thepope
RCC Apprentice

I am: Bill P
Radio of choice:
airtronics
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 0
balancing props?

I find balancing props to be not only time consuming but an extremely boring part of this hobby. Does anyone make props that are factory balanced and ready to use? I wouldn't mind paying a few dollars extra for this service. Any ideas?
Bill
Old 04-30-2003, 06:10 AM   #2
Nuker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

What type of props do you use? I think out of all the < 15" APC props I've found only one has ever been really out of balance.

That being said, most of the Master Airscrew props I've checked have needed some adjustments.

Please keep in mind that this is only in my experience and I just check them out of habit when I buy them.

Bob

ps How many props do you go through anyway?
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-30-2003, 06:57 AM   #3
JimMcIntyre
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
JR/Spectrum
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
Same experience with APC props, most are close enough that a gentle shaving of the backside of the blade is enough.

Master Airscrew make several models, while it's true that their bottom of the line model lacks balance (and often has extra material left from the mould), their scimitar series seem quite good.
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:39 AM   #4
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
Because it is time consuming, manufacturers (most) do not do it perfectly - would you want to pay for the extra labour? Most wouldnt.

I know Bolly carbon props are available (or at least were when I bought mine last year) in a balanced and unbalanced form. It was like an extra $10 or $15 for the balanced ones.

Find a friend that happens to like balancing props and get him/her to do it!
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:43 AM   #5
JimMcIntyre
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR/Spectrum

... or place the heavy blade on the opposite side of the piston at TDC.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:51 PM   #6
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

I have not had to balance an APC prop yet. Wood props usually need balancing.

I bought a 20" Bolly prop. It was about $10 more for "balancing".
That is a poor description! I thought to myself, "Hey, I can balance a prop!". I was quite surprised though that the "unbalanced" prop I ordered is totally unfinished. Before balancing, I needed to level the hub, shape the tips, and fill a few voids in the CF weave.
If I would have realized how unfinished the prop would be, I would have GLADLY paid the extra $10. After waiting many weeks for delivery, I don't think re-ordering is a reasonable option.

Lesson learned!

Ronm

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:27 PM   #7

Total Props: 57
Props

All props I buy over 9 inch diam get put on a balancing jig. I have two. One is the magnetic one that I have extended the legs so it now accepts up to 20 inch wood props and rotates through 360 degrees. The other is a high point over the edge of the table for large or heavy props that I cannot do on the magnetic one. One should only suspend props by their hubs. Never stand them on one blade or lay them flat. Time heat and moisture can and will sometimes warp them. When the props are balanced they go in a special box with slide out dividers that the props are fixed to by their hubs.

As to taking the time to balance. Its easy just pick a spot and leave your balancing machines set up. Attach a prop and give it a spin. Now go on to other things. When I notice or remember the prop I mark the hub at the top (lightest side) and keep spinning when I remember noting each time where the prop stops. I look for the prop to stop in a different orientation at least 3 or 4 times before it is balanced. If the prop is out of balance with one blade in the up position I will usually wipe on a coat of varnish on the light blade. Some times the prop will stop with neither blade in the vertical plane or the balance is to far out I will drill the hub of the prop on the light side and add a lead like material that melts at about 170 F. By working on the balancing while waiting for glue to dry or such things I can usually balance 2 to 3 props a work session without taking time away from my building time. It also makes balancing less of a chore as its now space filler for those minutes that would other wise be waisted.

Dennis
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:54 PM   #8
JimMcIntyre
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR/Spectrum

Wow, now that's project management.
And I thought I was using my time well by running multiple building tables.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:08 PM   #9
thepope
RCC Apprentice

I am: Bill P
Radio of choice:
airtronics
# of RCs: 12

I don't go through that many props (not like when I was still landing on everything except the wheels) but it still seems to take up a lot of valuable building time. I have mainly Master Airscrew props and have never had one that didn't need balancing. I've tried APC and they also always need balancing. I use a magnetic balancer, maybe it's too touchy as it seems like when I get it close one little touch with spaper and it's going the other way!! Personally I'd pay double the asking price to have it ready to use off the shelf.
Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in