Canadair CL-415 build - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Float Planes Discuss float planes here...or any other aircraft that floats.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #1
Shotgun06
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Alain F

Total Props: 8
Canadair CL-415 build

I had this ARF for a while and it is now time to assemble the thing. I am planning on converting this to electric. Although I generally prefer glow, I think that the reliability of electric will be a desirable feature considering it is a twin and it is a flying boat.

I bought a pair of Aeolian 4260 600kv that I will try to match to scale four blades propelers from FMS. Those props are from the 1400mm FMS P-47. The biggest challenge will be to make the prop hub fit into the 2" spinner and I will have to modify the way the spinner cone is attached to the backplate.

If that all work good, I might consider adding scale retractable gears in the future...

Alain
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yhst-17210252890263_2190_351618832.jpg
Views:	930
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	231255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jan 2014 178.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	804.2 KB
ID:	231256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jan 2014 183.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	670.9 KB
ID:	231257  

Last edited by Shotgun06; 01-20-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Shotgun06 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
pittsflyer111b
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Bob W
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX18QQ

Total Props: 7
Re: Canadair CL-415 build

That should look really good. Can't wait to see the follow up posts.

Bob
pittsflyer111b is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:35 PM   #3
Dangaras
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: A L
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 9

A 42-60-600 will burn up trying to spin those FMS 4-blade props!
Old 01-20-2014, 11:20 PM   #4
Shotgun06
RCC Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangaras View Post
A 42-60-600 will burn up trying to spin those FMS 4-blade props!
I don't know if you checked the specs of those prop or if you are making an informed guess but the stock motor on those FMS plane is a 4250 540kv witch is slightly smaller than my 4260 and the kv is similar...

It all come down now to how many cell this is going to be run with

Alain
Old 01-21-2014, 07:51 AM   #5
Dangaras
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

I have significant experience with the FMS products, they changed motors on the 1400 mm series for a reason! I ran Aeolian 4260-520 with MA 14*8*3 on 5s packs and got perfect performance. My FMS 1400mm corsair ran on the old motor, 4 blade stock prop, 4 cell pack and I was lucky to get 4 minutes. Changed to a kv closer to 400 and flight time changed significantly to 7 minutes easily, all scale flying.

However, if you have all the parts you might as well go ahead and get the experience, you will eventually figure it out.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #6
Shotgun06
RCC Senior Contributor

Well thanks for the info but like you said, now that I have it all, I might as well give it a try. Fortunately, I got a really good deal on the Aeolian and if I cook them, I hope they are going to make a good smoke show

Question about the Aeolian, are they any good or just a piece of Chinese cr_p ?

I was actually considering something around a 5045 500kv initially but was concerned that it might not fit inside the cowlings. Also not planning to use more than 4s as I already got the batteries and I'm not looking for performance here as long as it fly. Really, it's just for look

Alain
Old 01-21-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
Dangaras
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun06 View Post
Well thanks for the info but like you said, now that I have it all, I might as well give it a try. Fortunately, I got a really good deal on the Aeolian and if I cook them, I hope they are going to make a good smoke show

Question about the Aeolian, are they any good or just a piece of Chinese cr_p ?

I was actually considering something around a 5045 500kv initially but was concerned that it might not fit inside the cowlings. Also not planning to use more than 4s as I already got the batteries and I'm not looking for performance here as long as it fly. Really, it's just for look

Alain
Aeolians are great motors! All of the ones I have used are very reliable and put out more drive power than any of the Turning motors. The 50xx series are way to big for your needs.

My A-26 weighed 16+ lbs and was perfectly if not slightly overpowered using these two Aeolians.

With 4s packs your KV will be lower so your motor power should be approx 4/5 of the max rated power (I think the max is 5 cells) but the motors still try to meet max power and will pull more current to compensate for the lower voltage (Power = Voltage * Current)..
Old 01-22-2014, 08:49 AM   #8
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 18

A 5" pitch prop at 10000 RPM would give a theoretical speed of 47 MPH and use a lot less power and a big increase in takeoff and climb performance.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #9
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 18

Those props can suck up a lot of power, direct drive is not the way to go. I would suggest a setup with a reduction drive. A fast turning smaller motor will consume less power. I would pitch the prop to give 40 MPH at 10,000 RPM and get a motor and reduction drive unit that will give this.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:01 AM   #10
Shotgun06
RCC Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip51035 View Post
Those props can suck up a lot of power, direct drive is not the way to go. I would suggest a setup with a reduction drive. A fast turning smaller motor will consume less power. I would pitch the prop to give 40 MPH at 10,000 RPM and get a motor and reduction drive unit that will give this.
Although this might sound like a reasonable idea there are a few problems with reduction drives. First it add to the complexity witch is not desirable, there is also the problem of fitting everything inside the cowling and finally I have no clue where I could find such a thing not mentioning that it would have to be the right size with the proper motor.

And again, I could not care less about ultimate efficiency of the thing, as long as it kindda works I'll be happy

Alain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in