The real ads VS content debate in model magazines - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 06-30-2010, 11:02 AM   #11

Total Props: 57
Re: The real ads VS content debate in model magazines

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Esplen View Post
If you want reviews on a current plane/ products by the guys that use them look at a few of the popular forums.......Flying Giants, RC Groups, RC Canada, RCU......if your looking for info on something being used, it is generally available on these forums or start a thread asking about a product,,,,,,,I use magazines for laying on the couch reading and as a source of looking at new products that are popping up every week in this hobby (Ads),,,,,,,,,,If I'm serious about buying something I don't rely on a magazine review only....My 2 cents
No, sir. Respectfully. The forums are absolutely CHOCK FULL of SHILLS who got the products for FREE, and if anything, much WORSE than ANY magazine.
I know, I just pulled a pin on a grenade and tossed it in, but there it is.
I am sick to death of reading about how people can get "the true story" about something on the internet. It's a lot of HOOEY.
What you get on the internet these days is a lot of shilling, firstup.
Secondup, you get "reviews" by people who have NO IDEA OF WHAT THEY ARE DOING.
I was just reading a bunch of idiots RIPPING APART a certiain pusher seaplane, just tearing it up, talking about calling their congressman and the BBB and whatnot...HEY, DUDES...YOU HAVE THE PROP ON BACKWARDS. MIGHT HELP IF YOU PUT THE PROP ON THE RIGHT WAY.
I'm sorry, but there is too much of that...people busting on this product or that, calling it junk, while having NO IDEA OF WHAT THEY ARE DOING.
It's just incredibly ironic to have people keep saying "oh, you can get the REAL DEAL on the internet, the magazines are full of it!" when it's just so far from reality...

I have written 50+ magazine articles, nobody has EVER asked me to polish a turd.
The reality is more simplistic...if an item sucks, I will tell the manufacturer...and they will ususally say "we will try better next time."
Why don't they publish negative reviews? Well, it's simple...they COULD * off advertisers, but a more prevailing factor is this...they take up room that could be used for another GOOD product. There is only so much room in each issue, and there are so many great products out there today, why take up the space?
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:17 AM   #12
Scott Esplen
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Scotte

Total Props: 2

True in some instances, but if you a serious about gathering info on a product the truth will surface if you look hard enough......I guess what could be said is don't believe everything you read,,,,,,,What is real and what is BS is up to the reader to decide...IMO
Old 06-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #13
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61

I have read this position many times - who need magazines, there are loads of internet sites that offer feedback and experiences, etc on products.

However, as stated - there is also a ton of misinformation that is also on the net. TONS of it. I see it every day... guys having issues with a certain engine/airframe/radio/etc and the next thing you know its being bashed. What the poster sometimes (ok often IMO) fails to reveal is his/her lack of experience and perhaps they themselves are the cause of the issues.

Conversely, you might get someone who just spent a bundle on an item, and in the honeymoon phase give it glowing praise. Yet a few weeks or months after when problems start up they remain silent, due to something (maybe buyers remorse, embarrassment, etc).

Its easy to see who's telling the truth when you have experience (or if you know the poster and his/her intergrity). But its the new or lesser expereinced guys who blindly believe anyone with umpteen posts...

Nothing in print or on line is 100% infallible. I have read reviews that made me cringe - and I have also read a lot of stuff on line that is just downright wrong/a lie/ false/shilling/etc

There is also a lot of great information in print, and on line as well - but you have to know enough to weed through the crap, and pick out whats useful.

AJC
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:54 AM   #14
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Quote:
True in some instances, but if you a serious about gathering info on a product the truth will surface if you look hard enough......I guess what could be said is don't believe everything you read,,,,,,,What is real and what is BS is up to the reader to decide...IMO
The other issue is - people in general like to talk about things that pi$$ them off. Most of the stuff on line is complaints about stuff - and lesser about how good somethign was.

WHen was the last time you read "oh, I bought a new brand X engine and it runs exactly as described"? How about this... "oh I just bought brand X engine and I cant get it to run, what a POS, they are all out to screw us over, etc"?

WHat about, "I have been using brand X receivers for years and never had any issues"? But you see "oh this new brand X radio is crap! It cost me a plane and they are all out to get us".... ALL the time.

Magazines, just like ET said, rarely print reviews of crappy things. Its much better to read about a good product, from a company that will probably be around in a years time. Most crap doesnt last very long.

And the funny thing, in 6 years of product testing and about 60 or so reviews I have written, I have not yet got something that was a waste of time, on the contrary, most of what I get to review is very good to excellent, and thats a good thing. You have to look hard to find really really poor quality thigns today in the hobby.

AJC

Old 06-30-2010, 12:16 PM   #15
Scott Esplen
RCC Junior Contributor

AJ when you are given a product to review how long is it evaluated before you are obligated to submit your report? Are the products you review returned to the manufacturer or do you get to keep them?
When I read about airplane builds and see lots of glowing reviews at the beginning, but many postings later the small or big issues start to emerge which happens with almost every airframe, some of which are totally true and could save your ship or make the initial build much easier,,,,,,,some of course are user induced or BS----not very easy to pick out the truths but experience and reviewer reputation does make a big difference on believability,,,,,,This does make it tough for a newbee to decipher and this is where belonging good flying club can help to gather the needed info to make smart buying decisions....
Old 06-30-2010, 12:26 PM   #16
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Quote:
AJ when you are given a product to review how long is it evaluated before you are obligated to submit your report? Are the products you review returned to the manufacturer or do you get to keep them?
I generally get to keep engines I review, although not always. I have had to send some back to the manufacturer, some go on to other writers for use in airframe reviews, and of course I have reviewed several engines I have actually bought myself that I thought would make good review material, and was OK'd by the editors.

In terms of how long, thats generally up to me. But, I am usually working on engines for a few months before I have to submit my review.

I beleive I am the first (and to my knowledge only) engine reviewer that started the flight testing phase. Before me, all reviews I have ever read were static reviews generally on one fuel, and one plug and a few props.

I have always tested my engines with several fuels, several props and also 3 or 4 different plugs. I break in engines before I test them, and generally flight test every engine (although I have not been able to do that 100% as sometimes, especially in winter, weather doesnt cooperate).

When I am done an engine review, I firmly believe I have given it a thorough testing. I try and fly the crap out if the engine to see how it will behave in the air and also have stated some engines had fuel draw issues, or disliked hard aerobatics, etc while others performed great no matter what maneuvers I did.

ANyhow, I still get to choose what I review most of the time. Although I ask for a lot of engines I dont get to work on.

AJC

Old 06-30-2010, 12:39 PM   #17
Scott Esplen
RCC Junior Contributor

Sounds like a dream job to some of us and I'm sure your reputation from what I have read is second to none here in Canada----Keep up the good work!......You could aways send your overflow out here to the West Coast,,,we get to fly year round, except when its raining!!
Old 06-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #18
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Quote:
Sounds like a dream job to some of us and I'm sure your reputation from what I have read is second to none here in Canada----Keep up the good work!......You could aways send your overflow out here to the West Coast,,,we get to fly year round, except when its raining!!
Scott,
You would think so, but like anything else, sometimes it is a royal PITA to have a deadline, and be busy with work/family/other responsibilities and still have to find XX hours in order to test and then write up the articles.

The other thing, is you have to be able to (as being a capable modeler) write well enough, take decent photographs, work to tight deadlines and work with the editorial staff. Many reviewers are "tried out" and dont work out for various reasons. You might think the chance of getting "free stuff" is nice, but in reality its a fair bit of work/time... more than most think.

I used to do a monthly review for years. I cant keep it up anymore, and have to miss every few months. There is finally a 2nd reviewer on line with Fly RC that is taking up some slack, when I cant make a deadline.

I love the job, but its really not a job... more as a part of the hobby. As much as I get to keep a lot of really nice engines, and also some airframes - you would be surprised to know I spend a lot of my own money on the reviews as well... and I have bought a lot of fuel/props/plugs/electronic gear/etc all out of my own pocket through the years.

Case in point, I am going to be doing a full airframe and turbine review on a new jet for the magazine - which I am paying for myself... no free bee's. I will get a few items/accessories at a discount, but nothing for free. You can bet that the review will be 100% truthful.

AJC

Old 06-30-2010, 01:07 PM   #19
Scott Esplen
RCC Junior Contributor

Sounds like you a very dedicated to get info to us and good luck with your next project/review, I will be looking forward to reading more about it,,,,,Cheers
Old 07-01-2010, 08:40 AM   #20

Total Props: 57

I think if you knew just who was getting what for free or at a discount, you would find that the major forums have a WORSE ratio of ads to content than any of the magazines.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in