Build Log - Scratch Special River Navaids Tender - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Boat Discussion Discuss RC Boats, submarines & hovercrafts in electric or nitro.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:31 AM   #1
Guard-Officer
RCC Apprentice

I am: Travis B
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 0
Post Build Log - Scratch Special River Navaids Tender

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
So the next project i have on the go is a scratch build of a Mackenzie River High Endurance shallow water buoy tender. The CCGS Dumit, pronounced Doo-Mitt, drafts only 5.5 ft at deep draft and usually runs at between 4.5 and 5.0 ft drafts. her length over all is 49.9m (150')

Unlike any other builds i have done, i am going to attempt to build this one of Styrene and a few brass parts. the frames are already cut out and i have ordered some small electric motors. i only have to figure out where to get propellers only 12mm in diameter. the crane will have limited functions (slewing and topping)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dumit001.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	47069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dumit002.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	47070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dumit003.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	47071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dumit005.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	47072  

Guard-Officer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
Silver_xj

Re: Build Log - Scratch Special River Navaids Tender

That is a really cool looking boat to start with, how is the project going so far? any pictures on progress? I always love watching build projects take shape.
Silver_xj is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:34 AM   #3
Guard-Officer
RCC Apprentice

Hi Silver,
Sorry no pictures yet, i am always getting distracted by either work, or visits from my folks and the sort. plus i have a new (to me) boat that i have been spending a lot of time in this summer. I am going to try and remember to take pictures atleast of what i have done, right now i am trying to figure out how exactly to do this build. I did some experimenting with a heat gun and thin styrene over a block of wood, it might work, but will be very difficult. i am just waiting to go and pick up some materials to continue on this project.
Thanks for the interest though, it was the first ship i ever worked on, and i am actually kind of excited to get this one on the go.

regards
G-O

Old 07-31-2009, 07:58 PM   #4
Silver_xj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard-Officer View Post
Hi Silver,
Sorry no pictures yet, i am always getting distracted by either work, or visits from my folks and the sort. plus i have a new (to me) boat that i have been spending a lot of time in this summer. I am going to try and remember to take pictures atleast of what i have done, right now i am trying to figure out how exactly to do this build. I did some experimenting with a heat gun and thin styrene over a block of wood, it might work, but will be very difficult. i am just waiting to go and pick up some materials to continue on this project.
Thanks for the interest though, it was the first ship i ever worked on, and i am actually kind of excited to get this one on the go.

regards
G-O
I can relate with that, I'm trying to get a ton of projects finished up but never seem to find a spare minute to even look at them. Also I picked up a new r/c boat a month back that seems to find its way into spare time...
I'll definitly be watching this thread for any pics, etc. best of luck, scratch builds are always fun to watch take shape & try to figure out how in hell someone did what they've achieved.
Silver_xj is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
Guard-Officer
RCC Apprentice

Hello All,
Its been quite a while now, but i have finally started on my CCGS Dumit. I have abandonned the plastic hull build, i just dont have the skill to do a complex stern and high flare angles out of the plastic. so i opted to do the hull out of wood, and the superstructure out of the plastic. because ths model is so small i will be using a speed controller and motors from the "wright brothers" model. simple forward or stop kind of set up. The hull is nice and small so i used balsa blocks for the hull sides and bow and stern and will sand to shape. i used a piece of 1/32 bass wood for the bottom plating. and will be going from there. I didnt have my camera with me when i started work, so i will have t get pictures later. but there atleast is an update for those interested.

Also, is there any one in the Sarnia area? myself and a friend both are in the are for the next month with out models and wouldn't mind getting in on a meet some where.

G-O
Old 11-03-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
Guard-Officer
RCC Apprentice

hello all!
i have finally got some progress to show you on the Dumit model. i have shaped out most of the hull and started to get closer to it looking like a little ship. i think i need to bring the flare deeper on the bow, but so far it is looking nice. i have a littl more progress than what the pic's show, but not much!

regards
G-O
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0016.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	62371   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0017.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	62372   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0018.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	62373  
Old 11-09-2010, 04:40 AM   #7
Guard-Officer
RCC Apprentice

Just Like the Polar 8 Project,
My Dumit thread has been left a little long here. I have done some work, and even made it out for a sail! Thats right, Motors are in! I have some shaft work to do, because the existing ones are giving me too much friction, but here is a few pictures of it so far!
Cheers
G-O
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	89719   Click image for larger version

Name:	036.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	89720   Click image for larger version

Name:	037.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	89721   Click image for larger version

Name:	038.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	89722  

Name:	039.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	89723   Click image for larger version

Name:	040.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	89724   Click image for larger version

Name:	041.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	89725   Click image for larger version

Name:	043.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	89726  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in