LOSI 3.4cc engine for t-ten failure - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Nitro RC Car and Truck Discussion Discuss nitro RC vehicles

Old 04-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
jc179
RCC Apprentice

I am: jc179
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0
LOSI 3.4cc engine for t-ten failure

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi

I recently (mar30) purchased a t-ten new, and went through a few difficulties getting it going... for a new model it had bad battery, spur gear stripped due to the engine mount letting go as the threads being stripped in the pre assembled model I recieved, and now the engine has failed. From googling a bit it seems their aren't a lot of complaints of engine failure for these... I spend most of yesterday breaking it in on the street, at varying speeds. It ended up snapping the connecting rod inside the motor, and there were many bits of this inside the engine case, that I think worked their way up and messed up the sleeve/piston bottom. I haven't pulled the engine apart yet, just removed the back to see what's going on.

As far as running goes, I had richened the main needed out 1/2 a turn from the stock setting as I thought that would keep things cooler and provide a bit more oil to cushion things while breaking in the motor... the question is could this had caused the failure, for example if it hydro locked?

I've opened a case with horizon hobbies in the US (who provided excellent customer service when I called in with my doa battery pack), but in this situation things seem slightly more different - send the motor in and it will be examined, and will provide you with a quote?

So the question is - where should I go from here? Continue to send the motor over to them from Canada at some $$$ expense + repair (sleve + pistion + conrod = price of new motor already), should I pull it apart my self, buy the parts, but a new motor? Is the LOSI 3.4cc a poorly made motor, should I replace it with something else? Will the larger LOSI motor fit and keep the ross starting system? I really like that even with the one way bearing woes, as my two previous cars were (start box mantura model .26 /w rossi, and a cheap redcat tornado s30 /w a pullstart vx.1... I think the start box was the most painful thing to use.... always breaking, needing adjustment...<sigh>.... im sold on owb's .

Any suggestions for my situation?

thanks,

Jonathan
jc179 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in