why MAAC? - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 09:26 PM   #31
Tmaxx4ever
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 1

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
just saw one of a club's helipter guys flying with nothing between him and the helicopter while it was doing inverted flight.
What is the difference between the helicopter flying normally and flying inverted? If it's at an acceptable distance away what safety does the waist high fence provide? The fences offer no protection from flying models... the only thing they're going to do is stop a taxing airplane, or a helicopter sliding toward the pilot at the end of an auto-rotation.
Tmaxx4ever is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:00 PM   #32
nigol
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaxx4ever
Quote:
just saw one of a club's helipter guys flying with nothing between him and the helicopter while it was doing inverted flight.
What is the difference between the helicopter flying normally and flying inverted? If it's at an acceptable distance away what safety does the waist high fence provide? The fences offer no protection from flying models... the only thing they're going to do is stop a taxing airplane, or a helicopter sliding toward the pilot at the end of an auto-rotation.

My goodness, how off topic can you get!!! ........... The original OP's comment was "What is MAAC .. How effective is MAAC and Should I join MAAC" ......... some contributors have given sound advice but others have done nothing more than advocate there own agenda ........... geez! there was a time when aeromodelling was a genuine pleasure but sadly ... no more!!!!!..............
nigol is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:24 PM   #33
g-manz35
RCC Master Contributor

I am: George S
Radio of choice:
Airtronics
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2
I can see it now. Poor Borat is in the corner curled up in the fetal position. "All I wanted to know is what MACC was" "Make these crazy people go away" "GO AWAY" "GO AWAY" and so on.......

Boart. I hope you got your answer. As for the rest of it. Don't worry its not always like this. This is a Great site! You just happened to step on a wasps nest.

If you want to join a club and hang out with other modelers (which is the best option) you will have to join MACC they will provide you with insurance and you will be protected when out at a sanctioned field. If you live in the boonies like I do than there is no point. I now fly my planes on the 1/4 section that I live on. There is no one in site for at leased a mile. If you have no other choice but to fly away from a sanctioned field I would strongly recommend that you use good judgement. Be careful flying in parks as a lot of towns/cities have bylaws against it.

Cheers. George

G-manz35 AKA. George St.Amant MAAC#75084
g-manz35 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:40 AM   #34
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Randy Brown

Total Props: 4
Quess you forgot to look at the last issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrocat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Brown
Pretty hard to say 100% saftey code though when the the MAAC mag shows pics in it breaking them isnt it?
Are you referring to that shot from last year where it looked like someone was flying a giant 3D model directly in front of themselves with no safety fencing and immediately in front of the crowd of on-lookers?

I think that the whole story has been covered both here, on the MAAC / ZD websites and in the magazine as well.

The picture in question was taken with a telephoto lens at a distance,which results in the foreshortening of the items behind the pilot, making them look a lot closer. Yes, no safety fencing directly in front of the pilot, but that was becasue he was standing next to the fencing and the plane and the crowd were well-seperated, with the ZD and club safety officer standing right there.

Yes, I will agree that many clubs do cut corners and do not enforce the rules -- just saw one of a club's helipter guys flying with nothing between him and the helicopter while it was doing inverted flight.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:15 AM   #35
Kargon
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Karl Goinarov

Total Props: 41
MAAC provides us with the safety rule guidelines and insurance, they are not a police unit.

As mature adults each one of us is responsible to follow and enforce these rules in order to keep our fields and our insurance. Without insurance from MAAC, most clubs will cease to exist because no one will lease land for a flying field or rent a hall for a swap meet.

Soooo... take your chances and fly at a park, want a field, you better get MAAC. (hey look ,I'm a poet)
Kargon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:03 PM   #36

Total Props: 57
[quote="Tmaxx4everWhat is the difference between the helicopter flying normally and flying inverted? If it's at an acceptable distance away what safety does the waist high fence provide? The fences offer no protection from flying models... the only thing they're going to do is stop a taxing airplane, or a helicopter sliding toward the pilot at the end of an auto-rotation.[/quote]

According to the safety code, fences are required. The club in questin has fences and tell its members to use the fences regardless of what they are flying. This guy wasn't using one. End of discussion.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:44 PM   #37
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Randy Brown

Total Props: 4
When it comes to saftey its never end of discussion

[quote=byrocat]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Tmaxx4everWhat is the difference between the helicopter flying normally and flying inverted? If it's at an acceptable distance away what safety does the waist high fence provide? The fences offer no protection from flying models... the only thing they're going to do is stop a taxing airplane, or a helicopter sliding toward the pilot at the end of an auto-rotation.[/quote

According to the safety code, fences are required. The club in questin has fences and tell its members to use the fences regardless of what they are flying. This guy wasn't using one. End of discussion.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:46 PM   #38
David McMillan
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: David M

Total Props: 1
Interesting Discussion, Totally off topic, but interesting.

There has been alot of movement in the industy lately that has brought aspects of the safety code into question. Electric power and lighter construction materials and smaller electronics has changed the way we look at flying.

As the Head Guy for the MAAC Sanctioned Indoor Electric Flyers, I'd like to comment on my experience setting up the new club.
We were approved with substational modifications to the Safety Code standards. Something I wasn't sure would "fly".

In addition we have implemented some safety precautions of our own to compensate for our unique circumstances.

Our Zone director has been very helpful in supporting our cause and most of us at the club are proud to be MAAC approved, but we still have the odd individual jaded by the burocracy. "Damn those LIPO BAGS!"

The IEF functions as a test bed for a new type of club and by next year I hope the see the Safey Code modified for indoor applications based on our experiences.

With any luck we'll have sanctioned and insured winter flying across the country before long.

This is one shining example of how the MAAC works for us to better the sport, and responds to our changing needs.

CUDOS to all the executive on this one...
David McMillan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in