RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 9
Paint Ball Gun and Plane

Hi,

I just received an email from a modeller in California. They have made a coroplast SPAD and fire at it with a Paint Ball Gun for fun at their field.

I was thinking, if it was done safely, with no other planes flying and only shooting across the field, that this may be a good Fun Fly event or fundraiser for both modellers and spectators. I was thinking something like charging $5.00 for three shots, if you hit the SPAD, you win $10. The money would be donated to some charity.

I suspect it would be hard thing to hit, but fun to try. However, I was wondering if this would be a safe thing to do?

Does anyone have any comments?

Thanbks for your input.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:03 PM   #2
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
We tried it at our field, it was a lot of fun. Almost impossible to hit the plane!

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:27 AM   #3
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronm
We tried it at our field, it was a lot of fun. Almost impossible to hit the plane!
Wayne,

i was in Calgary and they did this at a Funfly I went to as a spectator. I tried it and as Ron said.. damned neer MI.. course it helps if you set the gun pressure to MIn and don't tell public...
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:39 AM   #4
Kelly W
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Kelly W
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 6
I should try to dig up the thread on RCU where some guys in the US had a similar game going with a small anti-aircraft gun! Don't know exactly where I read it though unfortunately...

It was absolutely awesome!

Kelly
Kelly W is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:49 AM   #5
Ed Smith

And what happens if the receiver or any part of the airplane gets hit and damaged, the airplane gets loose and injures somebody?

The first thing that amazes me is that people? actualy do it. The second is that they advertise it on a public forum. The third is that others think it is a great idea!

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:31 AM   #6
Tankdude

Was thinking of this already, but was leaning more towards airsoft guns for the higher rate of fire.
Tankdude is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:08 AM   #7
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 9
Oaint Ball

Hi Ed,

I agree, the same thing amazes me me with people that fly pylon racers. Just think, at the speed they are going, what would happen if something came loose on the plane, pilot error or the equipment failed. The plane would be like a bullet, with very little time to react and especially dangerous if it went into the crowd at that speed - there would be no way anyone could get out of the way, I'm sure a lot of damage would occur.

I'll place your quote here instead of rewritting it:
The first thing that amazes me is that people? actualy do it. The second is that they advertise it on a public forum. The third is that others think it is a great idea!

Sorry Ed, I couldn't resist, I've seen some of your "comebacks" and thought I'd take advantage to have a little fun. I know you fly pylon and I hope I didn't offend.

I think everyone has their own point of view regarding combat, pylon racing, giant scale, precision flying, scale etc. there is always some for and some against. As long as it is done in a safe manner, with proper precautions, and with the club members permission, then it is up to the individual what they want to do with their equipment.

I think a slow flying coroplast SPAD, with a paint gun, in a controlled environment and "shooting" zone should be relatively safe.

However, shooting at a plane with live ammunition is a different story, and have to agree with you. I think the article that was referred to was published in one of the RC mags way back when a .22 was rigged up to fire at a target drone pulled by an RC aircraft. It was done by the US military to improve the markmanship of ground gunners.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:21 AM   #8
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Didn't a pylon racer crash into the metal cage where the judges were killing one of them??
Now that's dangerous!!!

Oh yeah, and there not "guns" they are paintball "markers"

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:32 AM   #9
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

We did it last year at our fun fly...having never seen the event before, I was elected pilot! 2 firing station, 2 safety officers. Kids were charged $3 for two passes. 99% missed, but they all had a great time trying!
Impact is so low that it model does not even deviate in flight. The electronics are safe inside the fuse. Since the model is always flying away from the crowd...there is zero risk to anyone. Got brought down once by a direct hit on the carb airfilter...engine does not run well on paint.......

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:36 AM   #10
hillmanr2
RCC Supreme Contributor

I can't believe you posted this question here. What would happen if you were shooting at the plane and started to have fun? Worse yet what if you had fun and raised money? I think it's very irresponsible for you to want to have fun or raise money for anything with a model aircraft in Canada, It can't be done and shouldn't be done. Just look at the previous posts.
http://www.duralitebatteries.com/
PTA Hobbies
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in