Futaba UDISCO Radio - FREE FOR PICK-UP - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Notices

FS - Electronics Sell radios, chargers or anything else electronic.

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 08:34 PM   #1
MikeSac
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Mike S

Total Props: 0
Item is sold Futaba UDISCO Radio - FREE FOR PICK-UP

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am selling:
UDISCO Transmitter Ch42
FP-R107Q Reciever Ch42
Charger

I have had this "retro" radio in my basement for a long time. I have no idea what it would be worth to someone now, so make me an offer. The battery in the TX would need to be replaced and there is some damage to the side panels.

================================================== =======
RCC Classified Quick Rules

- Location & price is a must when selling RC related items. Update your profile!!!
- Use the feedback system after a sale / trade.
- Buyer Beware!
- One bump / TTT every 3 days.
- Classified rules here.
** Infractions will be passed out if rules are broken. Threads may be deleted.

================================================== =======
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7522v1.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	59010  

Last edited by MikeSac; 01-01-2010 at 09:25 AM.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
Spitball
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: Cedric V.

Total Props: 1
Re: Futaba UDISCO Radio

I have acquired the exact same radio recently and have precisely the same problem with the side panels, only your's seems to be in nicer condition than mine - they fell out/off when I tried to remove them to check the battery pack! They seem to have been very carefully and nicely glued on previously. Some generous modeller has offered me a similar transmitter as a gift and I have only to take an opportunity to go and fetch it. But the sides can be carefully glued back in - take care to insert the metal grounding bits when you do - the battery is probably a Futaba NT-8H, a long skinny pack of 8 AA NiCds of three rows of cells with a dummy carboard cell on the negative end. Beware, the sticker on mine said $51:99 but I have since seen them for quite a bit less. Fortunately I think I can resurrect mine! The antenna is no longer available but you could try RadioSouth for spares - he's pretty helpful.
I paid $50 for my radio with Rx switch, no charger and four servos, all in fair condition, if this gives you an idea of it's worth, MikeSac. Truly a lovely classic old radio IMHO!
BTW, the full ID of the Tx is probably: Model No.FP-6FG
Old 09-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
DO335
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 6

Is it still wide band or has it been converted to narrow band? Can't use wide band anywhere around here anymore.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
robonline
RCC Contributor

I am: rob z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
The antenna is no longer available but you could try RadioSouth for spares
Is you antenna damaged or missing? I remember when I got new one just like this. I returned it to the hobby shop because it had no antenna. Two days later the store phoned me to say they had contacted Unisco and discovered that the antenna is removable and stores in a small hole on the side of the radio. It just slides in and out
Rob.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

If it's got a channel number it's narrow band

Wide band has a colours combo and frequency, no channel number
Old 09-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #6
robonline
RCC Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by moo View Post
If it's got a channel number it's narrow band

Wide band has a colours combo and frequency, no channel number
Sort of true. While the TX is narrow band the RX is not.
Rob.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #7
Spitball

I don't believe MikeSac has any intention to use it, DO335 and he had said it's on Ch.#42. Anyway is Ennismore near New Market - I don't know it. Also I'm sure he's not that foolish!!
Moo is correct; also it has a Tx module, probably an FP-TF-AM but the receiver is not the one it came with, it's a later receiver and is probably Narrow-Band as well. Mine came with an original FP-R6L 6-ch rx. This one has an FP-R107Q or-G 7-ch receiver which is likely Narrow-band and has the newer Futaba connectors. Looks a nice receiver - Futaba list most of their receivers on their site, even older ones but with very little other information. The FP-T6FG Manual I downloaded does not mention this receiver of course but a check on the Futaba site will bring up a lot.
It probably came with four S-26 or more likely S-28 or 48 or their new connector/neutral pulse equivalents but in use, remember the older Futaba Txs like this had about a 1320 micro-second pulse width for neutral whereas the new S-100 series servos with the new connector have close to 1500, the industry norm these days. The connectors give a clue to the difference - the receiver doesn't care of course but the servos you may use do. Just a heads-up, FYI. Goodnight.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #8
robonline
RCC Contributor

If you look at the bottom left corner of the radio you will see that it is FM. I bought this exact radio (a few years ago in 1981 or 82) It's a FP-T6FG and it came with a FP-R107Q receiver (I'm holding both of these items in my hand). I have had the TX tested and it is narrow band but I was told at the time that the receiver was not.
In any case unless they have the Gold 1991 compliant sticker, they are not legal to use even if they are narrow band.
Rob.

Last edited by robonline; 09-13-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:37 AM   #9
Spitball

Yup, you're right robonline - I missed the 'FM' on the receiver in the picture - hey, I never realized these were even marketed 'FM'! Mine is AM and the module says that at the back. Of course the rest of the Tx electrickery doesn't care - the module does it!
I've never quite understood this 'not legal' term - is this Canada Industry law or MAAC rules? I accept that the old 'coloured' channels that Moo mentions are now not allowed, with the introduction of the 'new' 72 Mhz band plan, by law.

P.S. I enlarged the picture considerably and you can just see 'FM' on the label on the bottom. Mine case isn't marked except the module. I also missed that before.

Last edited by Spitball; 09-14-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:47 AM   #10
MikeSac
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Mike S

Thanks for all the information. I have had this for awhile and never really knew any of the details presented here. This is great.

I should add that I do have the antenna, although I did at first forget that it does have a nice hidding spot in the base of the tx, which is a neat feature. Also, there are no gold stickers on the tx or rx

I do have the manual and the original Warrenty information. Also after digging through some old files I have found some original documentation from UDISCO explaining the government certification of such a radio in Canada. I also found attached to this information a blank General Radio Service Licence Form that must have come with the radio. I'm not sure what this would be for. Did modellers have to have a radio licence in the past? ('80's?)

Just to be clear I no longer use this radio and don't intend to. I have a new Futaba 6ch which I use now. Although I did use this radio 3-5 years ago so I know it worked then.
Closed Thread