New to the world of Nitro and need HELP! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Nitro, Gas, Lipo chat (RC Car & Truck) All things related to Nitro, Electric & Gas motors... Tuning, experiences, setups and more.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:32 PM   #1
Sago
RCC Noob

I am: Berk S.
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0
New to the world of Nitro and need HELP!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey people. I haven't been into Nitro RCS since I was a kid. A friend of mine gave me 3 Nitro trucks that are in bad shape and neglect. One of them is FUBARed but one of them I am trying to get to working condition.

It's a Traxxas of a kind I am not sure exactly but it's either a Revo 2.5 or a Slayer 4x4.
I will have a picture down below.

So I've got the receiver and transmitter working and as far as I can tell all the servos seem to be in good working order.

I was also given some fuel but no glow plug igniter. I rigged up a spare 7.2V 1500mah batter and hooked it up to the glow plug and grounded it on the bottom of the chasis and I could not get it to work. Outside of the engine I tested the 3 glow plugs I had and all 3 of them ignited for a second and no more.

Also the engine doesn't have a proper air filter and when I primed the engine I noticed that the fuel didn't stay in the line but receded back to the tank.

I apritiate any and all help.

Thanks alot in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160701_092919_1467426725832.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	733.2 KB
ID:	993593  
Sago is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:11 AM   #2
floyd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 87
Re: New to the world of Nitro and need HELP!

I don't know much about engines in cars or trucks but most glow engines only take 1.5 volts on the glow plug. Any higher and it burns out the plug. If the carb needle is open too much or not enough the fuel may go back down the line. Or the lines could be reversed. Cheers Floyd
floyd is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:56 AM   #3
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth Taranis X9D+ DX3S
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sago View Post
....7.2V....
Yup, as Floyd said, you burned out all your glo plugs.

As far as the fuel going back to the tank, maybe it just will not stay in the line until you get the engine running a bit and all the air pockets pushed through the line.

Can you google up any manual for the engine to see what basic settings are for needle valves?

How old is the fuel? Could it have sat around and absorbed water?

PM me your address and if the Post Office does not go on strike I can send you a Glo Igniter I don't use that I inherited in a goodie box.
Weather Station

Last edited by davidmc36; 07-02-2016 at 06:04 AM.
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:00 AM   #4
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101

I too have to agree. A standard portable glow starter uses a single 1.5V NiCad or NiMH battery.

There is another thing you will likely run into. I find with most cases where an engine has been first run after mounting from the box, replacement of parts or even after long storage: The internal bits will need to seat in and that means microscopic particles of metal wear off as everything seats, (again). Those bits impinge on the glow wire and can damage the filament, compromise how it catalyzes the fuel or destroy it completely. Vibrations can do the same.

What this means is you are very likely to wipe out at least one glow plug during that time so best keep extras. If you find it difficult to start later or finicky to tune then you should pull the plug and replace it. It may heat with the battery, but will die immediately when that heat is removed.

On that note, it would be a good idea to pull the fuel tank and remove the internals for cleaning. Old fuel can congeal and harden.

Same thing with the carb needle. Most often I find bits of dried lube or foreign matter plugging the fuel inlet fitting or spray bar. An easy check is to at least remove the High Speed needle near it and flush the system with fresh fuel.

Last edited by Cougar429; 07-02-2016 at 06:08 AM.
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:07 AM   #5
Sago
RCC Noob

Morning guys. Thanks so much for the helps so far.
So I added a few more pics. The last one is of the 3.3 engine with EZ start, I do not have the wand for the EZ Start but I will be ordering parts online later next week. I was thinking of pulling the EZ start from the 3.3 and installing it on the 2.5, any toughts?

As for the engine specs I am confident it's a Traxxas 2.5 found in the Revo but not a 100%, still waiting on traxxas customer service to get back to me.

And yes the fuel I have is old, but it looks to be in proper form, not sure how long nitro fuel is spose to last.

I plan on taking apart and cleaning most of the parts, but like I said I won't be ordering parts until next week.

Any of your suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks again

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160702_093527_1467467321382.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	354.5 KB
ID:	994001   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160702_093309_1467467353802.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	304.7 KB
ID:	994009   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160630_225242_1467467400547.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	994025  
Old 07-02-2016, 01:35 PM   #6
Sago
RCC Noob

Haven't cleaned the exhaust yet, but the seals are all busted. It's a LogicsRD exhaust, any idea where I would be able to find new seals for it?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160702_141349_1467484405752.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	685.0 KB
ID:	994273  
Old 08-24-2016, 06:29 PM   #7
Hubert 1
RCC Contributor

I am: Hubert F
Radio of choice:
Horus x10s express
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 1

Nitro fuel lasts some time, but it has to be stored properly. If it was open, or left in a garage, it is likely bad.

Taking everything apart is not a bad idea, that way you will get to see if anything is broken, and will be more familiar with your trucks. You couds also take the carb off and clean it. If it has dirt inside it, then there is likely dirt inside the engine. If the carb is clean, I wouldn't pull the engine apart.
Hubert 1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in