Against MAAC FAI funding - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada discussion area.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:37 AM   #1
Cross Check
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dave F

Total Props: 9
Against MAAC FAI funding

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi All,

I have been in this (MAAC) hobby for 50yrs. FF/CL/RC.

I will never be great, (good or average is my goal!

I am curious,

WHY? Not support our best builder/flyer/competitors?

Please give your reasons.

Thanks.

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Cross Check is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:41 AM   #2
aspeed
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: alanf
Radio of choice:
monoline
# of RCs: 50

Total Props: 6
Re: Against MAAC FAI funding

Sorry, can't argue with you there. I was on the FAI team long ago and wouldn't have gone if it wasn't funded. It was so much trouble and money to get competitive equipment that it would be a struggle to get airfare etc. Wintario tickets (Sport Ontario) paid for a good portion, but I believe that doesn't happen any more.
aspeed is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
cf100
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

I am: Ken K.
Radio of choice:
JR & Graupner
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 251

I support competition but would rather chose to have MAAC use my fees to fund their core business IFF, Insurance, Fields, Frequencies.

There is no MAAC fund to help clubs maintain or acquire flying fields, despite this is where the majority of new MAAC members are coming from.

MAAC has changed in the past 50 years, judging by the number of fun flies verses competitions the majority of the members are doing more recreational flying so would it not make sense to promote that area more?

While true 50 years ago, FAI teams may no longer be the best flyers, only ones that chose to go into that area. Top Gun, IMAC flyers are no funded and we seen many excellent flyers and builders at our local fun flies that chose not to go into FAI or not compete but are excellent instructors and club executives, why not support our clubs more?

The amount of annual donations to FAI each year is low this is listed in the MAAC magazine, why are not individual MAAC members donating more?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 donations.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	199501  

Last edited by cf100; 04-14-2013 at 10:19 AM.
cf100 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
Sharpy01
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Marc S

Total Props: 1,395

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
I was on the FAI team long ago and wouldn't have gone if it wasn't funded. It was so much trouble and money to get competitive equipment that it would be a struggle to get airfare etc.
These couple lines sum up a perception that I have issue with.

This notion that someone in this hobby feels some great burden of sacrifice to do what they love to do?

Most members, regardless of their chosen area of interest, have those same difficulties of trying to figure out how to fund better equipment, from the time we start in this hobby till the time we depart...... one way or the other.

We all want the best equipment, motors, servos, radios, retractable landing gear etc, etc, and have to balance what we spend with all the real life issues of putting a roof over our heads, raising kids, putting food on the table, retirement planning etc, etc...........

That said, if you can convince the members and board of the day that you "need" assistance to practice your hobby, I'll accept that if the playing field is level and any member or any event is eligible to receive discretionary funds ............after mandatory expenses, infrastructure and future planning dollars have gone to where they need to be.

Thus the reason for the previous thread to proactively discuss a recommendation to remove barriers and stigmas and maybe put to rest this decades old back and forth that existed long before I was around and will exist long after you and I are gone if we don't find a solution.

Feel free to read and chime in;

https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=196100

Sharpy01 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
aspeed
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
monoline

We had the airfare and accomodation paid. I thought that was great. Now according to the other thread listed it is/should be $2,000. I think that is fair. I understood it was much less than that lately. That would likely cover airfare and maybe some accomodation depending on the country. Years ago the MAAC Magazine was called Competition Canada. Things have changed.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
Sharpy01
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Marc S

Total Props: 1,395

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
years ago the maac magazine was called competition canada. Things have changed.
..ding!..ding!..ding!..ding!..ding!..ding!
Sharpy01 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
Patch
RCC Contributor

I am: Jason H

Total Props: 1

That's a good question Cross Check, and I also have some of my own questions.

I don't believe I should automatically be expected to pay for something I don't want to pay for. That goes for taxes as well, but at least I get something back for my taxes.

I get nothing out of it, why should I be expected to pay for it? What does it do for me?

the best hockey, baseball, golf, tennis, race car drivers, etc have sponsors, not members of a club paying for it, why should our club pay for it? little league doesn't pay a cent to the worlds.

When we needed money in minor hockey or baseball, or even boy scouts, we had fund raisers. If you want to do it, pay for it or get someone that thinks you are good enough at it that they will pay you to put their name on your airplane.

In theory, everything works.
Patch is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
Patch
RCC Contributor

I am: Jason H

Total Props: 1

Davy Crockett - Not Yours to Give

In theory, everything works.

Last edited by Patch; 04-16-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Patch is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
aspeed
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
monoline

Insurance is only a small part of the MAAC dues, The magazine and wages and archives and all the other fees are part of the costs. Many people would just like the insurance to fly at their club field and skip the magazine, FAI funding etc. That is just how the cookie crumbles. I guess that is what the voted people are representing, the majority decisions. Personally I would rather pay $10 to go in the club field. But I enjoy reading the magazine and don't mind all the other stuff. Without the mag. it would be hard to find out about events and stuff. Some teams do have fundraisers and sponsers.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #10
Cross Check
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dave F

Total Props: 9

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies! Keep them coming...

Anyone know of other FAI competing countries that do not help fund their competitors?

Thanks for the Davey Crockett history Patch, but, was he (and his friends) not 'competing' with other countries at the time?

Cheers my friends...

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Cross Check is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in