Tricopter Anyone? - Page 5 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Aerial Photography/Video Discuss and exchange ideas about aerial photography and video in Canada.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:37 PM   #41
Beerwiser
RCC Contributor

I am: Ted
Radio of choice:
dx8
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 12
Re: Tricopter Anyone?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Damm, mine is in Edmonton. One hour drive away, see how long it takes to make it out here lol. How do you think a copilot II would work for stabilization or is it worth getting a flymentor too?
Beerwiser is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:50 AM   #42
Chrisfly
RCC Contributor

I am: Chris P
Radio of choice:
Spektrum Dx8
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerwiser View Post
Damm, mine is in Edmonton. One hour drive away, see how long it takes to make it out here lol. How do you think a copilot II would work for stabilization or is it worth getting a flymentor too?
Hey Ted

Hope Canada Post don't send it by mule for that last 100k's! I can not comment on the spefically on opilot, but I can so no reason why not. Basically the only 2 channels are used on the flymentor and so if the copilot allows that the should be fine. Of course programming it is another story altogether, but there are pretty smart guys out there on the web.

So... Hope it arrives today!

Regards
Chris
Old 08-03-2011, 08:57 AM   #43
gi1mo2
RCC Contributor

I am: Gilles M
Radio of choice:
DX7
# of RCs: 18

Total Props: 4

I built a Gaui 330X and like it. I think this will be my next toy. Let me know how it goes. I would like FPV. I have DX7, a GoPro Hero, and will need to know what other elements I will need to make this compatible.
Plane: F4U Corsair, Extra 300, Hangar-9 Piper J-3 Cub 40, Visionaire, Polaris Ultra, Focke Wulf 190
Micro: T-28 Trojan, Extra 300 3D
gi1mo2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #44
buffythesaint
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Buffy

Total Props: 15

Chris. I was able to do a test flight today with my FPV gear installed. The on-board video has some jello but not too bad. It won't be as noticeable with faster forward flight, I hope. I was rocking it with the sticks to check the gain of the flymentor. The roll axix need the gain reduced a bit. When I centre the sticks, it rocks a bit before coming to a stop. The pitch axis is pretty good. The FC gyros are good and I don't think they need adjusting. I'm also getting a lot of interference on my video when I throttle up, just a few lines at rest. I suspect the esc's/motors causing this. I had this exact same FPV setup/harness in my quad with no problems. I've since added a ferrite ring around the esc control leads. Hope this is of some help. It's raining out again so a test flight will have to wait. Chris, have your brother watch the video and perhaps he can help trouble shoot my video.

I also swapped out the 9" props with some APC 1047's.

I too have a Co-pilot(with the light sensors) but the mentor will still work in the dark. Just un-plug the flymentor camera for night flying.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1382.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	114448  
buffythesaint is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #45
eyeinsky
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Jerry Kutra

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffythesaint View Post
Chris. I was able to do a test flight today with my FPV gear installed. The on-board video has some jello but not too bad. It won't be as noticeable with faster forward flight, I hope. I was rocking it with the sticks to check the gain of the flymentor. The roll axix need the gain reduced a bit. When I centre the sticks, it rocks a bit before coming to a stop. The pitch axis is pretty good. The FC gyros are good and I don't think they need adjusting. I'm also getting a lot of interference on my video when I throttle up, just a few lines at rest. I suspect the esc's/motors causing this. I had this exact same FPV setup/harness in my quad with no problems. I've since added a ferrite ring around the esc control leads. Hope this is of some help. It's raining out again so a test flight will have to wait. Chris, have your brother watch the video and perhaps he can help trouble shoot my video.

I also swapped out the 9" props with some APC 1047's.

I too have a Co-pilot(with the light sensors) but the mentor will still work in the dark. Just un-plug the flymentor camera for night flying.
Hi Buff

Looks good lots of gear there on this bad boy

I use the multiWii system with NK, no need for a fly mentor, I've not installed my FPV gear vet so I don't know how it's going to affect my video. Keep us posted on what you find. The only suggestion I can give is move thing around. Try keeping the video feed away from ESC. Video TX can amp ESC noise if they are to close.

Good luck
Jerry
Old 08-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #46
buffythesaint
RCC Pro Contributor

I did some testing tonight with better results, I think. I had my Mrs. hold the tri above her head and then I powered up to about 20a's. The first test was with the choke installed and video googles on. The video was bad. I removed the choke and tried again. The video was OK(soso flyable) but I had three horizontal stationary lines in my googles. They were small lines and I probably could fly. I also held it and moved my wires around, while my wife looked in the googles. No difference in video quality. Next test will be with the flymentor disconnected.

Chris, do I just pull out the pitch and roll leads out of the top of the flymentor to disable it or just unplug everything from the mentor control box?
Old 08-03-2011, 08:02 PM   #47
Chrisfly
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum Dx8

Hi Brian

Let me comment on both your posts..

Interesting and brave!.. (Getting the Mrs to hold the tri over her head!) I have 5 nice cuts on my arm from a similar experiment - be aware if it flips on you it does so with a huge amount of force and is close to impossible to hang on to as it does it instantly!

Removing the Flymentor... Removing the top 2 plugs will simple disable the tri as there will be no input to the board. You can just unplug the gyro and CCD or better still simply remove it from the circuit. Do this by taking the two leads off the top and swapping them out with the mentor connections on the RX. (I do that with two 10cm servo extensions to save me removing all the cable ties.)

re your earlier post..

I shared with Craig and he sent me this back to post.. PM me your email and I will send you the Flymentor files he references as I can not attach them.. (be aware that some channels may be reversed in these files relative to each other!)

Cheers

Chris

-------------------------------------------------

"Hi Brian and thanks..

A few thoughts as it is really late and cold here on the opposite side of the planet!

The original flymentor settings are very ‘rigid’ and cause over correction in levelling. (Fly mentor's gyros are slow to react, if their gain is high then they come in late and overshoot level.) By reducing flymentors gyro control, but maintaining other controls – much smoother flying is possible. Hence the rocking motion. It does go away in forward flight. I have all but eliminated it in my 2nd flymentor file by modifying the gyro gains. The only problem with that is newbies tend to crash more easily as it continues to free-wheel for longer while correcting. So if you are at a very steep angle and you do not give the mentor enough height to correct, you will crash. The upside is flight is much smoother. That said, I don't think this will affect you!

The Jello footage can usually be dealt with by prop balancing, but better still some "no-more-nails" double sided polymer tape (clear), the new one is white and not as good – 2-3 layers on top of each other works well. I usually have a separate anchor rope to just in case the camera comes loose. Slightly unbalanced props & of course prop savers are a video killer.

The FPV video looks like it’s losing the vertical sync in noise. This will almost certainly be leaking into the bare video wires, from adjacent wiring. The current sensor if located along side the GOPRO’s video feed? I moved my current sensor & wires below the frame, keeping the video above. It is also highly likely that the 500Mw TX is also inducing noise into the video lines which makes things worse – lowers the trouble threshold. I put my GPS & OSD in foam directly behind the camera. I also used a separate 800mAH lipo for the OSD+Video tx. I had no interference on my video. If you check out my 2 lousy Youtube FPV vids (recorded at ground station) and you step frame by fame you can see the image jumping back and forth, vibration. (Well the pre-youtube footage cleary shows this.) My footage had no lines even with the OSD.

I do not have a pic of my setup before I pulled it all off, but I will illustrate, see attached file.

Okay so.. main objective is to put all video & gps to front, separate power source. Move controls back. Exception is the Video TX.

Also need to check earth (black) wiring layout.

10x4.7 are good extra power for FPV and yes, Fly mentors are way better than optical levelers.

So Brian, have fun and adjust your Flymentor as it makes the tri more graceful and please share your config files as you get the result you want.

Regards

Craig
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FPV.pdf (8.1 KB, 72 views)
Old 08-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #48
buffythesaint
RCC Pro Contributor

Thanks Chris, PM sent. I'll re-mount everything and give it a try again.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #49
buffythesaint
RCC Pro Contributor

Chris, I made up a ground chart for Craig to look at. I did not include the flight contoller and mentor. I'm guessing Craig knows the rest of the grounds. I may have too many grounds and may need to remove some. I'll hold off installation until I hear back from you or Craig. Craig should join RCCanada and then he can post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grounds.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	114582  
Old 08-04-2011, 09:57 AM   #50
Chrisfly
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum Dx8

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffythesaint View Post
Chris, I made up a ground chart for Craig to look at. I did not include the flight contoller and mentor. I'm guessing Craig knows the rest of the grounds. I may have too many grounds and may need to remove some. I'll hold off installation until I hear back from you or Craig. Craig should join RCCanada and then he can post.
Hey Brian

Sent on.. and yes I have been trying to get him to join .. but with bandwidth etc they struggle out there!

Cheers

CP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in