slash60
RCC Master Contributor

I am: ROGER V
Radio of choice:
FUTABA 10CAP
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 24
fuel inlet nipple tap size

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have a generic carb which has a misplace fuel inlet nipple. The carb is similiar to an ASP 61 carb. I need to relocate the fuel inlet nipple and tap the hole. Would anybody tell me exactly what size tap I need to use/buy to do this. I do not have a thread gauge.
Tower hobbies list it as 3.5mm thread, .6mm coarse pitch and 3mm length. Would that be right?. I would like to be sure before I buy the tap. Any info would help . Any lead where to buy in ontario, canada besides LHS?
slash60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:05 AM   #2
aceplant00
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Todd M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7
Re: fuel inlet nipple tap size

go visit someone that does custom machining. They might have the tap. Worth a try.
aceplant00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:14 AM   #3
bartman
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Brian C
Radio of choice:
12x,DX7,DX3r,
# of RCs: 40+

Total Props: 10

Amazon Amazon
bartman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:24 AM   #4
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101

Can you post a pic of the problem? I looked at what I can find online and cannot see where else that fitting could go.

If I can see what needs to be done and you have patience send me the carb and I can try and do the work here.

NOTE: There was some problems reported on the smaller engines where the inlet port on the HS housing would turn during installation and not align with that fitting. Easier to correct than moving the fitting itself.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:17 AM   #5
slash60
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
FUTABA 10CAP

Tod, that is my last resort. It's a simple fix (see pics), drill and tap the nipple to the right location and cap the other one with some screw. Brian, thanks for the link, if I cannot find it here anywhere in ontario, then I will buy it for this fix as well as being there when I need that tap size. I knew there was one specifically for the nipple, just did not know exactly what to look for and where.
Gary, lots of thanks for offering to do it. You can see from pic that the placement of the fuel nipple is on the carb body pointed upwards, not the usual pointing towards the the back, crankcase. ( no rotation like the supertigre engine carb h/s needle). Appreciate all you guys input/suggestion, now to look and buy that special tap. Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	asp carb shots 002.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	575.5 KB
ID:	710930  
Old 09-19-2015, 08:22 AM   #6
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 18

Check the pressure nipples on your mufflers, you might find one that fits. You can purchase standard 4-40 and 6-32 thread nipples from your local hobby shop.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:27 AM   #7
slash60
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
FUTABA 10CAP

Thanks cliff for the suggestion, I do have some muffler nipple around and taps of that size in my tap set. Will look into it.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:52 AM   #8
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101

Man, that's strange. Looks like someone was having a bad day.

Another option may be to look for another carb with the same base OD and bore diameter. I have swapped carbs from different motors, (usually OS as they are more reliable than a lot of the clones) and think I still have a Perry in spares.

You may also be able to do a safety mod I added to most of my older 2-strokes, fitting a remote HS needle to the back cover and blocking off the original setup. Gets your fingers away from the prop and works exactly as stock, (adjustments react as quickly, as well). Although OS and Fox offer their own versions, I preferred the one from Evolution as they often were a direct fit to the back cover bolt spacing on 40-55 size engines. The only work done was to remove their blue limiter ring.

http://www.amain.com/rc-airplanes/ev...046874a/p33279

OS sells a blocker fitting that replaces the original HS needle. I would have to go into spares to get the number. About $5 if I remember correctly. Most of these carbs shared the same HS fitting thread specs.

Here's one I did to an 80's OS 40FSR.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of IMG_1396.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	624.3 KB
ID:	710954  
Old 09-19-2015, 01:52 PM   #9
slash60
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
FUTABA 10CAP

@gary, yah, I think that guy was daydreaming when he bored/tapped the hole location. Anyways, this was graciously given by a fellow modeller to use if I cannot find some solution to my ST G61 carb problem (which I have not got into retuning yet, but will in another thread) perfect fit, inside and outside diameter hence I am trying to make good use of it.
Your remote needle mod makes sense. I have to know though the dimensions of the back plate bolts if it matches my STG61 backplate. I assume the remote needle will work on the G61. If I cannot solve this relocation problem, this is my next logical step. Thanks again for the input.
Old 09-19-2015, 02:39 PM   #10
floyd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 87

Why don't you try to run the motor with the carb the way it is? All 4 Strokes have the inlets facing up. While a 4 Stroke has better fuel draw you'll probably find facing up makes no difference at all on your motor. And if your mounting the engine on it's side then the inlet shouldn't be an issue at all. Cheers Floyd
floyd is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in