RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Notices

Old 12-19-2015, 09:41 AM   #1
Boatcrazy
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Derick

Total Props: 8
Another price hike Really?

Ok I get the CDN dollar took another hit this week but come on GH.
Seem you hike your price at every opportunity.
I was going down there today to pick up a Futaba 14SG $539 I think on clear out.
Get ready to head out check the site just to make sure they still have one a WOW over $800 today.
And everything else 10-15% hike.
Is it a bit of sour grapes because I didn't get down to GH in time to get the good deal on the 14SG sure it is.
This type of thing has been discussed a few times here before and I do understand the business side of this but I just think its a bit excessive especially with the economy in the state its in.
I have always been a defender of GH when someone post about bad service but I not on there side this time.
I think they just lost my business for good this time.

Last edited by Boatcrazy; 12-19-2015 at 09:50 AM.
Boatcrazy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:56 AM   #2
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232
Re: Another price hike Really?

You cant really blame a Canadian Hobby shop that has to purchase thier product from the US to sell to local hobbyists. They have no control what happens to the Canadian dollar vs the US dollar.

We are seeing that hit everywhere. Even if you mail order from USA or abroad, almost everyone lists their prices in US dollars, we we all take the hit whether you like it or not.

Can't really offer a good solution other than to either take the hit or learn live lean until the Canadian dollar come back up again. If it does..

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:08 AM   #3
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
You cant really blame a Canadian Hobby shop that has to purchase thier product from the US to sell to local hobbyists. They have no control what happens to the Canadian dollar vs the US dollar.
I would assume that MOST retail hobby shops have agreements with canadian distributers as well, so we are looking at a mark up from two distrubuters and the retail shop, that seems excessive but how could they otherwise carry the dubro and robart hinges everyone wants?
Old 01-31-2016, 10:47 AM   #4
marcus
RCC Contributor

I am: Marcus Keeler

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by moo View Post
I would assume that MOST retail hobby shops have agreements with canadian distributers as well, so we are looking at a mark up from two distrubuters and the retail shop, that seems excessive but how could they otherwise carry the dubro and robart hinges everyone wants?

Which Canadian distributors specifically? I don't know of any who market and distribute a full range of Hobby Products to retail hobby stores?

Dubro & Robart come in through Horizon and/or Great planes already so why would a hobby store with those existing [free shipping] associations want to get into a contract with one or more small time local distributors with all the hassle of extra accounts, shipping, ordering system, just to save a few pennies?
marcus is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:04 AM   #5
HAL9KPCM
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave Z
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 128

You could always look at a place like RC Japan. You can get the 14SG delivered for about $600. Keeping in mind the risks of requiring warranty, you may have to send back to Japan. The manual provided will also be Japanese, but you can download the English version.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:59 PM   #6
Jimmy P
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: James Parnell
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 31

Total Props: 14

I checked that site out but all there prices are in Japanese so you don't even know what the price is.
Jimmy P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:41 PM   #7
HAL9KPCM
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave Z
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy P View Post
I checked that site out but all there prices are in Japanese so you don't even know what the price is.
XE.com and convert from JPY to CAD. 100 Yen is about $1.15 Canadian.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:02 PM   #8
Jimmy P
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: James Parnell
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 31

Total Props: 14

Derek you are not alone, the hobby is going to suffer even more, we cannot afford to keep up period let alone buy hobby stuff. I have already begun to sell off my stuff due to I could not afford to fix it at these prices anymore.
Jimmy P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:19 PM   #9
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dennis DWP

Total Props: 12

The fun part for Great Hobbies is they may have bought this stock when the dollar was better and every time the Canadian dollar takes a hit they can bump the price. Even though they didn't buy it at the new exchange rate you will pay the new exchange rate. Gas companies do it to you every day. The retailers in Canada have been doing this for years. When I can buy the same item over the counter at a US hobby shop, pay their taxes, pay the exchange and our taxes and still save a $100 bucks I know the Canadian retailer is taking advantage. 99% of my stuff is all purchased in the US. Today for instance I needed new 3.5 floppies for my CNC (its older than some of you) he he he. Amazon.ca cheapest in Canada 21 bucks plus delivery after Christmas. Amazon.com 12 bucks free delivery two days guess where I bought them from. Last time I was in a Canadian Hobby shop I needed some foam safe CA to finish an indoor project. The 1/2 oz of CA was as much as the 2 oz in the US. I bought it to finish the job but I don't go there unless I really get stuck.

Dennis
Lazy Ace is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:09 PM   #10
Boatcrazy
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Derick

Total Props: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Ace View Post
The fun part for Great Hobbies is they may have bought this stock when the dollar was better and every time the Canadian dollar takes a hit they can bump the price. Even though they didn't buy it at the new exchange rate you will pay the new exchange rate. Gas companies do it to you every day. The retailers in Canada have been doing this for years. When I can buy the same item over the counter at a US hobby shop, pay their taxes, pay the exchange and our taxes and still save a $100 bucks I know the Canadian retailer is taking advantage. 99% of my stuff is all purchased in the US. Today for instance I needed new 3.5 floppies for my CNC (its older than some of you) he he he. Amazon.ca cheapest in Canada 21 bucks plus delivery after Christmas. Amazon.com 12 bucks free delivery two days guess where I bought them from. Last time I was in a Canadian Hobby shop I needed some foam safe CA to finish an indoor project. The 1/2 oz of CA was as much as the 2 oz in the US. I bought it to finish the job but I don't go there unless I really get stuck.

Dennis
I agree 100% with you Dennis.
I have tried to support LHS but its getting to the point they are making it not affordable.
There are a lot of other options,
You where talking about Amazon.ca they had Futaba on sale last week could have picked up a 10JA transmitter for $300 yup you read that correct.
Wish I would have grab one.
GH wants $489 for the same transmitter.
Boatcrazy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in