Fixing leading edge of freshly cut foam core wing? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 07:18 PM   #11
KC8QVO

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Deleted - repeat of the one above
KC8QVO is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:20 PM   #12
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 9
Glad I could help

Hi Steve,

Glad I may be of help in the future. I think it is called Lite Speckeling Compound, but I'm not sure - anyways its for making drywall and plaster repairs and works very well and should be at your local building supply.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:49 PM   #13
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Hi Wayne, yes that's what it's called. (spackling compound, lightweight)
I use it all the time, but it's only good for shallow dents and gouges. It sounded like he needed something a little stronger!

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 06-20-2006, 12:48 AM   #14
Canhos
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mike Gyger

One more thing, relating to the first post here.

Carbon Fiber is a bad thing for radio interference. Don't use it Steve, your asking for troubles. A bit in the fuse and center of the wing for strength, but not the whole thing. You'll be flying a giant free flight model if you use the Carbon Fiber.

Fiberglass is the way to go, you can get the 1/2 or 3/4 oz stuff for the covering, and your off to the races.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:04 AM   #15
KC8QVO

Hmm.. interference from carbon fiber? I am assuming it has some kind of electrically conducting material in it then? I have never heard of problems using it before. Ill investigate it a bit further to be sure, I dont want to loose my airplane. With my 40oz tank and the 25cc engine it can go a LONG way before going out of gas! (if its flying south it would probably cross into the US from my place on the lake , and thats no joke... 50 miles is doable on a 40oz tank )

Would the drywall compound be good to use as a filler before fiberglassing? I know some guys use balsa-rite or something to smoothe out the imperfections so the glass is smoothe.

Steve
Old 06-20-2006, 06:30 AM   #16
Dennis 9412
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dennis DuBois
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-10G, JR XP9303
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6
Damaged leading edge

Steve:

How badly is it damaged?

If it was me, I would cut off the damaged piece and put a balsa leading edge on it. Just cut it off square and glue the balsa piece on and shape it. The balsa leading edge will give your wing some strength, and its easy to do.

If you don't want to do that, cut off the damaged leading edge, cut a new foam leading edge using your template and glue it on. Save yourself a lot of work.

Dennis
CFI Orillia Aeromodelers
Dennis 9412 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:51 AM   #17
igor_throw_the_switch
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Brad Kacer

If you want the GG to foam up more and be easier to sand, mix in some good ole white glue. White glue will mix in a lot easier than the water drops. You can also add acrylic paint to the white glue first if you want to tint the foam, then add it to the GG. The GG will foam up quicker and set faster using the white glue.

I think Dennis has the right idea here. If it's that badly messed up, cut it off and put on a new one.

You're gonna find that CF will be rather expensive, and it's overkill IMO. Go for the glass instead.

BRad

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387124

Brad Kacer
MAAC # 29287
igor_throw_the_switch is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:21 AM   #18
KC8QVO

Well the LE is messsed up about an inch in, I am not sure I can find a LE stock that big. I thought about that one, but I dont think it will work. I could cut off the LE and cut a new one. Thats an idea. Ill think about that one and see if I can come up with how to do it. The trick is it has to be stable in the machine.

As for the carbon fiber, I might be able to get all the materials for free Like I said though, I will investigate it and see what the deal is with the interference (or loss of signal?) associated with carbon fiber cloth. If it is in fact going to be too risky then Ill use fiberglass cloth instead. I want to understand the material better is all, maybe Ill start a new thread on that one.

Steve
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in