A few giant scale rigging questions... - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 11:39 AM   #1
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
A few giant scale rigging questions...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have a question for the experienced giant scalers..

Regarding rudder pull-pull links, I was under the assumption that when the tiller/servo arms move, the wires (both) should remain taught throughout the travel. This requires keeping the geometry and distances in check, so to speak, all the offsets of the rudder horns and servo tilller have to reamin equal, as do the length of the wires.

That being said, it takes some time to get it just "right". Is it really a big deal if the wire that isnt "pulling" on the rudder goes slack? The wire in tension is doing all the work, aand since the airload on the rudder is also keeping that working wire tight, it seems that the wire not in tension can go a bit slack without a problem.

I just want some other opinions on this matter.

Thanks!
Andrew
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-04-2003, 12:47 PM   #2
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
I've done lots of pull-pulls on medium size models. It's my opinion that it is good to have both cables taught throughout the range of motion, but I always have the "non-pulling" side "slightly" less taught, so as to prevent excessive wear on all the pivoting parts, which could happen if the cables become tighter as they move from one side to the other.

Ron Mattiuz
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-04-2003, 04:16 PM   #3
KevinPerry
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Kevin P
Radio of choice:
JR 12xMV
# of RCs: 12

It shouldn't matter if the no load wire goes a bit slack. Will prob save wearing your servo out quicker

... Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs..
KevinPerry is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-04-2003, 04:32 PM   #4
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
I have pull/pull on a half dozen 1/4 and 1/3 models.It is best to keep the geometry equal and the easiest way to do that is to mount a bellcrank in the centre of the fuse,at the rear of the wing cavity,and connect each arm to the tiller arms at the rudder with your cables which need to be snug but not tight.You drive the bellcrank with one servo and its position vis a vis the the bellcrank isnt critical.Side benefits of this setup include easier adjustment and centering,and far less wear and impact load on the servo.
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-04-2003, 04:56 PM   #5
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Kevin,
Thats the method I used in both my AC-1 and AC-2 giant scale planes. I made a tiller arm from 1/8" G10 and have it mounted on dual flanged ball bearings, and the rudder servo drives it with a heavy duty pushrod.

In these two planes, I managed to get the pull-pull cables nice and snug throughout the travel.

The reason I posted this question, is that in the Extra I just got I noticed that one wire is going very slack. Nothing against Randy, or the builder, as I am sure it did the trick - just that it kinda' made me a bit nervous. (and I like to make things as good as I can, or maybe I cant leave well enough alone!) So, today I redid the setup just to be safe. The wires are driven by the servo directly. The mount points on the servo tiller had to be moved back about 3/4" just to keep the same geometry in relation to the rudder horns/ rudder hinge line. Now I feel better, but I still am interested to know if some are flying the system with one slack line, without any problem. Didnt take me too long, maybe an hour to fool with it.

Andrew

Old 01-04-2003, 08:55 PM   #6
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Randy Brown

Total Props: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCoholic
Kevin,
Thats the method I used in both my AC-1 and AC-2 giant scale planes. I made a tiller arm from 1/8" G10 and have it mounted on dual flanged ball bearings, and the rudder servo drives it with a heavy duty pushrod.

In these two planes, I managed to get the pull-pull cables nice and snug throughout the travel.

The reason I posted this question, is that in the Extra I just got I noticed that one wire is going very slack. Nothing against Randy, or the builder, as I am sure it did the trick - just that it kinda' made me a bit nervous. (and I like to make things as good as I can, or maybe I cant leave well enough alone!) So, today I redid the setup just to be safe. The wires are driven by the servo directly. The mount points on the servo tiller had to be moved back about 3/4" just to keep the same geometry in relation to the rudder horns/ rudder hinge line. Now I feel better, but I still am interested to know if some are flying the system with one slack line, without any problem. Didnt take me too long, maybe an hour to fool with it.

Andrew
There was nothing wrong with the way it was.. only way that rudder was going to move was if you took a sledge hammer to it

Randy
Old 01-04-2003, 09:13 PM   #7
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

My belief is that the wires should remain somewhat taut throughout the control throw. They don't have to be guitar string tight, but having one go slack may be an invitation to flutter during some flight regimes such as sideslips, snaps or tumbles.

I saw a neat set up today called floating bellcranks...two servos (on independant receivers in this case) hooked via pull pull to a suspendened bellcrank the center of which was in turn hooked via pull-pull to the rudder horns. If one servo fails, the other servo is able to move the rudder for half throw, without fighting against the dead servo...slick as a whistle!

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:02 AM   #8
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
Before I started using the bellcrank setup I installed several pull/pull setups direct from a buried servo to the rudder yoke.There usually was slack in the non pulling line but it didnt seem to make any difference in taxi or flight.These were all sport scale or bipe models so maybe some unwanted characteristics would show up in a high performance model.Come to think of it though, I had an 80" Midwest CAP set up this way with no trouble......
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-05-2003, 01:23 PM   #9
KevinPerry
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Kevin P
Radio of choice:
JR 12xMV
# of RCs: 12

Just a thought here guys .... Why is it that everyone thinks both wires should tight ? Think about it for a sec ....you can not push a flexible wire , only pull ...sooooo it really wont make any diff if it is lose . ....Just an opinion of course . I don't think I have ever seen a pull pull remain completley tight through full travel both ways .

... Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs..
KevinPerry is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-05-2003, 04:27 PM   #10
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

The articles that I have read in RCM and some other of the magazines allways showed how you can keep the geometry correct and both lines will stay snug throughout the travel.

From "simple logic" you would think that the cable pulling the rudder is doing all the work, as the flight load on the rudder is trying to make it go back to the neutral position. BUT If there is any kind of a load to push the rudder further away from the neutral (as may be experienced during a hard snap, maybe in some fast flying where flutter may be introduced.. who knows) there is nothing to hold the rudder from moving outwards more. It probably will never happen, but being I REALLY like this new bird I wanted to make sure.

When I set up my own rudders pull-pull, I allways got the cables to remain snug throughout the travel, by keeping the geometry identical (all offsets, distances from rotation, length and angles of cables, etc). SO it can definitely be done, I just wanted to know from others experience if it was absolutely necessary.

From some of your responses, I guess it isnt as critical as I thought originally.

Andrew

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in