LiPO volts vs 123 volts - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
Sabrejock

Total Props: 0
LiPO volts vs 123 volts

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
The ESC that came with a new foamy fanjet is labeled KMS 30Amps. And in smaller print "2-3LiPO". Do you think a 4 cell 1100 A123 be too much s far as voltage is concerned? Tex.
Sabrejock is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
Ken Currell

I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Re: LiPO volts vs 123 volts

Using nominal voltage of 3.7 for Lipo and 3.3 for A123 pack, it is 2.1 volts more than recommended.

Using fully charged votage it is still 2 volts higher than recommended.

I am not an electronics expert but IMHO.

It will likely work but the voltage regulator could overheat and shut down or possibly fail.
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
Sabrejock

Smile Re: LiPO volts vs 123 volts

Ta for that, Ken. I don't know a lot about these dinky planes. I did a bench run with a four cell pack and the smoke stayed put. It sure had a good blow, too. But I think I'll make up a three cell pack and see if it'll fly on that. I'd feel better knowing it's safe, even though the investment here is pretty small.

On second thought, if it's only the BEC that could fail, perhaps I could stick in a separate BEC like the E-flite. It weighs next to nothing. Tex.

Last edited by Sabrejock; 10-17-2008 at 05:34 PM.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:45 PM   #4
Ken Currell

I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Fly it for a short flight.
Check the BEC to see if it is HOT.

If it is only slightly warm then try a longer flight.
I think that the way you fly will also be a factor.

HOWEVER. As I stated I am NOT ON EXPERT in this field.

Someone with a bit more knowledge about it might have a different opinion.

Cheers

Ken
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

A primary concern should be the cut-off voltage, most speed controls are set to something like 2.9 volts/cell and the speed control needs to be programmed (or auto detect) the number of cells. How would this speed control know to set the cut-off voltage to 2.0 Volts x 4 cells?
Old 10-18-2008, 07:07 AM   #6
Sabrejock

Quote:
Originally Posted by moo View Post
How would this speed control know to set the cut-off voltage to 2.0 Volts x 4 cells?
As my usual stuff has many A123's and I don't use LVC, I'll only guess that as this controller is a 2-3 cell it can figger the high voltage as a 3 pack, even though the start voltage is a bit higher than that of a three cell LiPO. We'll see.

Thanks, Tex.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:19 AM   #7
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8

I use a 4 cell A123 on a heli with the Castle Creations BEC with no problems. I also use a timer so I don't get to low voltage cutoff which is programmed into the BEC at 2 volts per cell for the A123s. Not nice to have it cut out on a heli. The ESC gives out beeps for the # of cells it recognizes. As Tony the Tiger says "works grrrrreat". Just as an added note, they run much, much cooler than the lipo, or li-ions. Barely warm, where the others come out hot.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #8
robonline
RCC Contributor

I am: rob z

Why not just get an ESC that will do the job you are asking it to do? That would remove the uncertainty and be a safer model. I think it's better to ask this question now rather than at the post mortem after the crash, especially if someone got hurt.
I know the ESC came with the plane but then again it probably recommends Lipos and you've changed that. I would use Lipos with this ESC or A123 with a new ESC, just to be sure.
Rob.
robonline is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:30 PM   #9
DW_Crash
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Dave K
Radio of choice:
Airtronics / Aristocraft-Polks
# of RCs: 25+

Total Props: 3

Anybody have any idea when vendors will have ESCs that work directly with 123 cells? So we don't have to jury rig.

DW_crash
Old 04-01-2009, 10:17 PM   #10

Total Props: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrejock View Post
The ESC that came with a new foamy fanjet is labeled KMS 30Amps. And in smaller print "2-3LiPO". Do you think a 4 cell 1100 A123 be too much s far as voltage is concerned? Tex.
Which jet is it? Frankly, many of them have underspec ESCs to begin with, and simply switching from the stock 15 or 18c battery to a 25c one is enough to cook it. If it is 25 or 30a, it's probably on the edge to begin with, and keep in mind that many of these cheap ESCs are overrated to begin with. Most work fine, if kept between limits, but adding 2v is asking for it, in most cases. Adding a four lipo cell is a sure fire way to surely fire it.
It's not a question of the voltage regulator burning out, you can cook the actual mosfets on the board. Been dere, done dat.
Best bet is to switch up to a 40 or 50a ESC, and then you have nothing to worry about. But you are certainly playing with fire. Remember, too, the fan will unload in the air.
I have cooked a 30a 3 cell esc in a half second by accidentally putting in a 4s battery.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in