Slope soaring curious - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Sailplanes / Electro-gliders Discuss quiet flight in Canada.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
OntAeronut
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Carl F
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 8+

Total Props: 10
Slope soaring curious

Hi folks, I have a couple of questions for you all whom fly slope gliders. I have been interested in gliders for years, but have yet to try one.

First of all, what is a good beginner plane?

Do you need a huge hill to fly from? Our flying field is ontop of a hill, that slopes down towards a swamp/forest. Cant say how far down, but its good enough to make you wish you had a chairlift system when you have to go plane hunting.

Any help would be greatly appreated.

Thanks

Carl
Old 08-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
cassat
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics Aquila,Taranis,DX7
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 11
Re: Slope soaring curious

Yeah, just gettin into to it heavy here. Best to start with something simple like a Gentle Lady or Sig Riser for balsa planes or a Radian will do also. HobbyKing is comin out with some good ones too.

Post a photo of your hill. Its more a question of "does the wind flow straight into the hill? "
cassat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:47 AM   #3
wingnut
RCC Contributor

I am: wiliam m

Total Props: 1

The best slope sites have a steep drop directly or near directly into the wind with no obstructions,like a tree line in front that can cause turbulence.It does not have to be very tall,6-8ft. is all you need if it's directly into the wind.I once watched a guy in a parkinglot sloping back and forth in front of a steel Armco barrier which was only 3ft. high.Allways make your turns away from the slope into the wind.Have fun.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
planecrazyisme
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Frank C.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX14
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 0
Red face Re: Slope soaring curious

I don't think that you can go wrong with this glider from Hobby King.
$129 with all servos and motor and ESC.

Might get one myself

Frank
planecrazyisme is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:16 AM   #5
planecrazyisme
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX14

Here is another video

Frank
Old 08-03-2011, 07:17 AM   #6
planecrazyisme
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX14

How about with on board video?

Frank
Old 08-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #7
pipercub17
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John H
Radio of choice:
frsky or JR
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 16

ya you dont need power for slope soaring
Old 08-04-2011, 11:49 PM   #8
lornecherry
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Lorne C
Radio of choice:
JR/Spectrum
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 13

I have flown slope for 35 years, mostly on a small hill. A Radian will slope reasonably well if there is enough wind ...and the electric motor can be used for "Schlermaling" ...one often overlooked, but very fun satisfying aspect of slope flying ("schlermaling" is catching a thermal while slope soaring and then taking the plane out of the slope wave and riding the thermal).

Floaters such as a Gentle Lady also slope nicely in very light winds. If choosing a basic two channel floater that's a TD build (thermal duration), try to pick one with a lot of rudder authority ... some floaters don't like the sharper turns smaller hills demand.

I actually DO recommend a motor glider for learning to slope soar; wish I had one when I was "self taught" ...the motor can get you out of trouble quickly, and is especially useful if your landing area is not too large, or your slope is not ideal. Also, when landing with the wind into the slope (not recommended, but at times the best alternative on some hills), a touch of motor helps.

The Radian will teach you the basics of turning into the wind and keeping your speed up. It also is very forgiving in that it does not tip stall easily and has no bad habits. The motor will also help you get back if you get into to an area that's unsuitable for landing. (slope soaring is hard on planes).

I highly recommend the 2 channel Radian for learning all aspects of thermal or slope. Moreover, a Radian without the motor running IS a mild slope plane; the Pro version more so.

You will also need to learn to ballast at the CG in moderate winds so your plane penetrates.

Sloping is one aspect of gliding where I highly recommend you go with an experienced pilot, if not possible, then ONLY begin in a light wind. (5-12 MPH) Better to have to walk down the slope to retrieve a plane than have it get behind you and into the slope rotor currents.

After 1/2 hour on the sticks, you'll have a feel for how the plane uses the slope and where the lift is on your particular hill. Enjoy.
lornecherry is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #9
lornecherry
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Lorne C
Radio of choice:
JR/Spectrum
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 13

Quote:
...would I have learned the lesson as well? Or just gone on to make the same mistake over and over because I could "power" my way out?
...a "learned lesson" on the slope often means returning your plane back to kit form. When I first learned slope, I went through enough Gentle Ladies, Aquilas, Paragons, to start my own hobby shop.

I do understand what you are trying to say, and I respect the purist tradition, but to me, the best teacher short of having an instructor on a buddy box is: stick time. Anything that gives you more of that will make you a better flyer, and electric does allow for more stick time, which is why my praise of the Radian is so high.

Once you're past the initial "stick time learning curve"; then you can go the purist route or look at something more high performance (if you've got the slope for it).

Like learning to winch launch for the first few times, slope soaring is usually "0 mistakes high"; there's a difference between learning to slope and learning to thermal, even with a slow 'n easy RES plane.

And the best part of electric assist? ...is it's easier on the pocket book, as the motor does make for better landings on the slope.
lornecherry is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #10
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

Good points! I can accept that argument.

I learned to fly RC on my own with a Gentle Lady & a high start - no buddy box or instructor. So I also learned how to fix them, which is a valuable skill too!

I admit to being partial to my E glider for those spur of the moment flying sessions, no launching equipment set up/take down!

Now I will pose a question - having started with/been spoiled by an E glider would anyone actually progress to pure gliders? Or have the patience to learn other forms of launching?

Last edited by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK; 08-05-2011 at 11:00 PM.
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in