New Gas Engine on the market. Playing field leveler - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 03-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
OntAeronut
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Carl F
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 8+

Total Props: 10
New Gas Engine on the market. Playing field leveler

Hey folks, a buddy of mine told me about this engine, I was shocked, so I went searching. This is what I found. This may be a game changer ... a 9cc gas engine. Thats right I said 9cc.

The new NGH GT-9 is ideal for 0.40-0.56 airplanes!

Specifications:
Engine Type - Gasoline Two-stroke, Air Cooled, Rotary Valve
Cylinder Type - Precision Steel Sleeve
Cylinders - Single
Crank Type - Forged Dual Ball Bearing Support
Mounting Type - Beam or Rail Mount
Carburetor Type - NGH Proprietary Micro
Carburetor Mounting - Front
Crankshaft Threads -1/4"- 28 TPI
Mounting Dimensions - Owners Manual or Website
Ignition: RCEXL 1/4-32 90 Degree Single Cylinder
Spark Plug Type - 1/4" X 32 TPI
Displacement - 9.07 cc
Bore - 23.35 mm
Stroke - 21.2 mm
Engine+ Muffler+ Ignition (Total Weight) = 1 lb. 3 oz. (545 g)
Prop Range - 10 X 6 to 12 X 6
RPM Range - 2600-15000
Fuel - Unleaded Gasoline With High-Quality Two-Cycle Oil, Pre- Mixed
Pre-Mix Oil Ratio and Type - Synthetic Break-in with 20:1, General 25:1, for Air Cooled Engines

$199.99

Don't know about the rest of you, but I am thinking about getting one.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
mikecoul
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Mike C
Radio of choice:
Hot Rock
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 7
Re: New Gas Engine on the market. Playing field leveler

You mean this one Carl?
http://www.himodel.com/engines/NGH_9...plane_GT9.html

MAAC 44905
mikecoul is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
DO335
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 6

You guys are too young to remember the days when model engines all ran on gasoline, even the small ones much smaller than 9cc.

Then glow became the Next Big Thing. There was reduced complexity, greater power output and all the usuall things that everyone is looking for with no disadvantages.

Now the penduluim is swinging back to gasoline with all the same claimed attributes.

Yawn.

And all from the Far East no less, where everyone and his brother claims to be a new engine manufacturer by simply buying up a bunch of parts production of unkonwn and care less grade and slapping them together into the latest, greatest new engine offering. Precision (as you list in the specs) and certain Far East assembly rarely go in the same sentence.

Anyway, as for a gasoline small displacemnt engine made to current methods, Fox (made in USA) did that several years ago:

http://www.foxmanufacturing.com/inde...oducts_id=1519

So why not pick up one of these new 9cc mills, give it what for and see how it works out? It may turn out to be great. Mind you, having done that myself with one of the first ASP 40s that came out in the 1980s, I would not anticipate too much. Just take it as it is.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
SpaceCowboy
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

I am: Mike B.
Radio of choice:
FAVOURITE - JR X9303
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 2
Thumbs up Re: New Gas Engine on the market. Playing field leveler

Thanks for that link to FOX. I didn't even know they had a small gas engine out. Too bad they do not show any specs. I can't buy anything without knowing the specs.

BTW Aircraft Modellers Research in Quebec handles the NGH line. They show specs too.
SpaceCowboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #5

Total Props: 57

For me, having a well built, reliable gas engine is the way to go. I am 120 miles away from the closest place to buy glow fuel. His price is $7.00/gal higher than the hobby stores in Edmonton. With gas prices rising (presently $1.23/l) travelling just to buy glow fuel is out of the question. The only way a hobby shop will ship glow fuel is via courier. Couriers won't deliver to a farm address, and they require an additional $40.00 sur-charge for Hazmat.

Gas and diesel fuel are one of my largest business expenses every year, so we always have plenty around. I say "lets go" to anyone who wants to manufacture a real good small gas engine, I'm in the market.

I guess I should have added ther word "Affordable". The Fox engine seems just a bit pricey, for my budget.

Last edited by Guest; 03-18-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:57 AM   #6
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

If anyone buys this engine, please keep us posted! Same as What Tree, I'm 2+ hours from a place to buy glow fuel.

Saito's .82 gas engine has me interested too!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
OntAeronut
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Carl F
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 8+

Total Props: 10

I am with you guys, I am 2/ 1/2 hours from a hobbystore that has glow fuel, so gas would be a better idea for me. Specially when the hobby stores have their prices marked up at least 30%... then they wonder why they have no customers and no one wants to deal with them...

Anyhoo

We do have someone at our club that has this new 9cc RGH gasser, so I will try and find out how it works and such. I am curious about only having .8 of a horse and swinging a 10/6 prop at 15000 rpm... sounds a bit gutless to me, but only time will tell.

I am patently waiting for the day DLE comes out with a 15cc and maybe a 10cc... whooohoooo
Old 03-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #8
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

I've had the old "well just get a big gasser if you want to burn gas" thrown at me a few times when discussing small gas engines. Ya, ok, so they run cheap but what about:
#1 a bigger shop to build & store them in,
#2 greater cost of building the plane
#3 bigger servos & batteries,
#4 larger truck to pull the trailer at 10 mpg to go to the field,
#5 can't be flown just anywhere.
The costs just keep going up and up! Sure we all want the big iron but the .40 size are so much more practical.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #9
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post21080034
Here's a thread on RC Groups on that motor.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:46 AM   #10
chuebner
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Curt H
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Tree View Post
For me, having a well built, reliable gas engine is the way to go. I am 120 miles away from the closest place to buy glow fuel. His price is $7.00/gal higher than the hobby stores in Edmonton. With gas prices rising (presently $1.23/l) travelling just to buy glow fuel is out of the question. The only way a hobby shop will ship glow fuel is via courier. Couriers won't deliver to a farm address, and they require an additional $40.00 sur-charge for Hazmat.

Gas and diesel fuel are one of my largest business expenses every year, so we always have plenty around. I say "lets go" to anyone who wants to manufacture a real good small gas engine, I'm in the market.

I guess I should have added ther word "Affordable". The Fox engine seems just a bit pricey, for my budget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK View Post
If anyone buys this engine, please keep us posted! Same as What Tree, I'm 2+ hours from a place to buy glow fuel.

Saito's .82 gas engine has me interested too!
I will be sticking to glow for all my planes as they are just simple to operate and maintain. I only fly 40 - 120 size so for me its a no brainer. I hate working on gas carbs! When I buy glow fuel, I get a couple years supply at once and always have it on stock, so I never run out!

[QUOTE=OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK;929329]I've had the old "well just get a big gasser if you want to burn gas" thrown at me a few times when discussing small gas engines. Ya, ok, so they run cheap but what about:
#1 a bigger shop to build & store them in,
#2 greater cost of building the plane
#3 bigger servos & batteries,
#4 larger truck to pull the trailer at 10 mpg to go to the field,
#5 can't be flown just anywhere.
The costs just keep going up and up! Sure we all want the big iron but the .40 size are so much more practical.[/
QUOTE]

I am with you on that.....would be nice to have the big stuff, and for that, gas would be the way to go, but I only fly 40 - 120 size nitros and a few small lekkies and I can haul them around no problem.
When I get together to fly with someone, it is usually a 100+ mile haul for me so I like to take multiple airplanes.....40 - 120 size just fits the bill, easy too haul, store, maintain and works well within my budget......glow fuel included!

I fly Hitec, why...... because I wanna!!

Forum Rules Link
https://www.rccanada.ca/site-rules.pdf
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in