Can digital servos work on a 72MHz system - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 05-15-2010, 08:36 AM   #1
bensidus197217
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: jim w
Radio of choice:
futaba
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 9
Can digital servos work on a 72MHz system

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I use analog servos right now but can digital servos work on a PCM 72 MHz system? Can I have some digital servos and some analog servos working together plugged into the same reciever? What size servos do you need for a Trex 500? Thanks in advance for any and all help
bensidus197217 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
DO335
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 6
Re: Can digital servos work on a 72MHz system

Digital servos came long before there was anything other than 72mhz radios.

That has nothing to do with whether or not your servos are digital.

It also makes no difference if you mix your digital servos and your analog servos in the same aircraft. Generally, I run digitals on the flight controls and an low torque analog on the throttle.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

Digital servos run on an analogue signal from the receiver.

Once in a while there are some incompatibilities, but mostly with new 2.4 GHz receivers outputting lower voltage signal than the servo requires, but uncommon.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
Spitball
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: Cedric V.

Total Props: 1

For some unspecified reason - perhaps sales, ESky say don't mix their digital servos with analogue ones - I can't think why though - anybody got any ideas?
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
Real Gambler
RCC Contributor

I am: Real D

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
For some unspecified reason - perhaps sales, ESky say don't mix their digital servos with analogue ones - I can't think why though - anybody got any ideas?
Wild guess: digital servos take more current. Maybe when they design a bird, they spec the ESC so it's barely strong enough to drive the Rx and analog servos, so switching to digital may overload the internal BEC on the ESC.

If it's the other way around then sure enough, if you have a bird that is designed to use digital servo (F3P?), you don't want to switch to analog since they will not have enough torque near the zero, and will make the whole plane feel mushy.

Sure enough, to answer the original question: when you use digital servo, you have to make sure your ESC can provide enough current to drive them. In a T-Rex, you absolutely need one for the tail because the gyro will send very fast signal to the servo, and most of the time, the servo will be near the zero point, where a digital will give you a lot of torque, but an analog may have a hard time. For the CCPM, you can go analog particularly for your first flights since you'll likely break quite a few. Then, sure enough, you want digital (same reason, more accuracy and torque near center point). Sure enough, the last thing you would want is to have 1 digital and 2 analog for your CCPM or 2 digital and 1 CCPM. If you do, make sure you take a video, it should be a big hit on youtube!

Last edited by Real Gambler; 05-15-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Real Gambler is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:56 PM   #6
bensidus197217
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: jim w
Radio of choice:
futaba
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 9

OK so then it's mostly about amp draw with digitals. I thought of going metal gear digital throughout and will have a 80amp ESC. I don't do 3d only sport flying 3d just doesn't look right. So based on the fact my flying is very mellow do you think that arrangement I mentioned will work?
bensidus197217 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:12 AM   #7
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensidus197217 View Post
OK so then it's mostly about amp draw with digitals. I thought of going metal gear digital throughout and will have a 80amp ESC. I don't do 3d only sport flying 3d just doesn't look right. So based on the fact my flying is very mellow do you think that arrangement I mentioned will work?
Yep, should work fine.
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:05 AM   #8
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensidus197217 View Post
will have a 80amp ESC.
but what is the current available from the BEC/UBEC?

mild flying shouldn't require metal gears, digital servos, or much current, I doubt you'll have problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in