RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 04-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
csiguy
RCC Apprentice

I am: Trent J.

Total Props: 0
Venting online - UPS

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have a bee in my bonnet about UPS and the ridiculous brokerage fees they charge to do nothing. Wanna hear it ? Then read on....

I understand that when I order RC parts from the US, I'm going to get nailed with S&H and a difference in the exchange rate but if I'm already paying a shipping fee to UPS, why too are they collecting an outrageous brokerage fee for doing NOTHING ? Really, do you think that someone sits at their desk and processes your package ? The answer is 'NO'. They do nothing but pick up the package, ship it here, ship it there, sort it, fly it across the border and voila, you get it. All they do to collect their exorbanant fees is look at the item value, do a little math and send you the bill !

Here's my example, I recently ordered parts from a US company which totalled $112.85 (USD) + $52.96 S&H = $165.76 (USD). The exchange rate is negligible right now so I'm not even going to consider it at this point. When I received the package (which was another JOKE given the run around from UPS and the fact that my little yellow delivery notice stuck to my doo indicated I could sign it so the driver would leave the package the next day but when I signed it, the driver on the second delivery attempt then wrote on it that there was $$$ owing -NO CASH- so he couldn't just leave it. Therefore, I had to go pick it up myself).... anyway.... I digress ..... I had to pay a $39.25 brokerage fee !!! Oh wait.... there's more. On top of that, there was $13.47 GST (for the item) and $4.71 GST on the brokerage fee too !!!! So.... At the end of the day, my $165.76 package cost me $223.19 AND I had to spend MY gas and MY time to go pick it up myself !!!

I called UPS to discuss this and all I got was some song and dance about how they're licenced broker and therefore can collect such fees and that they're rates are very competitive blah, blah, blah, blah, blah..... Sounds like someone has a 'double-dipping' scam going and is getting VERY RICH off ripping you and I off. It's no wonder such a poorly run company can get so big and powerful. Have you every dealt with UPS on the phone ? If you do, have a drink or two beforehand to calm your nerves. You'll need it.

Seriously folks.... Do yourself a favor. DON'T SHIP UPS if you can help it and request USPS. I've used USPS (United States Postal Service) several times in the past because 90% of the time, their items get transfered to Canada Post and I pay NO extra fees. Now I'm not suggesting a public boycott of UPS but for me, I WILL AVOID THEM AT ALL COST !!!

Thanks for listening. Now I need a drink

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
smoknrv4
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jonathan M
Radio of choice:
DX 18QQ
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 55
Re: Venting online - UPS

Yep been burned before and now I always request specifically USPS no matter what, or I don't order from them period.

Elgin Flyers, St. Thomas, Ontario
Maac#45310
smoknrv4 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
dean2287
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dean M

Total Props: 8

Totally agree, UPS is the very last option and to me NOT an option. Last time I had something shipped via UPS the brokerage fee was more that the actual delivery charge. And that was THE last time.
fly2bfree
dean2287 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
Slats!
RCC Contributor

I am: Slats

Total Props: 6

I know you are PO but I am actually surprised you are shocked, the fees are all on their website and it has been discussed on the boards many times before. Don't use them unless you are welling to pay the fee..

Vancouver customs, well thats another story.
Slats! is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
williame3590
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: William A
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 116

No UPS here, hopefully they will fold soon.

Bill
Old 04-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
Redbaron
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Charles

Total Props: 18

Highly unlikely, they just opened up a new depot here in Moncton & are opening up another in Halifax next month. They also have plans to expand with smaller depos all all over New Brunswick & Nova Scotia.
MAAC #19504
"Take Off Eh!"
Redbaron is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
Chris.S.
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Chris S
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 2

I hear ya, I've been burned by their fees too. I won't order from the states unless the seller will ship USPS.

Seems to be a total cash grab scam.
Chris.S. is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
bobreib
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Bob R.
Radio of choice:
FRSKY Taranis & Graupner MX-16

Total Props: 5

Same Story. Last time I intentionally used UPS was about 1980 .. If they can't or won't ship USPS I look for another supplier. Actually I got stung on an "Express " shipment from China. Seems they use UPS in North America .. Won't do that again either !
EDIT : Like a later poster, I too have ordered from Tiger Direct and received the goods from the US via UPS for about $8 .. I just receied a package from New Egg, also shipped from the US via UPS .. free shipping !!
The big brokerage fees really are an unnecessary scam !

Last edited by bobreib; 04-24-2012 at 10:32 PM.
bobreib is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
reo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 96

I was involved in importing and brokerage issues for over 25 years so here goes....

I'm not defending the UPS fees here (I avoid them like the plague) but someone DOES have to do the import paperwork on your order and $40 for a brokerage fee is not unreasonable in the brokerage business. Hire a broker and see what it will cost you. We are dealing with an international border and import fees are a fact of life.

Post office is the way to go but some US shippers do not want to use mail because it is 'inconvenient' and Canadian customers get on their case when the shipment is held up in Canadian customs. Can't have it both ways I guess. (fast and cheap)

Just my opinion though....
reo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
phattires
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Mike B
Radio of choice:
JR 9503

Total Props: 0

I to have to agree with Slats....
Their brokerage fees has to be common knowledge to most as there is no shortage of posted complaints on this and many other forums.
If vendor will not ship via USPS, then order elsewhere.
I have placed many orders from the States and always have had it shipped USPS EMT and never had any issues.
phattires is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in