What is a good second plane? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 07:31 PM   #11
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 9
Second Plane

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi,

I would like to suggest the Big Stick 40 by Great Planes. It is a stable reasonably priced aircraft (ARF) that will fly fairly slow, does not have bad stall characteristics, lands well, can be a tail dragger or tricycle gear, all your current equipment will fit it, it does all of the basic manuevers very well and will fly inverted. It is a fun aircraft as just about all the "sticks" are. The engine can easily be upgraded if you need more power.

The plane I would recommend after that would be the Somethin' Extra, however it can be a sensitive plane (it rolls very quickly) and you should tame down the control surfaces (especially ailerons) by making them 60% of the recommended "low rate" throws or use a heck of a lot of "expo". The "high rates" should be the manual's recommended "low rates".

No matter what you decide, I would agree you should get an experienced pilot to trim it out on the first flight.

Let us know what you decide to get.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:12 PM   #12
Shawnlh
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Shawn
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: -2
This might sound strange to some, but my second plane plane was a hangar 9 Twist with a GMS .47 and 12.25x3.75 apc prop. The low pitch prop keeps the speed down, but helps with low speed inputs due to the prop wash.
Awsome second plane!! Very easy to fly, responds well to corrective inputs, lands at a walking pace thanks to the huge wing area. Just keep your surface deflections low until your ready. The only time I smacked it was after about 6 or 7 flights and I started to get brave (or stupid if you will). Even then the damage was minimal.
I can easily recomend the Twist for a second plane. They're inexpensive and easy to build.
I think they look alright too.
Shawnlh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:21 PM   #13
atc666
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Adam Clarke
Radio of choice:
JR 9303 2.4
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0
I will second the twist as a second plane, it was my second plane as well, no bad tendances. Just keep the throws at or slightly the recommended low rates and you should be fine and then as you get more comfortable just increase the throws.Assembly of this plane can be completed in only a couple of evenings and is very simple. At only $125 theres no way you can go wrong with this plane.

MAAC# 75232
Aeroworks 75cc Extra 260
DA 85
JR 9303 2.4
atc666 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:08 PM   #14
JimMoss
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jim M

Total Props: 1
Sig Kavalier!!

Just happen to have a couple built up covered just add radio and motor!

This is a picture of my dads, and one of my sons. but we have 4 more we just built this past winter, son (11) got his wings, but has lots to learn so we built some spares. ..... If your interested drop a PM.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kavalier_650.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	23275   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_1315sm_180.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	23276  
My Old Gallery:
Straighten Up & Fly Right!
JimMoss is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:36 AM   #15
green@3D
RCC Contributor

I am: Brian R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnlh
This might sound strange to some, but my second plane plane was a hangar 9 Twist with a GMS .47 and 12.25x3.75 apc prop. The low pitch prop keeps the speed down, but helps with low speed inputs due to the prop wash.
Awsome second plane!! Very easy to fly, responds well to corrective inputs, lands at a walking pace thanks to the huge wing area. Just keep your surface deflections low until your ready. The only time I smacked it was after about 6 or 7 flights and I started to get brave (or stupid if you will). Even then the damage was minimal.
I can easily recomend the Twist for a second plane. They're inexpensive and easy to build.
I think they look alright too.
Twist all the way baby. set the cg a tad nose heavy and set the throws at the minimum and they are sweet little planes. Most of the 3d style planes are very well mannered if set up with the right cg, and low rates on the throws. I taught both my brothers how to fly on a funtana 90 with a saito 120 for power, they did well with it. any of the little 40 size 3d profiles, funtana 40, twist 40 etc. would be great little planes.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:19 PM   #16
wingburner
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jack D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba.18sz
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 21
BillO, although I have never flown a twist I have to give the thumbs up to a Goldberg Tiger.

I had one a few years ago and never had so much fun with a plane..If you want to make it even better, thread it through the trees so you have to remove the outer bay or two on each wing panel..Simply pheonominal
wingburner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:11 AM   #17
cafbrat
RCC Apprentice

I am: Mike Trevors
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 6

Great planes 40 stik arf for sure, flies like a rocket with os 46 but can fly slow as well. Built one last summer, had a blast, still have fun with it even though I am ready to move up. After I mastered the stik and some time on sim I went to fully aerobatic plane.
cafbrat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:38 PM   #18
sylo26
RCC Contributor

I am: Paul PB

Twist

I second for the twist or the Sig somethin's extra(mine is for sale, LOL ). You will have more fun and they could be smooth at low rate. I suggest also a .51 or more. OS are great. Have fun ! Paul P.S Look my vid at :https://www.rccanada.ca/bb/viewtopic.php?t=31652

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in