Glow Conversion on B29 Bomber (Pics of construction added) - Page 5 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 06:26 PM   #41
Concordefan
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Robert
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Steve,

I am gettign back on continue to building this Bomber, now what is the best glue i can use to attach balsa wood skin to wings and fuselage sections?, i want something that would cure almost in 30 secs like medium CA...

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:15 PM   #42
KC8QVO

Hey Sammy, I am really not sure about that one. Lets see if anyone else has some ideas. I usually use epoxy on foam to wood connections. You can try foam safe CA but I find that it is worthless. I tried the medium stuff, maybe if you go with the thin it will cure better, I dont know.

Im glad youre back to building! Good luck

Steve
KC8QVO is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:24 PM   #43
Noin
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ted L

Sammy,

Go to LHS and check out Southern Sorgum. It is a contact cement and does not cure as fast as you would like but I have used it to bond balsa sheet to a foam core 15 years ago on a plane I still have and still fly every year and I have never had a problem with the wing sheeting bond. A great product.

Old 04-04-2006, 09:18 PM   #44
Concordefan
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Ok I will check out at LHS if i can get this product, is there any other spray type formula that can be used for this job, how about 3M Black aerosol can stuff?
Old 04-05-2006, 11:32 AM   #45
flysrcs
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

I am: Dave .
Radio of choice:
DX 18

Total Props: 5
Sammy,
If you are going to use Southern sorgum Dave Brown product. Try Elmer brand Latex contact cement. Foam safe and you get a quart for the same price. It sells at all home improvement stores and is a blue thick liquid so you can see where you have put it. Put it on with a foam/bristle brush it doesn't matter. cleans up with water and no fumes.

Dave
flysrcs is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:37 PM   #46
Noin
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ted L

Thats sounds like a great product and sounds like a lot better deal. How have you found the weight to be in the finished wing? Does it weigh more than Sorgums? If not I will be giving it a try next time I am sheeting a wing. I love RCC for stuff just like this, I probably would have never tried this product.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:52 PM   #47
flysrcs
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

I am: Dave .
Radio of choice:
DX 18

Total Props: 5
Ted,
It is the same viscosity as sorgum but I find it makes the wood and foam adhere alittle better and does not delaminate overtime as I have found out sorgum has done to me in the past. vVERY easy to work with and the baby blue color is easier to see than the creamy white color of the sorgum product. Wieght wise I thisnk probably the same. Give it a try I'm sure you will like it. I like these boards too for the same reason. We all can learn each others secrerts in modling.
Dave
flysrcs is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:18 AM   #48
Canhos
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mike Gyger

I used the latex contact cement (Blue in colour, smells like rotten fish after a few years in the can) on my King Kobra. The KK sat in storage for 8 years since it was sheeted. No covering, just raw balsa over foam. When I went to cover it, I had fears of the Balsa lifting. It has not shown any signs of any problems, and I've been flying it for a couple months off and on now.

Mike
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:17 PM   #49
Concordefan
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Change of Plans...

I have reconsidered to build this B29 as its been designed for, so now its going to get powered by 4x speed 400 motors. I want to complete and fly this Bomber in KW Scale rally so that is why electric would be easier way to go. Sorgums sounds great product to me also, i will give it a try on this model.

Cheers,
Sammy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in