Easy To Use LONG RANGE UHF System for our radio - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Aerial Photography/Video Discuss and exchange ideas about aerial photography and video in Canada.

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 11:57 PM   #11
jmstech
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Re: Easy To Use LONG RANGE UHF System for our radio

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
One of beta testers in the US just did a 6 mile (9.65KM) FPV trip with Dragon Link and had no glitches what so ever. I got the call this morning that he already put 40 hours into Dragon Link so this is a positive move. I will post a video of his trip as soon as he finishes editing this journey. FWIW, he used Daniel's Dragon OSD with GPS and autopilot which will display proof of LOS (Line Of Sight) distance from HOME position. This was done with no signal booster of any sort and on a regular dipole antenna. The video gear was a Lawmate 1W 2.4Ghz with standard whip on the tx. Video display system is a 32" Sharp ( I believe) LCD monitor installed in his mini van. Pretty radical set up but he's well known in this field and a old timer professional.

I just need to get more feed back from the other beta testers in Canada, another in US and Europe.

John

Last edited by jmstech; 05-26-2009 at 12:01 AM.
jmstech is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:05 PM   #12
buffythesaint
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Buffy

Total Props: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmstech View Post
One of beta testers in the US just did a 6 mile (9.65KM) FPV trip with Dragon Link and had no glitches what so ever. I got the call this morning that he already put 40 hours into Dragon Link so this is a positive move. I will post a video of his trip as soon as he finishes editing this journey. FWIW, he used Daniel's Dragon OSD with GPS and autopilot which will display proof of LOS (Line Of Sight) distance from HOME position. This was done with no signal booster of any sort and on a regular dipole antenna. The video gear was a Lawmate 1W 2.4Ghz with standard whip on the tx. Video display system is a 32" Sharp ( I believe) LCD monitor installed in his mini van. Pretty radical set up but he's well known in this field and a old timer professional.

I just need to get more feed back from the other beta testers in Canada, another in US and Europe.

John

John, can you explain his test procedure a little more? Did he have the camera fixed, say with pan and tilt working. Did he drive away, on flat open road, with the Tx and video Rx in the van and could pan and tilt at 6 miles? Does that sound right? LMK.

Buffy.
buffythesaint is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:10 AM   #13
jmstech
RCC Junior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffythesaint View Post
John, can you explain his test procedure a little more? Did he have the camera fixed, say with pan and tilt working. Did he drive away, on flat open road, with the Tx and video Rx in the van and could pan and tilt at 6 miles? Does that sound right? LMK.

Buffy.
Well he parked his van, sat back in front of his plasma tv and watched as he flew his plane 6 miles (9.65km) away from inside his van. His camera is fixed with no pan/tilt but that is really no issues since if you can operate channels 1 to 7 to operate a plane, then channels 8 and 9 can operate pan and tilt... even at 6 or more miles away. Check out my buddy's test results, you will be mighty impressed. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post12333418

John

Old 05-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #14
tech1
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Eric T

Total Props: 2

Any testers in the Toronto area.

I would be interested in seeing this in action. If you need assistance with monitoring, chase car, video etc, I can lend a hand.
I am interested in seeing this as an alternative to 72Mhz in my AP ships.
tech1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:48 PM   #15
buffythesaint
RCC Pro Contributor

John. I checked out the photos of the test flying, very nice. What autopilot system did he use? LMK.

Buffy.

Last edited by buffythesaint; 06-03-2009 at 11:16 PM. Reason: sp
Old 05-28-2009, 04:19 PM   #16
jmstech
RCC Junior Contributor

Well the lead time from the manufacturer for the modules are about 2 to 3 weeks until they arrive to Daniel. PCB should be next week the cases from Italy should arrive to my door next week so it's all coming along and I'll be back here and let you know when I will start to take orders. The OSD with autopilot was Daniel's first project (2007) which I helped named Dragon OSD for www.intelligentflight.com

John
Old 05-28-2009, 04:24 PM   #17
jmstech
RCC Junior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech1 View Post
Any testers in the Toronto area.

I would be interested in seeing this in action. If you need assistance with monitoring, chase car, video etc, I can lend a hand.
I am interested in seeing this as an alternative to 72Mhz in my AP ships.
Well none in Toronto but I do have one in Muskoka
Old 05-29-2009, 04:33 PM   #18
jmstech
RCC Junior Contributor

Well my one beta tester is still working on his video and I think he is finding out how much of a big learning curve it is to use Sony Vegas, but it does a fine job of deinterlacing analogue videos. So here is a screen capture he did manage to get for me. Note: LOS on the lower right is the distance he was traveling away from start point.

10.18KM and he wasn't even pushing it. Not bad eh?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JP range.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	52580  

Last edited by jmstech; 05-29-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:00 PM   #19
buffythesaint
RCC Pro Contributor

John, thats awsome.... Any reason the altitude was blanked out? How high do you need to be to go 10km?

Buffy.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:08 AM   #20
jmstech
RCC Junior Contributor

I blanked that out because I don't think my buddy likes to show off how high he went. We don't need MIB to show up at his door. Now what my friends next plan is to fly 10 or more KM at 100 feet off the ground which was not possible for him with traditional equipment. BTW Buffy, PCBs arrived along with most of the other components. My cases arrived from Italy so we're still waiting for the modules to arrive which should be around mid June. BTW what radio do you plan on installing this? You need to know where the PPM, power, ground are located on the stock module inside your TX. What is needed to be done is to either unplug (if internal module) old module and plug into DL to make this work.

I'm using a Futaba 9CAP and the module can be pulled out from the back and 5 pins are exposed. Dragon Link simply plugs into that and I', ready to rock!

Here are some pictures: one is my Futaba which I forgot to mention PIN 1 is DL PPM yellow wire.

Second picture is a beta tester in Europe who tapped into his Gruapner/JR MX16 radio
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9C Pin1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	52667   Click image for larger version

Name:	433 aansluiting.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	52668  

Last edited by jmstech; 06-03-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in