4 Stroke - inverted installation - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 03-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #21
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101
Re: 4 Stroke - inverted installation

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Not so much. You can move things around inside the fuse, (battery, etc.) to balance out the weight of the motor if it throws lateral balance out, but adding just a slight amount to one wingtip works just as well or better.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #22
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

The reason That I chose to mount the engine inverted on my Slow Poke (see avitar) was to lower the vertical center of mass so that it would be closer to the center of lift. By mounting it inverted you not only lower the weight of the engine but also you have to lower the fuel tank and it's associated weight in the fuselage. A double advantage!

Now I must admit that on this plane it is probably a bit over kill to worry about but you pattern guys know what I'm talking about! It helps make the transition between upright & inverted flying more neutral.

The only down side I have experianced with it is the glow plug is in an awkward place! Could be fixed with a remote connection though...
Old 04-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #23
Generalwolfe
RCC Apprentice

I am: Rick C
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 13

Can I kick this thread open again with a question? I am trying my first 4-stroke - a Saito 62 - and the only way it's going to fit is inverted. It's a tight fit but not bad and the cowl trims nicely for goog ventilation. By the way, it was the information in this thread that encouraged me to go this route. The one concern I have is that the crankcase vent nipple now points up instead of down. Is this a problem? Should I run tubing from it to direct it downward? When I had the engine on the test stand for break-in a fair amount of oil drained out of the crankcase through this nibble. In the inverted position how will this residual oil drain?
Generalwolfe is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #24
JKovats
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John R
Radio of choice:
JR

Total Props: 20

That's a great question that I don't thing there is a written answer to. I have a bunch of Saitos upright, sideways and inverted and the nipple on the newer ones points in many different directions. Never had a problem.

That is a vent line and develops a fair amount of pressure when the enginge is running and I believe it will blow any excess oil out.

There are no cautions about this in any Saito literature that I have ever read. If it mattered, I believe Saito would say so.

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #25
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Only recommendation on the vent line is to keep it short or go with a larger I.D. tubing as close to the engine as possible. If too long and/or too small an I.D. it will simply keep cycling the bypass oil back and forth and not drain properly.

Here is a pic of the Saito 125a installation in Rare Bear. The large diameter cowl mandated the drain run to where it can exit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0122.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	149112  
Old 04-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #26
Generalwolfe
RCC Apprentice

I am: Rick C
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 13

Thanks Cougar, but the picture you attached shows the crankcase vent on the backplate, so regardless of the engine orientation, the vent is always in the same place. On the Saito 62 (and I believe on most of the more recent Saito single cylinder engines) the vent nipple is on the bottom of the crankcase pointing straight down so when you invert the engine the nipple points straight up. To drain the the crankcase out the bottom of the cowl I will need about 8 inches of tubing with 180 degree bend in it. I could try and vent it to the side as that would only require a 90 degree bend. Your comment about longer tubing requiring greater inside diameter - this gets at the heart of my concern. Throw in the 180 bend and I worry there will be inadequate venting.

As JKovats points out in his comment, Saito literature is silent on the issue. But that literature does say a 4 inch length of tubing can be attached to the nipple. Does that mean that more than 4 inches is not recommended??
Generalwolfe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #27
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Sorry, perhaps I could have been more specific. The pic was added simply to show the larger diameter tubing attached to the vent. This way it breathes better with a longer run to outside the cowl.

In your case the 90 or 180 degree bend would have to be made as close to the engine as you can to prevent as much bleedback as possible. If it is not breathing correctly one indication is oil leakage out the cam housing or valve covers. I imagine you will get a bit from the covers due to the inverted mounting. All my 4-strokes have been side mounted.

One other consideration with inverted mounting, (and one that is pretty much standard with them inside a cowl) is a remote glow connector. It will be a bit more difficult with the glow on the bottom even if not partially covered with the cowl. With remote glow you can mount it in a more accessible location.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #28
mrrandyman
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Randy
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 10

Hi Folks,
Good thread.
I have a Saito 82 inverted and it smoke to beat heck. It runs fine but all the smoke has me concerened.
Is it that the oil has no where to go and is being burned off through the muffler?
I just don't want to cook the engine.
Also what would be the smallest twin a person can get.
I think it would look good in another Great Planes Cub?
Thanks
Randy

Last edited by mrrandyman; 08-31-2012 at 01:24 PM.
mrrandyman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:20 PM   #29
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX 20 & DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 237

what I would do is go to the field ,find a guy running your intended setup that is having no problems and watch what he is doing .I have never had a 4cycle that would not run better than a 2 stroke in any orientation but starting procedure and engine setup can be a bit tricky for a new guy and this is not something you can teach easily .the best way is to be shown.remember be sure to ask the guy having no trouble. I don't know how many times I have seen a new guy approach a bunch of guys messing with a motor they can't get running and ask them for help, why is this,ask the guy having no trouble.
4 cycle motors are amazing but you need a good teacher .
one piece of advice ,if they pull out a electric starter find someone else.
a 4 cycle will start 1st flip every time without fail unless you are doing something wrong or the motor is too hot.electric starters will destroy a 4 cycle motor in no time and IMO are dangerous if you slip when the starter kicks you off as your wrist will likely go through the spinning prop.

a few pointers - use only OS f-plugs /use only 4 cycle fuel ,2 cycle with the same nitro has too much oil, I found coolpower green to work well/start engine only by flipping engine backwards, bouncing the prop against compression.(but get help, don't try to learn this yourself) if you see someone starting there engine this way ask for there help.

Last edited by RAMJET; 08-31-2012 at 03:33 PM.
RAMJET is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #30
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrandyman View Post
Hi Folks,
Good thread.
I have a Saito 82 inverted and it smoke to beat heck. It runs fine but all the smoke has me concerened.
Is it that the oil has no where to go and is being burned off through the muffler?
I just don't want to cook the engine.
Also what would be the smallest twin a person can get.
I think it would look good in another Great Planes Cub?
Thanks
Randy
Question #1: If it's smoking, it means it,s getting lubed! When it stops smoking is the time to be worrying about "cooking" your engine! All glow engines should show a little smoke trail in the air.

Question #2: Saito .60 twin. Great running little engine!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in