Promoting Offroad R/C - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 09:09 PM   #1
gremek
RCC Senior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Promoting Offroad R/C

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Alright guys...it's time to get serious. Offroad racing got huge in the late 80s for a reason - promotion by word of mouth - internet didn't even exist for us back then. The love of the hobby took over and fueled what would be the start of many solid years of racing. I remember racing days with 75 to 100 people registered for one day alone in the GTA. That was 18 years ago!

That was 1/10 scale off-road. Competitive race kits were $400+. We are now dealing with 1/18th scale. Much more affordable (i.e. $200 RTR) - also, takes up much less track space. (1/10 scale cars required a much larger track, therefore much more leasing space, therefore very high cost)

We don't need 75 people. It would be encouraging to have 15 out for a race day. That would create at least 3 groups of 5 in the qualifying rounds.

So what will it take? Let's start with our friend and extended family. Anyone looking for something new to take on. Guys who used to play video games on their spare time.

Also, anyone who currently owns a 1/18 car and is looking to buy another one - perhaps bring a friend out to test out your 'old' car, just to get them excited about the hobby.

It has been YEARS since an offroad track has existed in the GTA, and now we have one with Toronto Zees - if we are not pro-active with our strategy, then offroad racing will FADE AWAY, just as it did in the early 90s.

To add to the spirit and variety of the hobby, there are people out there willing to setup large offroad tracks OUTDOORS across the GTA, once spring hits us, and once they have a hint that the interest is out there.

I think I have said enough.

Please... post your thoughts!!!

mike
gremek is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:30 PM   #2
Glenn Garrugia - Brotherdirt

Amen!

In the name of the tranny, the diff, and the holy roller!!

My lord man that was beautiful

common boys lets show our support!!
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:56 PM   #3
samboneecanada
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Sean H

It's all in the friendly message

I think that Mike is right. We need to encourage the hobby with the people that we know.
It's going to be possible for us to promote at stores/places of business races/promotions whereby a small group of select drivers could go to "McDonalds" or other popular places and hold a friendly race/drive. this can be done simply by getting in touch with them and setting a date where their customers would be interested in seeing a race and therefor there would be a crossover of their clients and potential rcers.

perhaps these places should be spots where people already have this disposable income and would want to try something new.

If there is anyone that lives in the mississauga / oakville area, we need to work together.

it's now the time for a big push for the RC hobby.

This is just the beginning.

Sean
samboneecanada is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-24-2006, 06:00 AM   #4
ayk_driver
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew C
Radio of choice:
Old School FM... Futaba mainly
# of RCs: 5+

as much as i agee with ur point i disagree with one thing... u cant try and promote hardcore and want tons of support but only have 15 ppl show..... if u get good support ur gonna get alot of racers and if u start to pick and choose from the group ur gonna make enemies.... just a thought
Old 01-24-2006, 09:12 AM   #5
Grandmaster G
RCC Expert Contributor

Toronto Zees hardly qualifies as an 'offroad track'

lets be real

minis are fun......but thats it........people want 1/10, 1/8 size offroad tracks for some REAL offroad racing

taking nothing away from Toronto Zees....but it is what it is...a mini track that that mostly all of us could set up in our back yards

promote it for what it is...MINI TRACK....nothing wrong with that

to call Toronto Zees an indoor offroad track would be misleading

calling it an indoor offroad MINI track would be better
Grandmaster G is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:16 PM   #6
gremek
RCC Senior Contributor

re: mini track

Hey Grandmaster,

If we get more people coming out, don't think Toronto Zees won't knock down that WALL and expand the track!

As for the 15 people thing, I think the msg was misconstrued - to get 15 people coming out regularily, we probably will have to promote heavily! And of course 15 people would be nice, let alone 30 or 40. No one is hand picking. It's better to have drivers of ALL levels racing. We must encourage anyone with a mild interest.

mike
gremek is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:46 PM   #7
adam lancia
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Adam Lancia

grandmaster: the difference between toronto zees and 'the rest of us that could build one in our backyard' is they DID build one. i went there a few weeks ago, had a blast and plan on being there thursday night to have more fun!!! it's dirt, it has jumps, it's offroad, period. wether it is for mini's, 10th scale or 8th scale, it's still offroad. thanks to zees for a place to get a little dirty in the winter months!!!!

adam
adam lancia is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:35 PM   #8
Grandmaster G
RCC Expert Contributor

I call it as I see it

"build it and they will come"

knock that wall down and open a 1/10 or 1/8 track
Grandmaster G is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:51 AM   #9
Wizard
RCC Pro Contributor

i think trontozees has the right idea,not everyone has the money to afford a 1/10 or 1/8 truck,buggy or car and a mini z pound for pound is faster and more agile than the bigger ones and u can spend 200 bucks and are ready to race.
it doesnt matter the size of the car or truck as long as they are roughly the same speed and size,the racing is just as intence
as for me LONG LIVE TORONTOZEES and i hope they do well,they are a couple of good guys,willing to help anyone in the hobby
I for one am kind of injoying the little guys(mini z)i can run all day for pennys not dollars as with the nitro
and i would like to thank torontozees for a great place to run and hangout,good luck in 2006 guys
Portable Nazcar Track(is here)+ 15 BRP cars
Oshawazees.com

WWW.BRPRACING.COM

OZRACING

D.R.C.R.C
Wizard is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:59 PM   #10
hyper7man

well yes 1/18 scales are popular, but i think its safe to say that if someone has to decide between a 1/18 offroad or a 1/8 or 1/10 offroad, they'll take the bigger scale first. Another good point is that, look how many poeple are in or close to the GTA with offroad rc's 1/10 and bigger, now ur in the thousand range...tell me again how you make money fast? especially if its indoor, then its year round...(if u make an outdoor also)
hyper7man is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in