craigk
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Craig K
Radio of choice:
Spectrum NX10
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 10
Go big or go home?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
At the risk of starting a war or other serious altercations, over the next few months I will be pondering whether to get a bigger airplane for IMAC competitions or keep the venerable 100cc Aeroworks Extra 260.

I think I improved significantly over this season, even though I managed to solidly secure the cellar in every event.

So I'm looking for advice/comments on whether to continue with the airplane I'm comfortable with or look for something bigger.

And whether a Carden or Hangar 9 Su26 or Aeroworks Extra would make a difference to me.

Thanks for your comments.
MAAC #9467L IMAC 3706

Last edited by craigk; 09-26-2015 at 09:56 PM. Reason: content
craigk is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:55 AM   #2
BMG
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Brendan G.
Radio of choice:
18MZ
# of RCs: 3.5

Total Props: 4
Re: Go big or go home?

You already know what I think.

For classes above sportsman, the trend, and for good reason, is 40% as a minimum. The stability of these planes is incredible when you have any wind or are into more complex maneuvers.

I don't want to discourage anyone here but keep in mind there are some great deals out there on used planes. Transportation definitely becomes a concern though.

The 40% 260 with a 150 was the plane to fly up until a few years ago. It still is a terrific plane as Ivan Kristensen proved with his up until he sold it last year.

Brendan
BMG is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:35 AM   #3
Billpilotca
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bill T
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Total Props: 21

Craig - as you know I have a sister plane to your yellow AW Extra. "Old Yellar" as Brendan calls her has almost 400 flights. You also know I have a 40% Suk and Carden 260.

I won't comment a lot on the Carden as I am still working with my mentor to get it dialed in, however I have about a 140 flights on the Suk.

As Brendan said the stability and general flight characteristics of the larger planes makes flying easier. I notice a heck of a difference between the 35 and 40% planes. The larger plane is just so much nicer to fly.

I also agree that you don't need the larger plane until you get to the upper classes. Certainly not for Basic and Sportsman, Intermediate is seriously debatable but I need every advantage I can get due to pilot limitations. For sure it makes a difference in Advanced and Unlimited. But for ease of flying you would not regret it. Transportation is an issue but lots of guys fit the 40% planes up the centre of their vans.

I would say go for it if you can. Keep your eye out for a used deal or buy a new airframe and try to find some used parts and pieces. I have not priced the H9 Sukhoi lately but it was down around $1400 U.S. and free shipping at times within the U.S. I picked mine up in Niagara Falls NY but you of course would go across at SSM.

Should warn you though that if you do buy a Suk new it comes in a box that must be 8 feet long (big coffin). And there are two other boxes for cowl and wings. I remember taking it all apart in my driveway and had a huge pile of cardboard to get rid of.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:38 PM   #4
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Randy Brown

Total Props: 4
I give u 50 for your aeroworks
Randy Brown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:27 PM   #5
craigk
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Craig K
Radio of choice:
Spectrum NX10

Total Props: 10
I still have the Katana
You can have it for $50
craigk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:19 AM   #6
Jimmy P
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: James Parnell
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 31

Total Props: 14

So just curious, what is a 40% plane worth to build to compete?
Jimmy P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:50 AM   #7
19pointbuck
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Darryl
Radio of choice:
spektrum
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 1

I would think around 3G. 1000 for motor, prop, spinner, another 1000 for servos, and a grand for miscellaneous. (servo extension, fuel tank, SmartFly, A123 batteries). Just a guess what it cost me for my 38% Decathlon. Plus the aircraft it's self.
19pointbuck is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:35 AM   #8
Billpilotca
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bill T
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Total Props: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy P View Post
So just curious, what is a 40% plane worth to build to compete?
Answer has a lot of variability and whether you go new or used and low end to high end. So cost can be as low as 3.5-4 K up to a high end around 10-12 K.

I have done fairly well buying used planes, engines, servos from people I know and trust. But for a 40% I would say $4000 is likely the low end of the range for a 40%.

If you go high end then a new Carden Pro kit is $2000, custom built by an experienced builder adds $2000 so total $4000 just for the plane. A new DA200 is $2800 US !! Pick whatever US-Can rate and go ouch. Then new exhaust system and headers, high end servos etc then you can run the bill up to $12,000.

Do you need that much plane, if you are flying at the top competition levels then it provides power to weight advantages, upline and multiple snap rolls. But for us regular middle of the road guys, we can get by for less. Bottom line is still pilot skill, to a point.

I cannot afford high end, but I get by OK with used parts and pieces and try to keep the cost down. For instance I selectively buy used servos and send them in to the manufacturer or service centre over the winter to be checked out. Buy new batteries every couple of years and new props etc. Still not cheap but there are ways to economize.

The other thing that can be said is I aim to maintain 3 flying planes and not a hangar of 15-20 planes. Although 4-5-6 K is a heck of an investment in an airplane, I hear guys brag all the time about having 25-30 planes, many of which cost on average $300-500 each. Add it all up and it comes to a lot of cash either way.

I decided a couple of years ago that I would just have one primary competition plane, a back up plane if the inevitable happens, and one old beater hacking around plane. I sold off everything else to help finance the 3 planes I keep now.

Last edited by Billpilotca; 04-09-2016 at 04:24 PM.
Billpilotca is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:07 PM   #9
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34

I have a 40% Carden extra 260 for sale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	912850  
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:59 PM   #10
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24

Total Props: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sebastien View Post
I have a 40% Carden extra 260 for sale.
Mike,

Nice looking plane but it has that "F" word plastered all over it!

Sorry being a JETI owner I couldn't resist.

I have a 40% Carden Extra 260 as well but I'm keeping mine even though I won't be able to compete this year.

Craig come clean and tell everyone you've decided to stay with your tried and trusted 35% for now.

Mike it's too bad you are in Moncton as your price is very appealing.

Maybe we will be lucky enough to have someone heading out that way this summer that can bring that back to Ontario where I am sure there a few other people interested in that fine 40% Carden.

What do you have in it for power again?
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in