Radio Marshall - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Clubs, RC Tracks, Events & Bashing meets Radio Control Clubs in Canada Radio Control Offroad & Onroad Tracks. RC Car Races, Events & RC Bashing Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 09:19 AM   #1
crUshed420
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
Radio Marshall

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I think we should bring this into an open discussion before things just get worse - we had some major frequency issues yesterday unfortunately.

I think we need someone designated each race as the "radio marshall" that walks around the pit areas to ensure NO ONE has their radios on while races are taking place... ESPECIALLY mains.

I was marshalling the 2wd B main after having HORRIBLE glitching problems during my C main. Martin and the guys were doing a GREAT job continually reminding over the loudspeaker to keep radios off.

At the start of the 2wd B main, Mike Cessar had a great first lap, THEN SUDDENLY, he started glitching out horribly. Once again, Martin announced to keep all radios off in the pit area, but I CLEARLY saw 2 or 3 people blatantly disobeying this request.

Over at the mini putt course, 2 or 3 guys had their r/c's on the mini putt course playing around with them. I tried yelling at them, but it was no use as I was on the other side of the track marshalling. I tried yelling to Mike to get them to turn their radios off, but he was so upset over his glitching and the fact that he was completely out of the race now, I don't know if he ever bothered to go talk to them.

I dont' care if they had spektrum's, nomadios, or whatever - if the announcer is BEGGING people to turn off their radios because we'e having glitching problems, TURN THEM OFF. At least then we won't be chasing a red herring.

I found it completely rude and disrespectful that after all the problems we were having, people continued to play with their r/c's when important races were going down.

So what's needed? Radio Marshalls with billy clubs that will smack you silly if you don't leave your radio off while races are occurring?????
crUshed420 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:26 AM   #2
imported_Gus S
RCC Junior Contributor

I actually suggested a radio impound table.

If you're not in the current race, your radio is in a designated table right beside the computer, once your race is upcoming, you get your radio.
Micro T
XXX-T MF2
XRAY T2
A radio
imported_Gus S is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:29 AM   #3
imported_Sparkie
RCC Senior Contributor

Sounds good to me!!!!

In the truck race, racers were having the same problem!!!!

Previously at other events I've been to (nitro events)the rule applies that there is no radio's on during racing!!!

THIS INCLUDES SPECTUM GUYS!!!! This just eleminates ALL possibilities of glitching for others.
imported_Sparkie is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-02-2006, 09:29 AM   #4
zoomroom
RCC Contributor

Impound area

When it gets to that point that folks are not listening and are disrespectful enough to turn radios on in the pits it leaves you guys with no choice but to impound...........it'll take one more person on the organization side to run the impound but in the long run I think it will be worth it................

Impound away..........heres my radio..............

Team Associated RC8/Jammin .21
Tamiya 801xt
Tamiya Tamtech Porsche
Tamiya Tamtech Frog
Tamiya F350 Hilift
Tamiya CC01 SCALE CRAWLER
CRC Gen X
BYRONS FUEL
zoomroom is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:31 AM   #5
imported_Gus S
RCC Junior Contributor

Heck, I'll even volunteer to watch over the impound table, as I'm sure many other racers would
Micro T
XXX-T MF2
XRAY T2
A radio
imported_Gus S is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:33 AM   #6
gremek
RCC Senior Contributor

That's a great point BJ - something has to be done. Some things are beyond our control. Even with the constant harrassing announcements to turn radios off, it still doesn't stop someone from being impulsive and turn their car and radio on in the parking lot to test it out.

I know it's costly, but it's definitely worth the $170 for a SPEKTRUM (DX2) radio system - overall this will protect your other investments (car, etc.) - so you don't glitch yourself into a barrier, or have to suffer the wrath of some irresponsible person who is not thinking and just turns on their radio for a few seconds... Also, it sucks to be at a raceday for 7 hours, work your way into a good qualifying position, and suddenly have some loser glitch you out of a race in the first lap.

I don't believe that anyone is purposely trying to screw others up. But there are enough '**s' out there. Spend the cash once (on Spektrum) - protect yourself from these **s.

We have spent way too much time on racing, and cash on our equipment, to have it wrecked by others. I know someone is going to say "I shouldn't have to spend extra money on this"

The bottom line is, something like this WILL happen again, most likely at every race. We could start 'impounding' the radios, but this would definitely slow down the pace of the day. This may be the only true solution though.

mike
Durango DEX410
gremek is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:34 AM   #7
Bdegan2

A radio impound is not a bad idea.

This is what flying clubs do.
It is frustrating for us with our cars.

Fun flys have planes in the air that are sometimes $2000 dollars up in the air. Imagine how that poor guy would feel watching his plane go down from a radio hit.

I realize we do not fly planes here, but the result is the same.
Bdegan2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:46 AM   #8
Bdegan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrmek
The bottom line is, something like this WILL happen again, most likely at every race. We could start 'impounding' the radios, but this would definitely slow down the pace of the day. This may be the only true solution though.

mike
i don't think it will really slow things down.
Turn in your radio when you bring your transponder back after your race.
Pickup your radio when you pickup your transponder before your race starts.

Other races I have attended have planned breaks in the running of the races where the track is opened for everyone to test out any setup changes.
But the frequency board must be enforced at that time.

Now yesterday, there was no time for planned breaks in the action. Daylight was a premium this late in the season. But for next season, if things progress like they have been, we will have to do weekend events. Either qualifiers one day, Mains the next. Or breakup the classes over the 2 days.

regular club racing may not need this sort of enforcment, But the larger events where we are getting bigger turnouts deffinately need stricter guidlines.

There are lots of little things to work out for next season. So lets be positive and try to move forward.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:06 AM   #9
gremek
RCC Senior Contributor

Any suggestions for the 'radio hut' - we need some sort of structure with shelves. Also, this would have to be a covered area, in case it suddenly starts to rain.
Durango DEX410
gremek is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:14 AM   #10
Bdegan2

The best place would be under the drivers stand. possibly to the left of the timing table, viewed from the track.
That way it would be easy access for everyone when they are picking or dropping transponders.
The whole area under the drivers stand should be roped off during larger events in my opinion. No pitting under the drivers stand for larger events, again just my opinion.
This would allow race organizers and directors easy access in and out and far less congestion with people gathering around the computer station.
No one needs to be there except the race officials.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in