer forum:

http://stunthanger.com/smf/open-foru...370fabc3e2a7a4

heating the oil soaked balsa with a hair dryer and mopping up the oil that liquefies and drips out with paper towels recommended as first step.... then a slurry of powder (talc, etc.) and acetone and/or kitty litter; good details

good luck
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:50 PM   #17
David_Durand
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spektrum NX10

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaely View Post
Here a link to a thread on topic from a control line stunt flyer forum:

http://stunthanger.com/smf/open-foru...370fabc3e2a7a4

heating the oil soaked balsa with a hair dryer and mopping up the oil that liquefies and drips out with paper towels recommended as first step.... then a slurry of powder (talc, etc.) and acetone and/or kitty litter; good details

good luck
Thanks Michael,

The bottom of the wing has not absorbed too much oil so I will give the heat gun/acetone/talc approach first. Took another look at it last night and I think the firewall and fuse bottom ahead of the wing may require surgery to repair.

Michael & Rob: Really appreciate the input.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in