Need some help picking a Sailplane - Page 5 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Sailplanes / Electro-gliders Discuss quiet flight in Canada.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:13 PM   #41

Total Props: 57
Re: Need some help picking a Sailplane

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
There is one major issue along the River, mosquitoes! BUT, with a 10-29km breeze, and lots of deet, they are bearable! The site ESE of me is dryland pasture, the buzzin' lil buggers aren't as bad there! Sometimes.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:58 PM   #42
DHansen
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: rippin the bring
Radio of choice:
Spektrum/JR
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 11

Some days the windier the better
DHansen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:07 PM   #43

We never say that here, our skeeters will end up in Chicago!

Old 01-24-2011, 11:20 PM   #44
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

What tree, believe it or not, we sloped a Sig seniorita (3 ch powered trainer) with engine off on the nose hills once! Went quite well! Except for the landing! Hung it in the buck brush on the back side of the hill. Just about anything that flys can be sloped give the right conditions.
Done most of my sloping with 2 meter thermal gliders just a bit limited on how strong a wind you can fly in!
Like to see your face the first time a thermal comes up the slope & yanks your bird 500 ft up in about 5 seconds! It's a rush!!!
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:50 AM   #45
chuebner
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Curt H
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Tree View Post
Thanks to all that have assisted me in this process. I have made a decision, The ParkZone Radian PKZ4700 ARF is what it will be. Thanks to Curt for finding the one in Regina w/o the TX. That guy can keep that one due to poor communication and the inability to ship it.

I had ordered a 2M Fling it from GH and cancelled the order, getting the glider back to me (under electric power) was the major selling point of the Radian.

The Radian Pro was a close second, but having to purchase a 2.4 TX made the price a bit higher than (me as a beginner) was prepared to pay. I hope I've made the right decision.
You have made a great choice here with the Radian. I am sure you will love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK View Post
What tree, believe it or not, we sloped a Sig seniorita (3 ch powered trainer) with engine off on the nose hills once! Went quite well! Except for the landing! Hung it in the buck brush on the back side of the hill. Just about anything that flys can be sloped give the right conditions.
Done most of my sloping with 2 meter thermal gliders just a bit limited on how strong a wind you can fly in!
Like to see your face the first time a thermal comes up the slope & yanks your bird 500 ft up in about 5 seconds! It's a rush!!!
Another good reason for a powered glider for your 1st one!

I fly Hitec, why...... because I wanna!!

Forum Rules Link
https://www.rccanada.ca/site-rules.pdf
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK View Post
I am quite used to going the "opposite" direction for shorter distances in a fraction of a second!

I am more of a verbal exclamation type of person! You'll see. One thing I am ahead of the curve on is the "looking up" part.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #47
mark_
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Mark
Radio of choice:
DX6i
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

Let us know how you like the Radian...it's a wonderful plane, gentle and forgiving.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:19 PM   #48

Well The Radian arrived today. The wings fit together TIGHT, but I believe they are locked together inside the fuse. Here is an idea for the people at Parkzone- give a measurement from wing tip to wing tip. That way us first timers would KNOW if they are locked. The instructions basically sucked for a newbie! They appear to serve more than just the Radian PKZ 4700. The Radian Pro was even mentioned in the instructions.

Such is life. Common sense needs to be used to get this thing to the point of taking outside and flying. One other thing I don't get is why they don't put a sticker, or some other permanent mark on the wing to indicate COG.

I am not trying to find fault or even bitch, but when you spend that kind of money on the first glider, details are important. IMO

The battery seems to be set up so that you can use it to move the COG slightly. Should a glider be set up so it is slightly nose heavy! I know, another rookie question!!!
Old 01-31-2011, 01:49 PM   #49
chuebner
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Curt H
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Tree View Post
Well The Radian arrived today. The wings fit together TIGHT, but I believe they are locked together inside the fuse. Here is an idea for the people at Parkzone- give a measurement from wing tip to wing tip. That way us first timers would KNOW if they are locked. The instructions basically sucked for a newbie! They appear to serve more than just the Radian PKZ 4700. The Radian Pro was even mentioned in the instructions.

Such is life. Common sense needs to be used to get this thing to the point of taking outside and flying. One other thing I don't get is why they don't put a sticker, or some other permanent mark on the wing to indicate COG.

I am not trying to find fault or even bitch, but when you spend that kind of money on the first glider, details are important. IMO

The battery seems to be set up so that you can use it to move the COG slightly. Should a glider be set up so it is slightly nose heavy! I know, another rookie question!!!
I never even checked mine for CG as I bought it used and it had been flown for 3 flights. There was no damage to the airframe, so I figured it must be OK, installed the battery and flew it.... it flew just fine. Flew greeeeeaaaatttt!

Make sure you put a piece of scotch tape on the horzontal stab to hold it square to the fuse. I put a piece of tape on both sides, top and bottom. I also put a piece of tape on the wing to fuse joint on the top only. Just a little added security.

I fly Hitec, why...... because I wanna!!

Forum Rules Link
https://www.rccanada.ca/site-rules.pdf
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:24 PM   #50

Yup Curt, that must have been an issue in the past. Now they come with 4 pieces of adhesive tape to keep the rudder in place. Jeesh you would think tape was worth it's weight in gold, the cheap buggers!

There was also an extra piece of paper about an ESC Notice which says:

For your convenience, the Voltage cutoff for the E-flite 30A Pro SB Brushless ESC has been presey to the 3-cell low voltage cutoff to match up with the 3S LiPo battery included with this plane. No programming change will be necessary. Normal default setting for this ESC is 74% cutoff.

Whatever that means.

There is also a bind plug thingy. I haven't got a clue, and NO mention of it in the included reading material! I feel like I'm missing something. Maybe brain cells?????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in