Do you guys fly Futaba or Spectrum? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Old 09-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
Pepperpete
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Glenn M

Total Props: 2
Do you guys fly Futaba or Spectrum?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well yet again after reading about problems with the Spectrum systems, I am kind of re-evaluating my radio choice. If I had just heard one complaint I would have ignored it. But it's been plenty.

So if you guys don't mind, can you post what you are using for your jets? I figure when you invest what we invest, it can't hurt to go with the majority. Anyone ever had problems with their spectrum setups?

I must have flown a zillion times (give or take) without any issues so I am hesitant to change. But let's hear it...

(By the way I realize there are posts on RC Groups etc about this but frankly that place has turned into garbage, I would rather hear from people I trust)
Member #4 of the 2 litre club! And proud of it.
Pepperpete is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
Alex29
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Alexandre G
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16

Total Props: 1
Re: Do you guys fly Futaba or Spectrum?

I will never fly expensive system with Spectrum. This system was released to the public before being ready, 1 receiver, then 2,3,4, then receiver for carbon fiber etc....

Futaba was using the technologie more than 10 years ago in industrial application before release to the rc market. I have seen myself 3 crashes with spectrum receiver lockup!

Never any glitch with my Futaba system in 2 years, i own an 12FG , i'm now equipped with the serial bus system witch is far in advance from any mfg...

The only issue you will heard with futaba, a few guys experienced receiver shutting down on the ground because of too hot in the canopy in the sun, futaba released a less heat sensitive receiver a few month later...
Old 09-10-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Michel G

Total Props: 12

Hi

2 Cents

Always follow the one,s that are flying , not the one,s that talk about the flying .

Michel
ARF P-51 40 TF-P51 Giant KIT
TopFite P-51 Giant ARF X 3
Hanger 9 SpitFire 60 ARF X2
TopFlite Elder-40 ( on the board )
Aero Works 540 T -60
The Ground came up and hit my plane
michel gravelle is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #4

Total Props: 57

I fly JR/Spektrum. My BVM Kingcat has a Spektrum AR9000 with only one satellite receiver, never so much as a glitch.
I have an AR9000 with one satellite in my Raptor as well, same thing, never a glitch.
I have a JR 1221 in my Firebird which was in my Super Bandit originally as well.
I think 99% of the spektrum problems you read about are user issues. While the Futaba might be more user friendly in terms of binding or whatever, I don't think Spektrum has issues.
After past (pre 2.4) Futaba experiences, I wouldn't put Futaba in anything I own. It's all personal preference, but I wouldn't be worried about JR/Spektrum. I do run redundant battery systems in everything though.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #5
vasy
RCC Contributor

I am: Igor S
Radio of choice:
Jr X9303
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 0

Everyone in the field who flies $$$ models flies Fubaba.
2 guys happen to have both Spectrum and Futaba and everyone lost planes for unknown reasons with Spectrum. An yes, the guys who did have "masters" tittle in local competitions so they know how to fly.
Also just so happened that out of 10 owners 9 had to replace Spectrum radios due to mechanical failures in the radio itself (dx 6i).
vasy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #6
VA6WGO
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Will
Radio of choice:
Futaba 32MZ
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 15

I like Futaba my self. I have used Futaba systems in my giant scale airplanes and I have never had a glitch.

Just my own experience.

Futaba 14MZ & 6008HS receivers!

Cheers,

Will
Falcon Props
VA6WGO is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
kev-o
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Kevin f
Radio of choice:
Spektrum /Vcontrol

Total Props: 13

i have no experience with futaba fasst system but do have with 72mg i have bounced back and forth with jr?futaba over the years 9Z?10x etc.. and keep comng back to jr i have never had an issue with iether but like the jr ease of programming.. if you follw the rules with iether they will both work futaba doesnt like heat jr has to wait momentarily to bind correctly.. and yes i have been flying along time and have made that mistake and lost an aircraft so wether your a master or not your human and can and will screw up once in awhile... stick with what you like?have and follw your procedures and you will be fine... for instance if you change atvs or similar with jr and dont rebind you may have a loss of signal and lockout (not jrs fault you didnt rebind) most if not all would blame a loss of an aircraft on jr but its pilot error..... very few people will admit to screwing up and point the finger at the manufacturers... ive been in this since 76 and have some seen my share of bonehead mistakes and instantly the finger is pointed at the brand of radio etc....

glen be carefull what you read and like i said before on turbine choices stick with what you know or what your peers know that you fly with we fly both at princeton .. you will get better help that way as well

Kev-o
MA XLPRO2K Long live the flybar
kev-o is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #8
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

First of all can we please use the correct name? It's Spektrum, not spectrum.

Second, every manufacturer has had issues with something or other in their history, no one has ever been perfect.

The statement "everyone lost planes for unknown reasons with spektrum" is a bit of an over statement. Do you know "everyone"? You don't know me and I've never had a problem with Spektrum. Never had a problem with my Futaba 9C either but that doesn't prove anything either way.

Again the statement "9 out of 10 owners had to replace Spektrum radios" is a bit of an overstatement don't you think? If you want to have your opinion taken seriously then speak of what YOU know, not what you've heard or what you think.... It's hard to take the opinion of someone seriously when all you do is spout like a fanboy.
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #9
kev-o
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Kevin f
Radio of choice:
Spektrum /Vcontrol

Total Props: 13

not may turbine pilots use a dx6i iether

again glenn what you have is fine dont sweat it spend the money on kero and get more comfortable flying thats what will make the differance..

not sure why but the bottom of a kero jug allways feels better than the top?

my 0.02 cts

kev-o
MA XLPRO2K Long live the flybar
kev-o is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
d_orgera
RCC Contributor

I am: Den O.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14SG, 7C

Total Props: 4

I work in telecommunications and I've stated since day-one that DSM is antiquated technology which is ok for wireless routers in a cheap home LAN, but is not robust enough for the RC world. Spektrum launched with this technology because it was cheap, not because it was the right way to go. They circumvented it's shortcomings by adding multiple receivers, but the system still relies on two fixed channels. Once Canada reaches Europe and Australia in the their immense use of wireless microwave technology, you'll find that DMS must disappear from RC.

You DSM users are OK for now because North America is still relying on an antique copper cable infrastructure for it's telecom needs, whereas Europe is at least 10 years ahead of us with fibre in the homes and a robust wireless telecom network of vast density....Hence, DSM for RC has already been outlawed in a couple of European countries.

I don't own any jets, but I have four 50cc gassers and two 600-sized Helis which are pricey enough for my liking....I use an inexpensive Futaba 7C 2.4 GHz system...I would take almost any FHSS-type system over DSM.

Den

Last edited by d_orgera; 09-10-2010 at 08:21 PM.
d_orgera is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in