MAAC Insurance Reciprical Agreement; USA & Abroad? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada discussion area.

Old 11-30-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232
MAAC Insurance Reciprical Agreement; USA & Abroad?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Anybody know what/where I can find any reciprocal agreement information for MAAC?

Particularly with respect to coverage in the USA and/or the UK or EU?

I checked the MAAC website FAQ section but could not find any information of that sort.

Anybody know?

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:47 PM   #2
MRK
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Michael K

Total Props: 2
Re: MAAC Insurance Reciprical Agreement; USA & Abroad?

MAAC Website > Docs / Media > Forms and Documents > Expand "Documents" > MAAC - AMA Areement of Understanding - 2013 (and yes Agreement is misspelled)

http://www.maac.ca/docs/2013/maacama...nding_2013.pdf
MRK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:18 PM   #3
Max
Administrator

Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

That is great. That pretty much spells is out for US and Canada reciprocal agreement.

Thanks Michael.

This may be a reach, but do we have anything with the EU or particularly, in the UK through BMFA?

What happens when Canadian FAI teams travel abroad to fly in world contests/events? How are they covered?

Old 12-01-2014, 12:06 AM   #4
Morison
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Keith Morison

Total Props: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
That is great. That pretty much spells is out for US and Canada reciprocal agreement.
My understanding is that the MAAC policy provides global coverage. In other words, you are covered anywhere you fly. You'll note that is the basis of the areement of understanding with the AMA.

Now, if a foreign modelling association will recognize that insurance is another matter. (I'd think they would if they were also FAI affiliated)

Check this with the office, or your ZD, for current information.

When I hosted a world championships we could offer a 'temporary' insurance for teams who couldn't provide proof of insurance. I don't recall being asked to prove insurance coverage at the two worlds I did attend elsewhere, although it could have been lumped into the fees.
Morison Communications - Publishers of Model Aviation Canada
Morison is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #5
agl892
RCC Contributor

I am: Chad Northeast
Radio of choice:
Futaba - Felt the difference long ago
# of RCs: >1

Total Props: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post

Thanks Michael.

This may be a reach, but do we have anything with the EU or particularly, in the UK through BMFA?

What happens when Canadian FAI teams travel abroad to fly in world contests/events? How are they covered?
In the 7 Worlds I have been to the local organizations have always provided temporary coverage for participants, you have to think some worlds have close to 40 countries participating.

Even when I flew in the US for the 2011 WC, they provided temporary memberships for the Canadians.

MAAC will also provide temp memberships for out of country people flying here.

As well when I have competed in non-worlds events in Colombia and Australia they provided me temporary memberships as well.
agl892 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:44 PM   #6
Bdegan
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41

I contacted our MAAC insurance chairman today asking the question regarding overseas coverage.
Here is what I found out......

MAAC does not have any reciprocal agreements with any other organizations other than the AMA.

The MAAC policy does cover overseas.

But.... it is a reimbursement type of coverage.

This may be a concern for any hosting clubs over there. They may not want to let you fly because of the terms of the policy.

You would be on the hook financially up front. You would then submit your receipts to the insurance company here, to be reimbursed. Less any deductibles.-
Being an incident may have happened on another continent. Proving the expenses and getting reimbursed may be an arduous task at best.

As Keith and Chad stated. For competitions, there is usually a temporary membership or insurance sold for non residence.

A person's best bet would be to join the local organization. Or at least request a temporary membership for the duration of your stay.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:06 AM   #7
Max
Administrator

Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Thanks Brad and others. That clears up a lot.

I will sticky this so that others who have the same question in the future can find this thread and make use of the information and references provided. Particularly for USA flying, I will print a copy of the reciprocal agreement to keep in my flight box when I travel to fly in the USA.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:36 PM   #8
RCBYAIR
RCC Apprentice

I am: Steve F
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX8
# of RCs: 40

Total Props: 0

Very informative, thank you all so much!!
Steve
RCBYAIR is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:07 PM   #9
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dennis DWP

Total Props: 12

One thing that is really important to remember is that you are bound to follow the strictest of the limitations of which ever organization you either belong to or are flying with at the time. For example if you fly jets here and belong to MAAC there is no restriction on speed. If you fly in the US you must follow their 200 mph limit and when they fly here they must still follow their 200 mph limit. Same with aircraft weight when you fly in the US their weight limits apply and when they fly here their weight limits still apply.

Dennis
Lazy Ace is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:26 PM   #10
flybywire
RCC Noob

I am: fly fbwa
Radio of choice:
Japan
# of RCs: 16

Total Props: 0

Formally reciprocal agreement with AMA is in place but good luck fighting your claim, big or small if it involves new technology which MAAC insurance committee does not understand or accept. Basically it felt like if that is not a balsa plane flown in a circuit at the club field your chances of getting MAAC insurance pay for property damage are close to zero. All that "park flying covered" is a simply BS to attract more members (fees) and keep existing from dropping membership. At the time when I had an accident over the Atlantic ocean waters where was no insurance policy on the MAAC web site. It was added a month later. Interesting that when I called in reporting accident first question was "Is it a multi-rotor with the camera involved"? After I say "yes" long pause clearly stated "bad luck. your claim is denied". Surely it got denied after 4 month of MAAC keeping silence and only providing one excuse after another excuse.
BS #1: FPV is not allowed in US.
BS #2: UHF control
And since accident took place "there was a safety issue". Any communication stops at this moment MACC shut the door for 8 year in a row member. They "feel that claim should be denied". Decisions are based on feelings of certain individuals within MAAC. Great. You do your best to have all permissions, licenses and safety things taken care of but if accident did happen it means that there was a "safety issue". You fail.

I am wondering how many of similar cases ended up in the trash bin with "denied" stamp on them. Why not publish details of all reported accidents?

For myself now I know there is no point so subscribe to magazine $100/year. I am not going to renew my membership after seeing all this BS with the claim handling by MAAC.
But for others it might be very educational to know what outcome of accident can be.

Max, flying FPV in LOS range with a spotter by all the MAAC and AMA posted rules must never end with an accident. If it did there was "a safety issue" followed by "feels like claim should be denied". You got warned.
flybywire is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in