BigBreeze
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Marc B
Radio of choice:
JR9303
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0
Re: Lipo question

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrofler View Post
The first battery you listed on the hobbyking site (2s2p) is exactly what timsted and I are talking about. four cells in one case being treated as two cells for balance and capacity purposes. that and only that can be called 2s2p.

balancing all four cells will be impossible.

that is why both timsted and I are recommending 2s1p configurations.

2s2p is FOUR cells bundled together in ONE battery.
You're right. As I was thinking about the battery configuration, I started to figure that 2S2P cells would need 2 sets of balance taps to balance all cells.
BigBreeze is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:38 PM   #12
timsted
RCC Apprentice

I am: Tim S
Radio of choice:
futaba
# of RCs: 20+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBreeze View Post
You're right. As I was thinking about the battery configuration, I started to figure that 2S2P cells would need 2 sets of balance taps to balance all cells.
yup, if we could separate the internally paralleled cells with individual taps, there wouldn't be an issue. another detail to consider, if you parallel 2 3000mah 20c cells, it would be equal to a 6000mah 20c battery, not a 6000mah 40c battery as is sometimes advertised.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:14 PM   #13
rusty33
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: dave a

Hey Curt,

Do you have any sort of low voltage cutoff in the Summit?
rusty33 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:40 AM   #14
ptv83
RCC Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty33 View Post
Hey Curt,

assuming it's stock ESC then no he doesn't. last i checked the evx-2 needs a seperate low voltage protection added. since he's buying from hobby king, he should just get a voltage telemety system. then he'll have real time display right infront of him of what each individual cell is at.

"quanum 2.4ghz telemetry system (volt/amp/temp/mah) V2" $59.99 in stock.
click on telemetry & FPV, and select quanum
ptv83 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #15
chuebner
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Curt H
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty33 View Post
Hey Curt,

I have a Novak 2s cutoff I was going to install.... BUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptv83 View Post
assuming it's stock ESC then no he doesn't. last i checked the evx-2 needs a seperate low voltage protection added. since he's buying from hobby king, he should just get a voltage telemety system. then he'll have real time display right infront of him of what each individual cell is at.

"quanum 2.4ghz telemetry system (volt/amp/temp/mah) V2" $59.99 in stock.
click on telemetry & FPV, and select quanum
I may have to have a look at the telemetry system. Sounds very interesting!

Thanks guys

Cheers
Curt

I fly Hitec, why...... because I wanna!!

Forum Rules Link
https://www.rccanada.ca/site-rules.pdf
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #16
ptv83
RCC Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuebner View Post
I have a Novak 2s cutoff I was going to install.... BUT

I may have to have a look at the telemetry system. Sounds very interesting!

Thanks guys

Cheers
Curt
if it's only good for 2S, then that's only 7.4v . the evx-2 is good for 16.8v (nominal battery voltage) so was that 2x2 2S voltage cutoffs?
ptv83 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #17
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9

Hey Curt, my friend, how do you like the Summit? I am thinking of getting something like this just to bash about the back yard.

I have one of those Quanum Telemetry Systems and it works amazingly well. You see in real time the Pack voltage at all times, and you see the voltage of each individual cells of your Lipo pack.

I used mine with 6S Lipos, the highest cell count you can use with this system. Previous to using this, I basically just guessed as to the voltage based on previous flight times and stuck to that. Problem is, many times I could have still flown for another two or three minutes based on the charge remaining in the pack. And a couple of times I was dangerously close to the cutoff voltage where I would have been landing dead stick.

With this telematry system, no more guessing. A quick glance at the monitor and you see exactly how much charge is remaining, so you can keep flying and know exactly when its time to land. Also has a warning tone to tell you when you are approaching the safe cutoff voltage leaving you enough time to setup your approach and land before going into cutoff.

This increases your flying time, never allowing you to over discharge your pack always keeping your packs withing safe operation limits. This means much longer life for your expensive larger Lipo packs.

Think about it. I've seen 6S Lipo packs selling for approx $185.00 each. If this system helps extend the life of your pack by 30%, which is possible, then the telemetry system has paid for itself.

You can also purchase an add-on module that allows the display of Watts & Amps as well. Pretty sweet system if you ask me and for approx $60.00 its a heck of a bargan and it's a cool gadget to play with also!

Just one more thing, it is also 2.4Ghz where you bind the Tx to the Rx just like the Specktrum radio systems. Never a glitch, ever! And I have had my plane so far out it appeared as a speck and I never lost the signal which remained strong and intact.

Best $60 I've spent on RC equipment in a long time. Worth every penny!

My next radio, which I will have for the Spring, will be a new DX8 with built in telemetry so I probably won't be using my Quanum system again so it's probably going to be looking for a new home!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #18
mark_
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Mark
Radio of choice:
DX6i
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

Hi Gary...where did you buy your telemetry sytem? I've been interested in something like this for a little while, even considered upgrading to a DX8 just for that reason.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in