Screw Jack Landing Gear - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:41 AM   #1
LuvEvolution7
RCC Contributor

I am: Rich H

Total Props: 2
Screw Jack Landing Gear

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
this thread is started for anyone interested in learning how to make your own screw jack driven landing gear. anyone and everyone is welcome to provide anything they've built or ideas they have to share.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:54 AM   #2
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8
Re: Screw Jack Landing Gear

I built a set of scratchbuilt retracts for a 1/4 scale Focke wulf 190 D9. None of the commercial ones were close to scale. Very long legs with auto type coil springs on the outside. Legs are pultruded (,a wrap of carbon fibre around the outside), carbon fibre tube, very strong. The drives come from the planetary gearbox in those cheap electronic screwdrivers from CTC. The wheels on the FW are relatively large and thin as the wing on the full size FW is fairly thin. These are from the front wheels of a wheelchair from the old lady next door. Hope she doesn't miss them. A small lath and milling machine is handy but not necessary. I have a small Toyo lathe with a milling machine mounted on the back.
Here are some pics I took with a poor camera about 10 or 15 yrs ago when I built these. I'll take some better ones when I dimantle one to take more detailed pics.
In the meantime, any questions i'll be glad to answer.

Gord.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000011.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	76156   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000012a.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	76157   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000015.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	76158   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000014.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	76159  

Last edited by Flypaper; 04-29-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:52 AM   #3
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34

Can you explain where you got the screw jack mechanism and it's operation? I'm presently building a PBY Catalina and trying to figure out how to retract the wing tip floats. A screw jack may be the answer.

Last edited by Mike Sebastien; 04-30-2010 at 05:58 AM.
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:20 AM   #4
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

The screwjack is made from 1/4 in. threaded rod using a slot cut with a hacksaw in the planetary drive output shaft and a 1/16 piano wire pressed crossways into a hole at the end of the threaded rod. Sort of a poormans universal joint. The brass piece in the 3rd pic is the moveable piece that lifts the gear up and down. The micro switches on top are hit by the brass piece to shut the motor off at the end of the travel. CTC has an electric screwdriver on sale now for under 10 bucks. The one that the head swivels about 45 degrees. Don't know what the drive is like, but I bought one to screw the wings on and off my planes out at the field. Lazy or what I'll take it apart to see if it's suitable. Best one are plastic case like the one shown above as the metal ones are fairly heavy. I'll take one apart to give a better idea of the slot and pin drive. The drive I bought back then had 2 pencells for power, so 3 volts. More than enough power because of the low reduction ratio. Very scale retract speed. Will do about 10 cycles before a recharge.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:28 AM   #5

Total Props: 57

In building the screw jack landing gear some things to consider.

Advantages are a naturally slow motion and if the landing gear operate at differing speeds that is easy to do via resistors. Electric motors for activation are cheap I used older brushed motors for electric flight with a gear box and rather than use a universal joint I used a spur and pinion gear from an RC car set up. I also used a 5/16 national fine thread and turned the threaded rod into the landing gear leg to keep the size of the unit as small as possible when retracted. Tried it using a turning nut like a lead screw but the threaded shaft would stick out to far when retracted. The best advantage is there is no need for any type of lock to hold the position of the landing gear. In fact on large gear if you get your finger or any part of your body in the way its going to hurt.

The only real disadvantage is in the case of a rough landing and bent gear you will not be able to straighten the threaded shaft so make a few extra in case. I ordered a couple of lengths of stainless fine threaded rods for corrosion resistance and a little extra strength.

I am in Texas at the moment I think I may have a proto type steerable nose gear I built for a giant scale CL215 that had a water proof wheel well it retracted into. I will have to look and see when I get home.

Dennis
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
Mike Emilio
RCC Pro Contributor

Total Props: 0

Hank Likes screwjack retracts.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...9/ai_n8979143/

Likes Line, 1601 Airport Dr.,
Mechanicsburg, PA 17055;
(717) 732-0636
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hank Likes screwjack retracts.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	76167  
Mike Emilio is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:37 AM   #7
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Emilio View Post
Hank Likes screwjack retracts.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...9/ai_n8979143/

Likes Line, 1601 Airport Dr.,
Mechanicsburg, PA 17055;
(717) 732-0636
Is this guy still in business? from the link your provided it shows a link to the website, but I get "error 404- page not found" I see that the original article was written in 2001. Nice retracts if you can still get them!
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:24 AM   #8

Total Props: 57

Probably the all out best electric retract manufacturer

http://www.unitracts.co.uk/
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
LuvEvolution7
RCC Contributor

I am: Rich H

Total Props: 2

Gord

that's awesome. very nice design and not too expensive. the way you have that set up is exactly what I had in mind.............using two micro switches to determine end points. simple and effective. my problem is my brain is sometimes better than my skillset. LOL. in this case, my brain thought of the idea you have utilized, but seeing it in practice makes it easier to copy for my application. then there's wiring......now that's gonna ba an adventure. LOL.

Like's retracts are and are not still available. I have spoken to him on the phone within the last year and he'll still do gear for you, but his company is no longer in business. at least that's the last I heard. too bad cause it's good gear, but not cheap.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:12 PM   #10
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I just took one out of the wing and am about to break it down to parts. Being electrically unendowed my buddy made me a diagram for the wiring, where when one switch shuts off, it arms the other one. If I get close to a house electric outlet I get a shock When I worked for a marina and doing the timing on a 6 cyl Merc outboard, I had to stand on a stool to get the timing light to the flywheel. Pulled the trigger on the timing light and woke up on the floor due to a 40,000 volt jolt. Went through the timing light handle. Maybe it jolted something between my ears. Soon as I get it tore down I'll put up more detailed pics.

Gord.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in