Want to fly Multis for Commercial Purposes? READ THIS - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Multi Rotor Discussion Tri's, Quad's, Hex'as and more. Discuss anything multi-rotor, including multi-rotor stabilization and FPV setups.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
fear4fun
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

I am: Duane C.
Radio of choice:
DX8
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0
Want to fly Multis for Commercial Purposes? READ THIS

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Out of curiosity, how many forum visiters are flying their multi's to make an income?

If you are, are you obtaining the proper Transport Canada paperwork and permits to be legally covered in the case of an accident?

We should be advocates for the industry by sharing the information and making sure that our peers and competition are getting the right coverage before something terrible happens and locks down what we do!!

Last edited by Max; 05-09-2014 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Title Change so that it can be stickied
fear4fun is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
Mark L @ FL

Re: Commercial Flying

Here is the relevant Transport Canada info for those looking:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviatio...i-uav-2265.htm
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
menace
RCC Apprentice

I am: Stuart H
Radio of choice:
Turnigy 9x (er9x)
# of RCs: 5+

Interesting--wonder what the insurance requirement is? wonder how many paying jobs you would need to get just to pay that and is there a licensing fee on top? I'm sure they would take a cut through transport canada fees as well
menace is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
Mark L @ FL

The other option is to injure someone or property and be sued and lose your home. It is like any business activity, certain regulations and requirements apply.

Don't believe there is any fees from TC or other licensing fees.
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
fear4fun
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

Radio of choice:
DX8

There are no fees for the permits from ToC. SHOCK!! The only thing that may end up costing money is the need for a two-way radio and radio license if you are operating within a designated area of an airport. For me, my local airport has a 5 mile radius and if I'm flying with in that area, I need to be in contact with the tower via handheld.

I spoke to my insurance agent last week who is putting together some information for my business plan. In his estimation my anual insurance will be $2500 protecting my gear from theft/damage and protecting me from any liabilities.

That is a small anual fee when the planned octo and additional gear is worth 10 times that!!
Old 07-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
buffythesaint
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Buffy

Total Props: 15

You probably could reduce your premium with just property damage and public liability. Insuring your rig could be costly after the first crash. You will be out the deductable and then an increase in premiums after your first claim. If you build correctly, do regular maintenance, replace parts before failure, a crash scenario would be reduced. Flying an Octo would help also, when loss of motor or prop. If you keep your flying close, LOS, it will be easier to get the SFOC, not a UAV then. You just need to worry about peoples saftey. No one under the multi during filming, crowd control, that sort of thing. It can be done legally, just getting everything in order for the first time will be the hardest. Once you have received your first SFOC, the process should go smoother the next time.
buffythesaint is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
Naterpin
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Nathen

I wonder how this will apply to Police, Fire and Search and Rescue. They would need some sort of "Annual" SFOC.
Naterpin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
fear4fun
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

Radio of choice:
DX8

First off, it isn't an annual SFOC, it is per flight. Once you establish a relationship with ToC you can get a blanket permit which gives you the means to skip the 'application' process and simply send in the info regarding your next flight, but even that requires 48 hours notice.

In terms of emergency use, of course they won't require to apply for a permit. In the same way a medivac helicopter doesn't need to notify ToC to land on the freeway to airlift out a car accident victim. I'm alright with emergency services not needing to go through the same process as the rest of us.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
Naterpin
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Nathen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fear4fun View Post
First off, it isn't an annual SFOC, it is per flight. Once you establish a relationship with ToC you can get a blanket permit which gives you the means to skip the 'application' process and simply send in the info regarding your next flight, but even that requires 48 hours notice.

In terms of emergency use, of course they won't require to apply for a permit. In the same way a medivac helicopter doesn't need to notify ToC to land on the freeway to airlift out a car accident victim. I'm alright with emergency services not needing to go through the same process as the rest of us.
I like the term "blanket Permit" better then "annual permit"
Naterpin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:20 AM   #10
mikefly12
RCC Noob

I am: Mike
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 12

From my experience with Transport Canada it is kind of how you interpret their information. With your first SFOC application, they are giving approval of your UAV and your first requested flight. The following requests are much faster because they are not approving the UAV but just the details of the requested flight. However if you use a different UAV or dramatically change your setup, your next approval will take longer as they have to review and approve the UAV again and approve it for flight.

When I was talking with the folks from TOC, they said the first application could take up to 30 days but the following request would take about 48-72 hours, as long as the UAV setup is the same from the previous request.

Just in case anyone is looking for insurance companies that provide UAV liability insurance. Both if these companies have experience providing UAV liability insurance that is required for a SFOC with TOC.

www.capri.ca in BC

www.fraserhoyt.com in Nova Scotia

Cheers
Mike
mikefly12 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in