Radian Pro DX8 combo - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Sailplanes / Electro-gliders Discuss quiet flight in Canada.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:22 AM   #1
NAP1947
RCC Apprentice
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Norm P
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 0
Radian Pro DX8 combo

In my previous thread everyone told me the Radian was a better buy for a beginner than the Radian Pro.
To really confuse me I have a chance to get a Radian Pro, DX8 and something calls an Eagle Tree guadian 2d/3d stabilization system at an extremely good price.
Does this make any sense?
NAP1947 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:01 AM   #2
cosmith
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Cory S
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 31
Re: Radian Pro DX8 combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAP1947 View Post
In my previous thread everyone told me the Radian was a better buy for a beginner than the Radian Pro.
To really confuse me I have a chance to get a Radian Pro, DX8 and something calls an Eagle Tree guadian 2d/3d stabilization system at an extremely good price.
Does this make any sense?
Hey Norm!

If you don't already have a good radio this makes perfect sense.

I don't know anything about the the Eagle Tree Guardian, but if it is as simple and effective as the Lemon RX stabilizers I've used then it can certainly make the plane easier to fly, especially in some wind.

I also haven't flown a Radian Pro...but I think the biggest difference to you over the Radian is that it will have ailerons. Sounds like you have a bit of flying experience so in some ways it may be better for you than the Radian. You can get used to left stick rudder control and using ailerons. If it's part of a package that's a great deal I think this is probably a worthwhile compromise...if you have a simulator you can practice a bit of four channel flying if you aren't totally comfortable with it.

All that said, the main reason I think this is a great way to go, is because everybody should get a good radio off the hop IMHO. My understanding is that the DX8 is a great radio...you may not understand some of the programming right now such as dual rates, expo, mixing, throttle curves, etc. but you will want it and need it in the future.

If the price is right, then I say go for it...even if the plane isn't exactly what you want, you're never going to regret getting a good programmable radio. I don't think the Radian Pro has a reputation as being a bad plane, people are just saying the Radian is simpler and some people prefer that. Good luck, and let us know what you do!
cosmith is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:11 AM   #3
michaely
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis, Horus 10x and Aloft Hobbies single stick w/FrSky X10s parts
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 83

Ditto what Cory recommends; you won't regret having a radio you can grow into.

good luck.
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #4
ddruck
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Dan D.
Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

Total Props: 5

Ok here is my 5c on the Radian, I have had both for 4 years, last 2 I flew them in Competition, now I am pasts them but still use on occasion. Following applies to people who are interested in traditional gliders, meaning power to altitude, shut off and glide for the rest of the flight, not sure if this applies to what you want.
To me they both have a place with different purpose. Basic Radian is a great, learning to thermal tool. Popular, easy to setup but due to popularity there is a lot of bad advice on the net, much of it from power pilots who dabble in gliders mostly about the cg position, but that is a different subject. Basic Radian just needs basic radio. Buy it new, not someones mangled mess, it is cheap enough. Put your 1300ma battery as far back as it will go and go fly it as is. Trim it out for nice flat glide and just fly! It thermals very well even if not optimally setup. It will 'hump', as I call it, sometimes in the wind, mostly due to stock CG being too forward and possible tail setting, but it is good enough out of the box to fly. Do mods later when you know what benefits they have. Launch under 3/4 throttle, Radian is not very pleasant to fly with full power until you learn. You can win competitions with Radian if conditions are favorable, there is not much bad to say about the Radian, it just works. There are a couple of minor quality issues, but easily overcome.
Ok now we come to the Pro. It is hated by many, too much for beginners to be really successful, hence cheap price on the market. Its unfortunate legacy is that it was mismarketed by Horizon Hobby.
It will not quite thermal like Radian but can be close, it is much less stable due to flattened dihedral. It is a bit heavier but has the same airfoil as Radian. It will fly better in the wind if flown by competent pilot and it requires a computer radio with sailplane programming if you want the maximum out of it. It will lump along with cheaper radio but will disappoint the owner that way.
It's greatest attribute is however, that it is the cheapest 'trainer' glider to learn to fly and practice for full house competition glider or advanced sport glider. It is the next step up, before full house, like the Mystique or sky is the limit moldies. With good sailplane radios you can setup flight modes, mixes, camber adjustments and develop mussel memory and work all this out on under $200 glider. Much cheaper then making errors on $1500 glider. It also requires much more attention flying but many advance gliders do. Once one learns what is needed it will be quickly surpassed by the advanced gliders and used not so much, the regular Radian, you can always come back to, if you want a low wind floater just to relax on a lazy afternoon.
The guardian is flight stabilization system, great in power planes, I do not think it helps much in a glider, can be a hindrance. I have one for my camera plane works great there.
DX8 as I understand it was not very good Sailplane radio, they fixed it in DX9. I do not have one, so I just see what I read. I love my JR9503, outdated if you want telemetry but excellent as sailplane radio.
Sorry to be long winded, just trying to put more realistic perspective on these gliders from glider only, nowadays , pilot.

Last edited by ddruck; 01-28-2015 at 10:13 AM.
ddruck is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:03 AM   #5
NAP1947
RCC Apprentice
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX8

Thanks guys, definitely going to get the DX8 still undecided on the Pro vs Base but I am leaning toward the Base because of my lack of experience.
I think I understand the bit about flattened dihedral but help me out a bit more here.
Dihedral, I believe, is the upward V where the main wings meet in the centre?
I understand that more dihedral makes more stable flying (good for me) but what about the curve at the ends of the wings, the Pro seems much flatter than the base, is this true, what does that do, or is it just more advance dihedral (now I can spell this I really need to learn how to say it).
Another plus from you folks is the base is cheaper and less complicated for learning to soar which is my long term objective.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:12 AM   #6
ddruck
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Dan D.
Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

Total Props: 5

yes dihedral is the 'v' of the wing, it is not just more stable but allows smooth rudder only turns without the ailerons, Pro is inherently much less stable.
Bottom line start with standard Radian, but there always be a different opinion on that depending on user experiences.

Last edited by ddruck; 01-28-2015 at 12:32 PM.
ddruck is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:15 PM   #7
Skidoo55
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Paul F
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 25+

Total Props: 13

Just my 2 cents worth... go with the pro. I have a Calypso, which is very similar to the Radian Pro. I have never flown a glider, but went ahead and cut in the flaps, and programmed my radio to a full house glider setup. The hardest thing was figuring out how to toggle the motor control on and off. Quite honestly, that was an hour of tinkering in the basement, and was kind of fun and satisfying when I figured it out.

When if came to flying it, it doesn't just float around, and self correct, but it isn't hard either. If you go with the radian pro, you have more options available to figure out programming for a full house wing. Full house is Ailerons and Flaps working together. It's quite interesting because you don't program them to move equal amounts, which is a great learning experience when it comes to programming. Don't deny yourself the challenge of figuring all of that out... get the pro.
Skidoo55 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:48 PM   #8
Cricklewood
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Chris K.

Total Props: 4

Yes, but he may want to walk before he runs. If he hasn't done a lot of flying the Radian is more forgiving and potentially less overwhelming than the Pro. He can always upgrade to a full house glider down the road and if he does he will likely want something more than the Pro. I have the Radian and a number of other RES (Rudder, Elevator, Spoiler) type gliders and am very happy flying them and want to master them before going to a full house glider. No harm in starting simple and growing.
Cricklewood is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:11 PM   #9
Skidoo55
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Paul F
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 25+

Total Props: 13

Yup, I hear ya... I guess the point I was making is that neither are HARD to fly, and the pro gives him more to tinker with. If he doesn't have an issue with buying two planes before he gets into something serious, then by all means get the standard Radian. BUT he has an opportunity to grab a good deal, with a decent radio. Don't shy away from it just because it's a pro version, it will fly at just over a walking speed, and isn't hard to handle. Grab the package that you're looking at, and buy a standard radian as well.
Skidoo55 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:40 PM   #10
NAP1947
RCC Apprentice
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX8

Again, thanks for the thoughts, being retired and on a fixed income I try to spend $$$ once but that does not always make sense and in this case I am really wavering.
I am serious about the Pro package because of the radio but also because the Pro has the stabilization unit in it. Might make sense to get the package and then if it is too much get a base Radian.
Decision time real soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in