Old 01-23-2008, 02:12 PM   #1
JKovats
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John R
Radio of choice:
JR

Total Props: 20
MAAC AGM suggested motion

Hi Guys. Due to the most recent "flaming" that has, and is taking place on the general discussion, Futaba advisory notice I am going to make a suggestion.

A lot of people have a lot of trouble separating whether people are speaking on behalf of MAAC, their clubs, or themselves, because signatures on postings indicate. "chairman of ..., zone director of ..., etc". I don't know why in a public discussion forum that this is allowed. Some people think it gives them the authority to "act on behalf of" and some people think that statements made. "are on behalf of".

Like why bother, should I sign John Kovats, President Chamber of Commerce, Partner, Benefits Plus. Heck no, they have nothing to do with a personal forum or statement. Certainly list your club, but if you are on the executive, it may be construed that you are acting on behalf of your club, so why bother listing your position. I know a lot of guys don't, but the ones that do create way too much confusion in my opinion.

I emailed the president of MAAC about this apparent misperception, and quite frankly was disappointed with his response to this issue. I mean why open a point up for discussion, things are okay as they are, aren't they? NO!. Too many people, including the "volunteers", have trouble separating what personal,business and MAAC issues are.

So I propose a motion at the MAAC AGM something to the effect," No volunteer, officer, director, zone director, chairperson, or person of any other position in MAAC, other than as a member, can use their appointed position, stated on any correspondence, public or private forum, unless they are expressly conducting MAACs' business, responding to a specific MAAC inquiry, or are conducting any other business on behalf of MAAC, or have recieved written authority from MAAC to do so.".

This should help clear up any representations or misrepresentations made by, or to, any one regarding any subject matter. The "flaming of and to" as well as the "assumed authority" by all parties has to clean up or the mayhem will continue.

Any comments??? I will not be attending the AGM, nor will I be submitting a formal motion, but I think it's time something were done. It's a little to loosy goosy at this time and quite unprofessional.

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:17 PM   #2
tommy321
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Tom Hastie
Radio of choice:
Anything 72MHz
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
My comment is that you're not going to be able to police what people put in their signatures on any online forum. I rarely ever even read the signatures anyways.

Tom B.S.C
(Bronze Swimming Certificate)

P.S. can you imagine how boring this forum would be if there were no flame wars?
tommy321 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
jims
RCC Apprentice

I am: Jim S

Total Props: 0
In Agreement

In complete agreement with your point - when this occurs it tends to lend credence to a personal opinion not necessarily the MAAC position.

Jim S
MAAC 05956
jims is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:51 PM   #4
JimMcIntyre
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
JR/Spectrum
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
Quote:
John Kovats

aka Johnny Versatile
MAAC 65460

Brant Flyers
Cambridge Float Flyers
Are you speaking for Hespeler, Brant or Cambridge? :P

(sorry, couldn't resist)

On a more serious note (and my personal opinion), RCCanada is a loose collection of individuals, all posts are personal opinions.

If a MAAC rep wants to "voice" an official position, they will arrange to have it posted on the MAAC site and/opr published in an official commuique (e.g. the Mag).
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:04 PM   #5
Dennis 9412
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dennis DuBois
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-10G, JR XP9303
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcIntyre
On a more serious note (and my personal opinion), RCCanada is a loose collection of individuals, all posts are personal opinions.

If a MAAC rep wants to "voice" an official position, they will arrange to have it posted on the MAAC site and/opr published in an official commuique (e.g. the Mag).
I'm with Jim on this one!!

Dennis
CFI Orillia Aeromodelers
Dennis 9412 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:58 PM   #6
Hughes500E
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 16
I think some need the exact opposite; I would like to see more postings from those that know. This is a large group of guys most of whom are MAAC members. If the executive/directors would start posting more, perhaps more guys would become more educated and able to help rather than add to the frustration/s.

Your post makes no sense!
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:33 PM   #7
nigol
RCC Junior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes500E
I think some need the exact opposite; I would like to see more postings from those that know. This is a large group of guys most of whom are MAAC members. If the executive/directors would start posting more, perhaps more guys would become more educated and able to help rather than add to the frustration/s.

Your post makes no sense!

Then I think you should be directing this missive to your President........
nigol is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:38 PM   #8
JKovats
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John R
Radio of choice:
JR

Total Props: 20
I agree that we should get postings from "those that know" That would be "official MAAC business".. Problem I see, is that it's hard to get "official, approved. announcements" from MAAC. Before anyone criticises this statement, let me ask if you have ever tried. If you read the "Futaba" thread, you can see it got pretty personal, that's not official maac business. I think newbies and those that aren't or haven't been at all involved with MAAC, might get confused. Also let's not mistake that because someone has a "position" or "volunteered", they are not necesarily an expert.

I don't have the answer, but all this personal criticism stuff is pretty petty, and as a MAAC member and supporter, I think MAAC should take the position that unless it is "official MAAC business", your signature line of your "position", other than as a member should not be allowed. I don't think it is any forums job to police it, I think it should be MAAC policy. Anybody in business or involved in any large organization knows that "Policies" are often put in place so degredation/misrepresentation of companies/products etc do not take place. It is done to maintain integrity.

As for my personal club affiliation, I and most guys don't mention their position in the clubs, even though many of us, serve on the executives, as well as chair events. I don't have a problem with people mentioning affiliations. Quite frankly, it shows perhaps, where other RCC members can get information about that particular club.

When someones' posted signature "only" identifies their "MAAC" position, the commentary, in my humble opinion, and as experienced with feed back on this site, in many different MAAC flame wars, personal position comments, would indicate that many people relate comments as to be "MAAC biased/influenced" which as a card carrying member of MAAC, I object to.

Let me use an example, supposing you are The "safety director" for the Ontario Trucking Association, as well as other affiliations. Supposing you are commenting in a transportation forum and your only signature is Johnny V, Safety Director, Ontario Trucking Association. You comment on lot's of stuff, one day you are having a not so good day and "flame a person, comment, or situation". I think the Ontario Trucking Association may in fact take exception and I think people who read the forum and have not got the full knowledge of the OTA would get the wrong idea of the OTA and who works/volunteers for it as well as the position of the OTA on that matter. If it was official OTA business, no big deal.

If MAAC doesn't take an interest in how their (our) association is represented and appears in the public eyes, the controversy will continue. But then again, the second post sums it up for a lot of people, "
Tom B.S.C
(Bronze Swimming Certificate)

P.S. can you imagine how boring this forum would be if there were no flame wars?

This thread was started for comments. I hope no one turns it into a flamer as well and gets it all off topic.

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:45 PM   #9
Carl Layden
RCC Contributor

I am: Carl Layden

Should I or Shouldn't I...

Ahh what the heck...

Directors have a specific set of rules they must follow its part of the Canadian Corp Act. MAAC is a not-for-profit corporation; there are expectations and responsibilities to which each director must adhere.

In addition to that each director must sign and agree to the "code of ethics" prior to taking the board position. There are guidelines for disciplinary action if required.

RCC is a public forum full of many opinions, some I agree with, some I don't. Whether fair or not people will form opinions based on what is posted here. You need only check a users profile and read their history to form an opinion about an individual.

I don't think Bob did anything wrong, he expressed a personal opinion. Did he speak for MAAC? No. He's the SE zone director and he's the chairman of SA. He does an excellent job of both IMO.

The inclusion of titles in a signature should not be an issue and certainly is helpful many times.

Want a project? Go back through the pages of posts on RCC & other forums how many times has someone taken a personal shot at a Director; Chairman; President; etc. The guys doing the jobs take more than they deserve.

How many times is post about MAAC a complaint? Or what MAAC is doing wrong. How many positive suggestions come forward? How long can a thread about MAAC continue before it deteriorates into little more than a urinating contest?

Many BOD members don't post on forums, why? I'm sure in some cases it's to avoid conflict and confrontation that often comes with public forums. To those BOD that do post here good for you, always wear your flame retardant undies.

As for me; been there done that, total "has been" in many areas of MAAC. I'm currently enjoying a little extra time for family and building, my responsibilities to the BOD and Exec ended many months ago.

So in regards to the motion I don't agree and the required checks and balances for directors are in place.

In regards to the posting of the Futaba info, did ya ever think that a corporation may need to verify information and check with the vender prior to posting the information on a corporate website? Some things take time.....

Carl

Golf : WHACK! F!
R/C Flying: F! WHACK!
Carl Layden is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:50 PM   #10

Total Props: 57
Well put Carl I wonder if any of them will take the time and effort to understand.

Dennis
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in