footsy
RCC Apprentice

I am: Chris F
Radio of choice:
Frsky Taranis
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 4
flying in national parks

I live in Banff and have been flying for 10 months averaging 3 to 4 days of flying per week. Now there is a warden on my ass. His argument is that aircraft can't take off or land in the park. I'm pretty sure that nobody has been charged for flying Rc in a national park before. Does anyone have any experiences with wardens in parks?
footsy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:31 AM   #2
Trumpetman
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 126
Re: flying in national parks

Sound like the typical wanna-be cop. Have there been complaints? Have you been buzzing the wildlife? No? Oh, but the rule book says no "aircraft in the park" - I would ask him to show you the rule that relates to models! In the long run though you might just have to drive over to the Canmore area to fly!
Old 06-05-2013, 02:42 AM   #3
footsy
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Frsky Taranis

No complaints, never close to wildlife. The problem is that an aircraft is defined as any machine that delivers support by interactions with the atmosphere. This would include kites (which the Taliban banned), paper aeroplanes, frisbees, maybe even flags. Furthermore, the law is only about 10 years old and there was a lot of controversy but models and kites were not included in the discussion.

I feel like a rebel RC geek. People love to watch me fly too
Old 06-09-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
footsy
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Frsky Taranis

Wannabe cop is right. He took parks Canada to court so that he could carry a hand gun. It really embarrassed other wardens. I've been flying lots still but not in the same spot.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:01 AM   #5
RCcanuck
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: John M
Radio of choice:
ix12,DX9
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 14

Does anyone have any experiences with wardens in parks?

Yes!!! A crisp 100 dollar bill will fix everything.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:41 AM   #6
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34

I sympathize with you but a whole different set of rules cut in on Crown Property. The warden has a boss I suggest you talk to him, but I think you are screwed.
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #7
IAN GUNN
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Ian G

Total Props: 1

There is a federal law protecting parks from aircraft flying over parks and historic sites.We were looking at a slope site some years back and even though we are only smal models as compared to full size aircraft,they,at that time,viewed us as aircraft. So,the warden is correct but maybe a chat with his boss,as Mike suggested, could make a difference. Can't hurt.
Ian G
IAN GUNN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

So what is Mr. Warden going to do when there is an accident and a medi-heli is called in?

Run through the landing spot flailing his arms to wave off the copter? Tell the injured person "Sorry, no aircraft allowed. You gotta walk yourself out of here...and I dont care if you got 2 busted legs!" ??

Sounds to me like you have an egotistical bully-bastard on your hands. There is no fix for that. Even if you are right and have the proof, you still wont convince him. You will always be wrong.

My best advice: fly somewhere else.

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #9
Wizzard
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Wayne S.

Total Props: 6

Contact someone higher up, I would go past his boss as the 2 of them can always twist things. I know a couple of guys who have run into the same issue with their planes and hexacopters, were told no R/C stuff of an kind in our National parks. Get something in writing from someone, this way you can show him and not much he can do really.
Wizzard is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
1THEPALMER
RCC Contributor

I am: fred f

Total Props: 2

My club Burlington Radio Control Modelers http://www.brcm.org/
Has one field located in Bronte Provincial Park, yes not a national park but as suggested go to the local parks canada office and speak politely to at least an area supervisor. Show him or her my club website note the arrangement for the Bronte field is going on ten years now.
Be nice, cover safety and make the point you are engaged in a recreational activity. Ask for provisional permission to continue with a time frame for follow up.
This is how we started @ Bronte with a one off event, then a temporary location for one year, an extension for another flying season, Then a move to a better location with a new multi year agreement that has continued. Parks people like lots of feedback so if you can go to the first meeting with a couple of letters from nonflying friends or spectators covering how much they enjoy your responsible safe flying it will not hurt your case.
1THEPALMER is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in